Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGR Rack

AGR Rack

Suggestions, thought, comments, criticisms? My last Cardone rack is sadly not the HiPo rack and the car's steering well...sucks. The core is long gone too. Don''t want to paw thru a bunch of Cardone racks to possibly find the right one. Do I need to match this rack to AGR's pump or is that just marketing fluff?
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

No - use the same pump, no worries.

Just get a 2.5:1 HiPo rack and return the current core you have. No one will care.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mike, you mean get another Cardone one? How do I be sure it's the HiPo? The last one was supposed to be the 2.5:1 and wasn't
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

You make sure you order the 2.5:1 LTL rack. if they send the incorrect one, you make them replace it with what you ordered. At their shipping expense.

Or get one from here:

http://www.buy-steering.com/addtocar.../80-00267.html
    PRICE: $135; CORE: $75

3 year warranty; Free ground shipping. They have a purchase option to pre-pay the return core shipping for $12.00.

What's not to like?

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Paul,

I have an AGR rack. It is better than the Cardone unit from AZ, but it still doesn't feel like the original in my other car. The Cardone previously installed felt like I was driving a Lincoln Towncar. No feel and easy to over drive the front wheel grip. By brother had the same problem with the Cardone units.

Install more caster.

I guess I'm fortunate, I still have my original racks on my '86s and when they need to be rebuilt, I send them out for rebuild.
    It is a bit more expensive, but that way I keep the original steering rack in my car.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Install more caster.
    Doesn't help. The valving in the rack is wrong and provides to much assist.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

If one is wanting to remain stock, adding caster is not an option. There is no factory adjustment for that like there is in the aftermarket CC plates.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Dave, who do you use for your rebuilds????

Chris,
    First; sorry to hear about your car.
    I use Turn One ( http://www.turnone-steering.com/ ) for my rebuilds. It is a small shop, I deal with Jeff who I believe is the owner.
    If/When you contact them, drop my name as I'd like them to know there are a few SVOs out there plus I've initiated discussion with them regarding becoming a vendor for SVOCOP (they are NOT one at this time, but if more SVO owners use their service, it will make becoming a vendor more attractive).
    The cost is reasonable, a bit more than an off the shelf Cardone rebuild, but in my opinion well worth it.
    Dave

Dave where is the part number (and what is it) on the rack itself?? I might check and see if the one in my 86 BWD is original and if so I'll send it in.

Chris,
    I've attached some pictures of the ID location on the rack. For 85-86, this ID will be CV or CW if it is an SVO rack. The rack in the picture is a CW, you'll be able to see it if you look closely. As far as I can tell, there isn't a differentiation for the '84 rack, other than it is a TRW rack. If you went to your Ford dealer for a replacement rack, there was a unique part number...but it doesn't appear that the rebuilders acknowledge the uniqueness of the SVO rack. If you need any more info, let me know.

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

Thanks again Dave. The rack in "Wingless", the 86 2R BWD has CW stamped in it. It has the SVO stamp on it still, like this one. I'll be calling Turn One on Monday.
    front suspension.jpg

Also, IIRC I came across 15:1 cast into the body of some of them also. IIRC maybe around the snout for where the column comes down to it?
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

Chalky,
    Great to hear. It's always good to hear there are still SVO racks on our cars. If it were mine, I'd be doing exactly the same thing...rebuilding it.
    Jeff at Turn one is great to deal with. Tell him you've got a Ford rack, just like the one he rebuilt last year (my SVO steering rack was the first Ford rack he rebuilt-his shop is in Saganaw so I'm sure you can figure out what he works on most). He will need the inner tie rods to set it up, so be sure to send them to him too. No worries, he did a great job and I don't hesitate a bit in recommending him.
    Just a FYI, Rockauto used to have rebuilding service (I just checked their website and didn't see it there) and I started out looking there for a rebuild. When I called Rockauto customer service, they told me that if Cardone (who does the rebuilding) has a rack "just like mine" on the shelf, they would ship that on-the-shelf rack back. I just didn't want to risk loosing my SVO rack and getting "one that steers like a lincoln" back. Turn One cost a bit more, but to me it was worth it.
    Dave

Building Boost
    I just bought a rack from Rockauto, it was supposed to be the 2.5 turn rack. I checked the ID and it was SPR-KO (versus SPR-CV or SPR-CW). I was trying to find out what the SPR-KO rack was out of and in the process learned that the number stamped below the SPR number is the build date starting with the year. The build date on the rack Rockauto sent was 97! I called Rockauto and the only thing they can figure is someone stuck the wrong rack in the box. Anyway, I sent it back. I am just going to have mine rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Chris,
    I've attached some pictures of the ID location on the rack. For 85-86, this ID will be CV or CW if it is an SVO rack. The rack in the picture is a CW, you'll be able to see it if you look closely. As far as I can tell, there isn't a differentiation for the '84 rack, other than it is a TRW rack. If you went to your Ford dealer for a replacement rack, there was a unique part number...but it doesn't appear that the rebuilders acknowledge the uniqueness of the SVO rack. If you need any more info, let me know.

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

Since my orignial post, I have had Turn-One rebuild another steering rack. Still satisfied with his work.

Building Boost
    I'm going to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Since my orignial post, I have had Turn-One rebuild another steering rack. Still satisfied with his work.

Building Boost Bob, get off my lap! Jack Hidley's Avatar
    Turn One does excellent work.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support