Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: ''J'' shaped anti rattle clip?

Building Boost

''J'' shaped anti rattle clip?

Hey guys,

While reassembling my front brakes, I noticed I had some kind of J shaped anti-rattle clip, and its been a while since a disassembled everything.. so i have no clue where its going.. from what i remember it goes on the outer pad or something like that.. And I have to get the car inspected before the week-end.. so.. I need some help on this..

That clip, a thin wire clip, goes around the caliper mounting bolt (ends of the clip) and the outer pad (center of the clip). I've got the clips on the 1D and can get a picture if you need one.

Building Boost
    yeah it would be greatly appreciated!!

Here are a few pictures. Now that you see it; it looks so simple.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave

IMG_2731.JPGIMG_2730.JPGIMG_2729.JPG

Are these available via normal parts suppliers? Does anyone have a manufacturer / part number?

My SVO has been missing these ever since I bought the car many moons ago....
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

They did not come on the cars from the factory - was a TSB service item sometime in mid-1985, iirc.

I have a Ford part number at home. They come in a package of four. Will post later.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I'd appreciate that Mike. My front calipers rattle like crazy every time I go over a bump or other road surface irregularities (except when I'm braking). I've been looking for a solution for a long time to eliminate this rattle....

Note that this spring clip only goes over the outside pad and does nothing to stop the rattling for the inside (piston side) pad.

The inside pad should have three "prongs" that fit snugly inside the caliper piston. Unfortunately they're usually sized for the thick phenolic pistons and need to be drastically bent outwards to fit properly (tightly) inside a steel piston.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I've not seen the anti-rattle clips listed in any parts books (but I've not looked to hard). I'd like the part number too.
    I found a set of inner pads that have the larger 3-prongs for the stainless steel piston, Napa UP-7501A-M (it fits an early 90s full size Ford IIRC). You may consider trying these if you want to check the inner pad for rattle.

Clip, Ford #E4LY-2B164-B (obviously an '84 Lincoln part!), 4 pcs, locator #Q29AA.

Img_7314.jpg Img_7318.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Note that this spring clip only goes over the outside pad and do nothing to stop the rattling for he inside (piston side) pad.

The inside pad should have three "prongs" that fit snugly inside the caliper piston. Unfortunately they're usually sized for the thick phenolic pistons and need to be drastically bent outwards to fit properly (tightly) inside a steel piston.
    Correct, the inside pad is not what is causing the noise, it's the outside pad rattling against the pad/caliper mounting hardware.

There is one on Ebay right now, but I contacted the seller and he only has 1 clip (not a pack of 4 as shown in the last pic above).

So I ordered a set from Green Sales Company, should be here later this week in time to install over the weekend.

Thanks a bunch Mike, this is one of those "issues" that's been bugging me for a loooooong time!!!

JT

Building Boost
    Wow nice update! thanks Dave and mike!

Mike when you bend the prongs on the inner pad out will you be able to get a good snug fit with the pistons?
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    Mike when you bend the prongs on the inner pad out will you be able to get a good snug fit with the pistons?
    Yes. It can be an iterative process though. Iirc you only need to move each end outward (larger radius) about 3/8-1/2" (each) but I've slept since I last had to do that (>15 years!).