Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 84/88 to 86 Project

Building Boost
    No good ones. I sold the car around a month ago. Hopefully the new owner finds his way over to the board.

86 SVO 9L - 14.5@98 when stock (Sold)

Wow, whole lot of AWESOME in this thread. Thanks for participating.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by 86svo9l View Post
    No good ones. I sold the car around a month ago. Hopefully the new owner finds his way over to the board.
    Nicely done. I'm trying to draw the line between just tucking, and a tuck with a hole-fill/smooth-job. I think I have enough on my plate just trying to get it running by Thanksgiving. Also, I'm picking up a spare engine this weekend. I'll use that as an excuse to hold off on smoothing the engine compartment until my 2nd motor build is ready to drop in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Wow, whole lot of AWESOME in this thread. Thanks for participating.
    I hope I'm part of that awesomeness!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wouldn't be me, I'm just a hack

Originally Posted by Meotchh
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by SVOC View Post
    Wouldn't be me, I'm just a hack
    I bow before your awesomeness.

On a side note, this Saturday I'm going to look at a little ol' lady's '85 XR7 Turbo that hasn't run in 5 years.

The XR7 turbo was actually a supercharged 3.8, like the SuperCoupe. Anyone interested?

So, after the disappointing Cougar run, I travelled 30 miles to buy a spare 2.3T longblock for $50. Then I went to clear my head at the pick-a-part near my home, where I found a front-mount intercooler from a Probe GT. It looks comparable to the stock SVO/TC intercoolers, so I may use it while I work on my hood graft.

probe_intercooler-2.jpg

probe_intercooler-1.jpg

I still need to get my head done, but once that happens (hopefully in the next 2 weeks), I should be able to reassemble. In the meantime, I'm going to start soldering the crap out of my new wire harness.

I was thinking of converting the front of my Svo to an '85 or '86 four eye as well. My header panel is destroyed and Svo bumper covers are very hard to come by at a reasonable price. I found a four eye front bumper cover but now I'm a little confused. I'll need impact absorbers as well, I'm gathering, but if I do this I will need to shorten the '85 hood? Is that correct? I was hoping this swap would be a little easier, I'm not sure about having to shorten the hood or even how to go about it. I don't need the hood scoop as I'm using a FMIC. Any advice or expertise is appreciated before I start collecting parts.

If you use the the stock '85/86 hood, you will have no problems. If you use the SVO hood, you will find it 1-1/4" longer than the foureye front clip.

You will also need the '85/86 impact absorbers as well. It is a fairly straightforward swap unless you want the SVO hood scoop... Which I do.

Thank you very much for the info. I have a complete front bumper waiting and now I will look for the hood and supports.

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
    I was thinking of converting the front of my Svo to an '85 or '86 four eye as well. My header panel is destroyed and Svo bumper covers are very hard to come by at a reasonable price. I found a four eye front bumper cover but now I'm a little confused. I'll need impact absorbers as well, I'm gathering, but if I do this I will need to shorten the '85 hood? Is that correct? I was hoping this swap would be a little easier, I'm not sure about having to shorten the hood or even how to go about it. I don't need the hood scoop as I'm using a FMIC. Any advice or expertise is appreciated before I start collecting parts.
    Get a hold of SVPU. They make new header panels and adjuster brackets. There is a several week wait time for it to be produced but the quality is top notch and some of the weak points are corrected. It is a bit expensive for someone on a budget, but it is money well spent. I searched forever trying to find decent header panels and adjusters only to find people wanting tons of money for cracked ones. I ended up buying new from SVPU for less than most wanted for broke or cracked used.
    86 SVO 9L - 14.5@98 when stock (Sold)

Your getting there... remember spring is only 4 months away lol
    84 SVO Comp Prep, Dark Charcoal Metallic, 35lb injectors, LA3, TCIC, 18lbs

I have an SVPU header panel. It is one of the worst products I have ever bought. My body shop tried to install it and ended up telling me they couldn't and wouldn't. It took close to 4 months to get it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    I have an SVPU header panel. It is one of the worst products I have ever bought. My body shop tried to install it and ended up telling me they couldn't and wouldn't. It took close to 4 months to get it also.
    That goes without saying. I'm surprised you got it so quickly!
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    Which another reason I'm moving forward with my 4-eye swap.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrcman View Post
    Your getting there... remember spring is only 4 months away lol
    True, but I have one less thing to worry about... No more bi-wing sagging!

First of all, let me say thanks again to Jason for creating such an awesome product for our niche, and THANKS AGAIN for the chance to win it!

The unveiling: Not only where they well packed, but they were packed with red and green tissue paper (not shown) to add to the Christmas spirit!
    Attachment 2427

The Before: Since my car has been sitting in the garage for a few months, it was slowly turning into a shelving unit (against my will)... And while my bi-wing was hanging in there fairly well, I feared the worst and made my own "ghetto" supports to save it against the weight of empty boxes that had begun to stack.
    Attachment 2428
    Yes... Those supports are wood dowels.
    Attachment 2429
    Albeit, effective... But totally ghetto. I could never leave the garage like this.

The After: A picture, or two, is worth a thousand words.
    Attachment 2430
    I can now leave the my garage with pride, once my motor and front end are back together!
    Attachment 2431
    Thanks again to Jason for giving me back my pride!

For the rest of you, you can find your own sense of pride by clicking HERE!

O ya! those are the same ones I bought a few months ago.... I painted mine black after test fit
    IMG_20120809_175457.jpg

Building Boost
    Since you've ported the intake side you might want to flow the cast iron header. Low to no cost and easy to do but time consuming. I made the mistake of doing in the driveway forgetting that the iron dust turns into rust and stained the drive. word.....

The header and the head have been ported already. The intake and throttle body were the only stock components. Now I have a SuperCoupe throttle body and a ported intake. Just need to get the head magnafluxed and, if everything checks out, some bigger injectors and a reassembly!

If you know anyone local that would be interested in my SVO let me know. I'm most likely going to put it up for sale soon.