Thread: Using a 88 Turbo Coupe boost sol. on an early svo

Building Boost

Using a 88 Turbo Coupe boost sol. on an early svo

So we pinned Rays 85 for the LA3 and I found him a boost contrl solenoid here with the plug from an 88 TC.

Im gathering i'm using the red n yellow wires in his car, but which of those goes to which [color] wire in the 88 TC solenoid. Thanks !

Question

Yes if any one could help with wiring would greatly appreciated !
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Most solenoids are not directional. Some may have a damping diode in them though.

Get out your ohmmeter and check it in both directions. If it reads the same, it does not matter which polarity direction.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    How interchangeable are these in general? I saw on the Tbird forum (I think) people using an Audi solenoid, but I can't find that thread if I am even remembering it correctly while under the influence of allergies and antihistamines.

Sure, with the specs I can find a solenoid that would work, but alas I don't have the specs.

Right now I have the manual boost controller, but at sometime would like to use the LA3's boost management if I can source the components easily enough.

Building Boost
    Mike i'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to wiring, pinning the LA3 is about as good as I get. I looked at a wiring diagram Ray had because obviously the boost solenoid wire AT the EEC end of things is not yellow or red but the wires coming out under hood are yellow and red....

If I Had it my way the waste gate would get wired shut and there'd be C 16 in the tank.

I was kinda hoping for a connect the red wire to the and the yellow wire to the... .. lol...

What year is the SVO? Does it have a Boost Control Module??

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mike it is a Turbo Thunderbird boost control that we are working with ?We rertied the original one from the car, My car is 85.

Building Boost
    Mike, its an early 85 SVO. It has the goofy box on it to control boost just like the older 84s did and was orginally a inline intake/green top/older eec car.

Now it has 4 square, LA3, and we are installing air charge temp, new 35s, and would like to wrap up the boost control tonight too if possible... sorry i'm not of more help... im gonna try a few things when I get there... thanks Mike!

There are three wires coming from the electrical harness to the BCM, and another two from the BCM to the 85/85 BCS. Take out the BCM and early BCS. Save them somewhere.

The three-wire harness will remain. The three wires are +12VDC power (ignition switched), chassis ground and the EEC Boost Control output coming from the EEC. On the 84/85 models the +12VDC power source goes through the infamous 1-Amp slow-blow fuse behind the dash. I *think* it's red. Check this with a voltmeter to make sure it has +12VDC power. That wire will go to one side of your new BC solenoid.

Iirc the black wire is chassis ground. Verify that with a voltmeter (with ignition off). The remaining wire is the EEC Boost Control signal wire and the EEC provides the grounding path. This is the other wire that will go to the new boost solenoid.

Make sure the new solenoid is at least 30 Ohms, 50-70 is more better. The driver transister in the EEC is only rated to 0.8-Amps and 30 Ohms will draw about 0.5 Amps which should be considered a reasonable steady value for continued reliable operation. Note that the driver will probably die before the 1-Amp fuse does. If needed, add some in-line resistance to the solenoid circuit (1/2 watt 20 Ohm resistor from Radio Shack will do just fine).

I *may* have some pictures of this area, but I'd have to search for them.

Building Boost
    Well,now i dunno whats going on. I installed his new injectors, and installe a pin with some wire into pin 25 as were were going to hook up the air charge temp sensor, then do BCS last..

Went to fire car, no dice.. has fuel, has spark, but will not start????????????????????//

Took his LA3 home, stuck it in my bird... vreoooooooom.... fired right up...

So there is a wiring issue in his car now.. joy of joys...

Use Chris Roth's chart to make sure he appropriate wires (pins) are in the right numbered holes.

Building Boost
    They are, it ran with this LA3 [his car did] just fine but he had 3 inj leaking] so we replaced those, and all I did was pull the eec out, add the pin into slot 25, hadn't even hooked up the Air charge TO it, and he wanted to start it just to check injs.. then the no start condition and the solenoid stuck on as well in cranking mode...

I do have a question, I have some pinouts that show NOTHING at pin 56, when infact in both my TC and his car there is a blue wire going to pin 56.. just wondered what thats for... my pinouts are from the corral site... I lost the link to Chris roths stuff would you happen to have it.

It's the oddest thing this car ran, and was repinned all good to rock n roll on the LA3 already I was just adding a pin to 25...

I went over all the pins to make sure one wasn't stretched open/bad contact, or that none of them were popping out and none are... im lost. It has spark and fuel [pressure]. His injector harness looks a bit gypsy so i am gonna bring up one I have [luckily I have an older one like the svo style,but I hope thats not it cause I dont really wanna get off it.. <but will if he needs it>.

Thanks Mike.

Building Boost
    No pin 56?? THOSE are the pinouts I have printed... thanks Mike...

Smile

Update, the so called rebuilt injectors I got from a guy locally would not work , I think from sitting for so long that they where varnished up from sitting so long , we pulled the fuel rail off the intake and turned the key some where not spraying at all so we took my original reinstalled them and turned the key and she fired right up, am going to buy brand new ones and save all the head aches, my injectors 3 of the four leak at the plastic body meets the steel Thanks mike for all your help.

Another SVO back on the road again??

Party On, Wayne!

Smile

She is getting close , finish up with mechanical and then back to the body and paint .

Gotta look pretty!