Thread: Lite weight SVO engine

Lite weight SVO engine

I came across this article in a popular science magazine. Thought it was interesting http://books.google.com/books?id=FzC...0crank&f=false

Some Boost
    I remember reading an article about that engine. I'm amazed at where they are putting plastic these days. I've wondered what it takes to plastic-mold some new intakes, but I was only musing.

Some Boost
    I remember this and the possible applications of polymers to race engines. When I was in college in the late 80's I knew a couple of grad students in polymer engineering and they thought we'd have plastic engines and ceramic pistons by 2000.
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    I remember that article and some others from that time. When I was in college in late 80's I knew a couple of grad students in polymer science who thought we'd have plastic engines and ceramic pistons by now.
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

That's been around a while, hasn't it?
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

It brought up a lot of questions for me. They had a prototype, did they get an engine for the Imsa gt car and test it? Did cheap fuel kill this project or was ford afraid a 4cylinder would kill the V8? Did a hot performing engine set the stage for all the DOHC stuff we have today? Did you notice the intake and exhaust were on opposite sides?

Neat read! It's interesting to hear them talk about carbon fiber and composites as such "new" stuff when it is so prevalent today. Clearly it didn't work out the way they thought it would.