Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My engine build and Project KTMOTC!

Was the crank turn-able when the engine was on the stand being assembled? It had to turn at some point just to install the rod caps.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Sounds like the oil pump might be locked up?!?!?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    oil pump is new and works when distributor is stabbed
    it did turn when i installed the new bearings, but didn't bother putting it to #1TDC like i should of, something got jacked up with the rear seal as well.. it spit oil out when i started to fill it up like there was a giant hole in the back.

If you remove the timing belt, can you turn the crank? How about the cam?
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Cam turns. Crank will not via the pully bolt.

I'm going to pull it one more time.

You have a pickup truck and some free time over a weekend? I can put together a spare engine stand. Arizona isn't that far away from Texas.

Just sayin'.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Unfortunately I have two impractical cars, the terminator and the brokeVO.

I just need time and motivation.

Some Boost
    i put my svo on craigslist today. i found out im deploying in around jan and need 1 less thing to move. chances are someone will give me cash, low ball me, or i wont sell. so either way i suppose its better than doing nothing. i may have to tempt my luck and pull the engine again but im really lacking the motivation to do it. again.

Or just wait until after you return from deployment.

And be careful out there.

Some Boost
    i am divorced and have 1.5 cars. i will not leave my cobra with my xwife as she managed to break stuff on my svo when it was parked lol. so my stuff will go to storage. i doubt anyone will want it as its christmas time and money is tied up so ill probably get really really caffienated and do what i can.

im doing postal duty in Kuwait, easy

Im doing postal duty in Kuwait, easy
    Watch out for paper cuts then!

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsvo View Post

im doing postal duty in Kuwait, easy
    I would hold on to the SVO and wait till you come home to mess around with it, maybe you will figure out the prob. I know this, I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that Ive been to hell and back with along with my SVO and theres been many times I just got frustrated with it to the point where I almost took a bat to it, burned it, ect. Sometimes walking away from it for a bit and gathering yourself is the best thing. I finally got it going, and you will too just have faith. Either way, be careful out there and thank you for your service, I salute all you armed force personell.

Some Boost
    Well, my project has come to an end.. its not the way i wanted it to end but i suppose its for the best.
    Put SVO on craigslist for 1500$, guy picked it up the next day for 1400. from this ive learned a few things...

Good things:
    -I got more experiance than i wanted.
    -I have an empty garage to park my cobra in now
    -One less thing to throw money at.

Bad things:
    -I no longer have a 2nd car, then again i havnt had one for the past 6 months so i suppose i wont miss out

well i guess thats it.. ill have to dig around my garage and post up whatever knick knacks i have left and clean up.

Sigh.

Some Boost
    yeah.. i know the feeling.
    if i didnt have this deployment i would of kept it.

on a positive note the new owner knew something about them, but i suspect he is a typical parts car collector so someone else will be fixing it in another 5-10 years.

We will revisit your SVO Ownership status when you return from your deployment. Maybe if Mitch still has his black 86 then, ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    We will revisit your SVO Ownership status when you return from your deployment. Maybe if Mitch still has his black 86 then, ...
    Stay safe in the sand box. There are still plenty SVOs out there & as Mike mentioned, mine may still be available.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Wow, just read this. I know you sold it, but that engine is junk. It would need a new crank at least and a complete overhaul. Always check you oil pressure asap on a new engine startup, if you have none shut it off, you have a problem!! Having oil pressure is your number 1 priority on a new startup, everything else is secondary, pricey lesson here for you and I hope people can learn from this. Also take your time and go over all items a few times to make sure all the parts,pieces,bolts torqued properly and everything is lubed up.
    Happy wrenching!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakePlisskin View Post
    Wow, just read this.
    I just read through the ending. This makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Sigh.
    Totally. What did I get myself into! LOL. In my short ownership I have yet to do anything. I bought a very good driver quality original. Heater core and cosmetics are first. Hope mechanical isn't for a while other than valve seals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Stay safe in the sand box. There are still plenty SVOs out there & as Mike mentioned, mine may still be available.

Good luck!
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Darran, I know what I got into! lol. I got a clean original car also, clean paint and no rust is at top of my list when buying an older car. Mechanicals are easy for me, been doing it my whole life!
    I'll probably do a heater core also just because. I've done the deed before so I know the drill.