Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: brsvo's ongoing project

Two more check marks on the Completed list!!

You will soon find that as you check off items on the To Do / Completed lists, that both lists tend to grow.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    The next question is what head gasket to run and where to get head bolts.

Half Boost
    Well this is encouraging! Rebuilt my 8.8 trac loc last weekend and today got a real live tracking number from Fed Ex (BoPort). Expected delivery Tuesday the 7th.

Half Boost
    Just an update. Made some progress, got the head on and the header installed for the most part. It looks like I will have to make a different turbo coolant line as the stocker doesn't clear the K&N on the turbo and is touching the header. Put the head on last night and came home form work today and found the cam towers with lite surface rust. Oil and a rag took it off but it scared me for a moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You lost me completely: Why would the turbo coolant lines interfere with the turbo inlet or air filter?

The one that shows in the top picture (above) that goes from the oil cooler to the water pump port should be tight up against the cylinder head/cam cover.
    coolanttubes.jpg
    Img_7015.jpg
    Img_8949.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    For the moment I was going to put the K&N on the front of the turbo. Tube E5ZZ-ABA520 touches the header and is in the way of the air cleaner as is.

Stock turbo? Mine (same turbo coolant out tube) clears without any issue - same header.

Half Boost
    Yes its stock. I guess there are some variances in production. It just barely touches the header. Proper CAI would solve the other issue, something I planned on down the road. I just feel it would be better not to heat the coolant any more than needed. If I find the tools and material it shouldn't be a big deal. It was difficult to safety wire the header with the tubes so close to the bolts. I hope it stays tight.

Half Boost
    Question-I have been accused of over tightening things! (no doubt correctly) I don't want things to come apart! So how tight do you tighten a V band clamp and or flat band clamps for inter cooler tubing?

Building Boost
    look at his turbo's inlet.. not stock.. it points straight foward.. it might be the problem?

Half Boost
    Just to clarify the V band is 3" exhaust and the flat band clamps are for the charge cooler. My turbo is stock except for the 3" straight inlet. I believe Rod made a number of changes to the header during the production run. But I may be wrong and the later might have been center mounts?

Great thread and super pics!
    Ron
    The problem I never fix on my cars is the nut that holds the steering wheel

Just dimple the filter. it's a foam-covered wire mesh that can be easily deformed. Might look ugly but it'll work just fine.

Half Boost
    Well I did just what you said and the car is running. I had to add 50% more fuel to the base tune I was provided before it started and after some playing it drives ok. No boost yet as the A/F is jumping around a lot. I did a data log but my Tuner Studio won't recognize the log viewer. Don't know why. I installed it all at the same time from my Pimp purchase.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Just a thought, you may want to move that air filter forward some, you're gonna be sucking a LOT of hot air where it's sitting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I need to do a CAI for it! I have been playing with the Pimp system and it got me for a while. The AFR was jumping from 10-18 over and over. I thought it was a poor wiring job(I'm no pro with wiring) But after all the reading I have done I got in the car and got too conservative for my own good. Rich misfires make the AFR go way lean on the gauge. I have been leaning it out and now its running pretty good off boost. In boost even though the AFR is where it should be I am getting a bad miss. Sounds like compressor surge. I am wondering if my Tial BPV is a problem or if my turbo/wastegate just isn't big enough for the head and cam? (Evergeen T3/T4 with a clipped turbine wheel and who knows what compressor) When I ordered it from Charlie 5 years ago I told him mildly ported head and a cam in the future. When I E mailed him to ask what wheels were in it he said the records were in cold storage so he couldn't tell me. With the boost controller I bought turned all the way down it still makes boost very early and more than I want this far into the tune.

Half Boost
    I moved the air cleaner down away from the header but wasn't happy with that. After playing with the tune this morning and having a beer with lunch it was time to move on. Pulled the BOV and will make a block off plate at work to take that out of the equation. On to the CAI. I had stuff laying around from old projects, so here is the progress. I'm one 12 piece of 3"aluminum tubing and one straight connector away from an air cleaner in the fender well.

Sounds like progress to me!

Half Boost
    Well its been a trip! Here are the pics of the CAI completed. Boost control issues and a whacko AFR guage while attempting to tune the PIMP system resulted in a blown head gasket. So it comes back apart again. I read somewhere that a re torque of the head bolts after a heat cycle is a good idea. I didn't do that maybe I should this time. Will check all the decks for flatness for sure. I am torn about going to a external wastegate. Not sure I need it but boost spikes with the control I have now bother me. It would be a lot more work and expense.

Nice work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.