Thread: TFC Plating

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar

TFC Plating

Hi All, thought I would add a quick note about TFC Plating. I took them a bunch of brackets and hardware, in various states and conditions and this is what they gave me back, I'm very pleased. Turnaround was 7 days and it cost me $65 to have all these parts re-plated in yellow zinc dichromate. I will be sending more stuff to them for the balck plating but I highly recommend them.

I dealt with Larry and their phone number is (503)771-0969. You can also find them at http://tfcplating.com

In case anyone is wondering, the parts appear a little green due to the CFL lights in my kitchen. In sunlight they have that beautiful rainbow gold colour. Also, I know the exhaust hanger brackets are supposed to be bare steel, but I hate rusty brackets, love the look of the YZD and if anyone notices that they're the wrong finish, they're not having a good enough time!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NICE work! If they notice those exhaust hangers I would be more concerned about their health & well being. After all that would clearly indicate you just ran them over.

BTW, do they replate fuel rails? I have an old rusty one I want to sell off as NOS...
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Nice work Chris.
    Is this going to be a very nice weekend bruiser or a show car?
    Loss of attention to detail on this one :-)

bit of both Jeremy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    I should edit, damn auto type phone, LOTS of attention

Smile

Looks great , great deal.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Half Boost
    Chalky,
    If someone notices the exhaust brackets and says something, you can tell them if they dont like it they can buy the car from you and change them themselves.
    Thats what I have to say about having SVO emblems on my '84 fenders.

Wink

Chris, I shure like those exhaust brackets they would look good on my car. hint hint
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Those came out fantastic!!
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    ...the parts appear a little green due to the CFL lights in my kitchen...
    Hehe...Car parts in the kitchen...yup, he's a true car guy!!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Half Boost
    Guess I fit too!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    Guess I fit too!!!
    I would dare to say anywhere inside of the house qualifies!
    Ron

Building Boost
    Speaking of fuel rails are they yellow zinc dichromate plated from the factory? If not what was the finish? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    NICE work! If they notice those exhaust hangers I would be more concerned about their health & well being. After all that would clearly indicate you just ran them over.

BTW, do they replate fuel rails? I have an old rusty one I want to sell off as NOS...

Yes, the fuel rail is yellow zinc dichromate. I didn't have it played cause its still on the engine

Here's a link to a discussion on the Concours Mustang forum about engine bay platin types.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum...p?topic=1134.0

Building Boost
    Thanks for the info and the link, I've been wanting to find more info on engine bay plating.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Yes, the fuel rail is yellow zinc dichromate. I didn't have it played cause its still on the engine

Here's a link to a discussion on the Concours Mustang forum about engine bay platin types.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum...p?topic=1134.0

I couldn't decide if this question should go in the "Engine" section or here with the "plating" topic. Since it is more of a "project" than a tech issue...

I am doing some more detailing over the winter in preparation for next years show season and would like to have the brackets on the throttle body replated. Looking at Chris's pictures in the first post on this topic I see the throttle cable mounting brackets, but not the actual brackets that pivot on the throttle body itself.

Has anyone ever torn down their throttle body to have these two brackets replated? How far can you actually diassemble these two pieces?
    1986 2R Comp Prep
    1986 9L Comp Prep

Has anyone ever torn down their throttle body to have these two brackets replated? How far can you actually disassemble these two pieces?
    Iirc that plate is staked onto the end of the throttle shaft and would take some effort to remove and re-install it. Might be easier to remove the staked throttle plate screws, rmove the throttle plate, file off the threaded hole area to make it smooth on the outside diameter and remove the throttle shaft as an assembly. Then plate the assembly.

First I'd recommend locating new throttle plate shaft seals. I have a nice colelctin opf replacement stake-able brass screws for the shaft on re-assembly. Many decades ago i got a set form Ford but i doubt they still service those now. Might be able to adapt something from a Webber carb or throttle body as they use the same shaft diameters, but it won't be a plug and play operation.

Choose your poison!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite