Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 2: Modifications

Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 2: Modifications

The goals in this build:

- A reliable, low-maintenance 325-350 WHP. All systems in the car must support this power goal.
    - Reduce weight by 200 Lbs.
    - Recreate the red. Repaint the car with no masking lines.
    - A show winning car.
    - Fix the chassis failures inherent to the FOX.
    - Improve the chassis, handling and brakes.
    - Use newer, updated technologies where applicable.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

First modification is installing a Maximum Motorsports front suspension including FOX 5.0 tubular k-frame, MM front SN-95 a-arms, KONI Double-Adjustable front FOX struts and Maximum Motorsport's KONI Coil-Over kit.

Test fitment of the MM k-frame on the engine checking for any clearance issues. Outgoing engine test fit with stock mounts installed.
    Img_1223.jpg
    Img_1224.jpg
    Img_1227.jpg
    Img_1229.jpg
    Img_1231.jpg
    Img_1232.jpg
    Img_1233.jpg
    Img_1234.jpg
    Img_1237.jpg
    Img_1238.jpg
    Img_1246.jpg
    Img_1247.jpg
    Img_1249.jpg
    Img_1254.jpg
    Img_1256.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    With that much clearence under the oil pan Mike, did you give any thought to lowering the engine a little bit to help the center of gravity???
    Just a thought.

^
    I did not. Too many additional changes would be required: gearbox placement, shifter linkage changes, etc. That'd be a good idea if I had used a tall block (for hood clearance) though.

Adding Dual Visors

Wanted to remove the wimpy stock FOX/SVO sun visors and put in a dual-panel visor assembly like the Taurus's have. Loved them in my SHOs.
    Img_1546.jpg
    So I purchased a currently-available set of Taurus visors, iirc 2002 was the earliest available, and the interior body panels where they mounted to get the proper hole templates & spacing.
    Img_1339.jpg
    Img_1272.jpg
    Transferred the hole patterns to poster board, then to 0.015" sheet aluminum for the mockup.
    Img_1331.jpg
    Img_1320.jpg
    Img_1318.jpg
    Img_1319.jpg
    Test fit the template.
    Img_1311.jpg
    Img_1310.jpg
    Clearance the stock mounting holes using the carbide cutter, air rotary and Shop-R2 to keep the mess down.
    Img_1494.jpg
    Img_1499.jpg
    Img_1501.jpg
    Img_1506.jpg
    Unfortunately the mounting angle wouldn't work so I made mounting plates to weld-in at the proper angles. (This pattern always reminds me of Texas.)
    Img_1445.jpg
    Img_1451.jpg

Test fit & label new mounting brackets.
    Img_1459.jpg
    Img_1470.jpg
    Bend & weld brackets, drill screw holes, test fit to inner roof. Add power wiring from the center dome light to each visor.
    VisorFit&Wiring.JPG
    The stock SVO radiator is 19x29" for the core size. I wanted to install a narrower radiator, in two-row aluminum, in the left-most position near the stock location. The new aluminum radiator uses a 19x22" core. This was done to allow an additional ~7" of clear air space on the right side of the radiator core opening. Removed stock spot-welded radiator mounts, and added new mounts for the new mounting pins on the aluminum radiator. The engine charge cooler will go in this new void. And installed a 16" curved-blade SPAL fan to the aluminum radiator.
    Img_1375.jpg
    Img_1380.jpg
    Img_1436.jpg
    Img_1347.jpg
    Img_3556.jpg
    Img_3546.jpg
    Img_3560.jpg
    Img_3553.jpg
    Time to seam-weld all the loose [spot-welded] panels in the front sheet metal and repair assorted stress cracks. Evidence this car has had a very hard life. A LOT of miscellaneous creaking went away from this process. Not to mention the major increase in chassis rigidity (and the jungle gym in the back helped with that also).
    LFCoreSupport.jpg
    LFShockTower.jpg
    LFShockTower2.jpg
    RFInnerFender.jpg

Mike, how many miles / years old when you started this project?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

I was somewhere under 50 ... with LOTS of miles too. Or were you asking about the car??

I started taking the car apart in late 2001 then took a couple years away from the project to recover from a heart surgery. The car saw ~170K street miles including about 500 hours of track time. It was my testbed for most all things SVO.

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    Your welding of the panel seams gives me validation. I did the same when I replaced the front end (frame rails, aprons, shock towers, rad support) on my son's LX. I not only rosette welded the factory spot weld holes but I also seam welded for strength.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Wait until I get to the jungle gym installation.

Moving on to prepping the front suspension modification parts. Here are the straight-arm SN-95 front spindles (1996+). The arms were abrasive blasted for inspection first. Then one of the two needed to have the caliper mounting bosses trimmed to mount the COBRA caliper, LOTS of sharp areas needed deburring, the tie-rod mounting holes were machined out to allow a 5/8" through bolt to mount the bump steer kit and then blasted again (using alumina media) and then painted gloss black.
    Img_1551.jpg
    Img_1553.jpg
    Img_1554.jpg
    Img_1555.jpg
    Img_1557.jpg
    Img_1566.jpg
    Img_1560.jpg
    Img_1561.jpg
    Img_1564.jpg
    Img_1568.jpg

I used a 94 Cobra aluminum MC with a 15/16" bore, and needed to machine the snout down where it pushes into the booster (bolt pattern is same). 94 Cobra MC on left, SVO on right.
    Img_3467.jpg
    Img_3545.jpg

Stock SVO on left, machined Cobra on right.
    Img_3547.jpg

I bought these for the front of the red car and some EradiSpeed+ 13" rotors.
    NewCobraCaliperKit.jpg
    Img_0367.jpg

Milled off the raised COBRA lettering.
    Img_0378.jpg
    Img_0368.jpg

Made a GIBBS program to CNC the "SVO" logo into the new face.
    Img_2355.jpg

Paint & bake.
    Img_2590.jpgImg_2602.jpg

Cut the paint from the SVO logo recesses.
    Img_2750.jpg

Mount on car and hide inside wheel.
    Img_3191.jpg
    Img_2786.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Milled off the raised COBRA lettering...

Made a GIBBS program to CNC the "SVO" logo into the new face...
    Good lord... I want to praise and applaud you, but my jealous rage makes me want to harm you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm very familiar with that Love-Hate kind of relationship.

I don't wanna hijack your thread, so... http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...sion-Questions

Have you heard of or know anyone who runs manual brakes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Mike, do you have a part number for that radiator?? What core size did you use for your intercooler??

i just did the cobra MC swap, and found out that even with the bigger snout size, it still fits on the stock brake booster!

Mike, do you have a part number for that radiator?? What core size did you use for your intercooler??
    Stock core is 19 x 29 in copper with 2 rows. I used a 19x22 two-core aluminum unit with a 16" curved-blade SPAL fan. Seven inches narrower than stock.

Note that copper cores are ~3/8" wide while the aluminum ones are 1.25" wide.

Iirc I ordered it from here:
    http://www.alumrad.com/ford.html
    http://www.alumrad.com/fans.htm

Told him what I wanted size-wise and he made it up for me.

You will need to fabricate a mounting method as the stock brackets will not fit.

More chassis crack repairs. This one is just behind the end of the center console, in the top of the tunnel just below the front of the rear lower seat. It will later get a larger plate welded over it, to reinforce the area and spread the load over a larger area, and where a portion of the jungle gym will attach. Img_2124.jpg
    Img_2913.jpg
    Img_2908.jpg

Underneath shots.
    Img_2117.jpg
    Img_2116.jpg

The fabrication shop. Some nice equipment lives here.
    Img_3332.jpg
    Img_3333.jpg
    Img_3334.jpg
    Img_3337.jpg
    Img_3338.jpg
    Img_3339.jpg

Patch crack in tunnel area shown above.
    Img_3781.jpg

Prepping car for welding. Remove all paint and rubberized coatings.
    Img_3778.jpg
    Img_3779.jpg
    Attachment 3533
    Img_3783.jpg

Plate fitting. The plate were initially cut from some scrap (cheaper) thin sheet metal to fit the required size. Then cut from 0.085" 4130 place and welded in place.
    Img_3786.jpg

"X" marks where the upper rear suspension arm boxes attach. For reinforcement plates and tubes.
    Img_3787.jpg

1.75" x .090" and 1.0" x .090" 4130 tubing pieces.
    Img_3790.jpg

Center plate fitting.
    Img_3828.jpg

Tubing test fit.
    Img_3830.jpg
    Img_3831.jpg
    Img_3832.jpg
    Img_3833.jpg
    Img_3839.jpg

Tack welding tubes and mounting plates.
    Img_3836.jpg

More welding.
    Img_3885.jpg
    Img_3889.jpg
    Img_3891.jpg
    Img_3896.jpg
    Img_3899.jpg