Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My engine build and Project KTMOTC!

Some Boost
    the new seals are felpro out of a gasket kit. they look like small metal buckets with a small spring on top. Keep in mind the engine was rebuilt at some time hence the .030 over pistons. i agree they are trash as i found those small metal bits floating around the head. gaskets and bearings will be getting replaced as the cam bearing had some aged discoloration on them as well (well slick spots)

I am learning more and more about this engine every day haha..

Just for future reference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Add some of this during assembly to reduce the amount of propane needed on dis-assembly.

lube.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    thanks for the turbo pictures.. Mine all broke flush with the exhaust side when i took it off almost a year ago. I was too excited to put on 3in

Some Boost
    Finally got my money.. Pistons ordered, Rings ordered, Oil pump ordered.. forgot to get a new pick up tube bleh.. ill get it eventually..

Changing the TOB and Clutch cable on my Mystichrome Cobra tommarrow....so excited..

Some Boost
    So playing with my turbo the other day in the garage, the wheel is alot harder to spin now so i squirted some oil and spun it by hand.. i rounded the last bolt off and cant get the dam thing to spin lol.. I know of another t3 turbo at the junkyard from a murkur, but..... i broke all the bolts on it when i was getting the elbow. I pretty much blew thru my money on bills and stuff so i may have to scoop up that JY turbo and extract the bolts.
    Ordered my diamond pistons from Flatlander around the 26th and they ship directly from the manufacturor so i hope to get these sometime soon.

Some Boost
    i got the turbo apart lol.. one of the exhaust side bolts i had to cut off bleh..

Good news is i got my rods resized to accept the floating pistons.. dun dun duuuun

Some Boost
    well, its been almost what.. 6 months now. started with a picture of an empty block, now here is a picture of a filled block

What happened to the picture???
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Some Boost
    Lol reorganized my albums.
    This is the last picture I took. I've got the head put on, all accessories mounted and some sensors plugged in. Over the past week I put the transmission back in and now stumped on the hard water lines, the fuel rail situation, and typical questions associated with inline to square intake swap. I'm so freaking close.
    I still need to adjust the dp because we welded it too low, renew registration, and hopefully it doesn't need inspected so I can putt around. Matter of fact I'm getting ancy just thinking about it. going to turn some wrenches for lunch.

Some Boost
    Ever wonder how long an svo will run without the hex shaft at the end of the distributor and oil pump? ill tell you, about 30 minutes. I siliconed it in at one point and spun the aux shaft by hand, i saw it spew oil out of the passages. i installed the motor had it running 30 minutes.. died at the end of my driveway, started up and adjusted timing, click, nope wont start, click, nope wont start, try turning by hand, nope wont turn. thanks. im about finished with this car. 6 months of waiting and something minor like the Aux setup screwed me over again. this is the third time that little area has made me want to punch kittens.

i had zero oil pressure, i figured i didnt have the right boot on the sensor so i replaced the sensor. I was tracking down a diagram to figure it out today.

Ouch!
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

I'm confused. Does the hex rod you have not have the positioning thingie (push-on spring clip) on it? It should not be removable from the top, but only after removing the oil pump.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    It does have the disk on it but Ive always put it in from the top. I never thought about it going in with the oil pump as I usually think of it as part of the distributor.

That "disk" is supposed to keep it between the pump body on the bottom and the casting boss in the bock at the top. With the more tapered end of the shaft upwards (towards the top of the block) so it will slide easier into the bottom hex pening of the distributor shaft. Then when installing the dist, it pushes the shaft down into the oil pump hex drive (positive stop dwnwards) and the disk keeps it from coming up out of the oil pump hex when removing the dist assy.

I may have some pics somewehre but I'm too lazy (or tired - it;s hard to tell the difference sometimes) to look just now. Maybe over the weekend.

Some Boost
    i know what you're talking about. when i was outside pulling my motor i realized why it didnt have the disk.. last time i had an Aux gear failure i replaced the pump and forgot to put the shaft in after everything was bolted in. I took the disk off and slid it into the top.

#2 piston rod bearing welded itself together, and then onto the crank. fingers crossed it can be turned as it left a booger of material that will not peel off.

I had a similar incident many decades ago on a SBF. The rod is much longer and the "feel" of installing the distributor and getting proper hex shaft engagement is less sure. Yep, made it about 30-40 spirited miles before it died. I learned then what Mark Webber often feels today.

Some Boost
    An idea of what im dealing with, 1 car garage, basic tools. Ive been in a 5 hour class during the day for Hazardous materials preparer, then roughly 6-8 hours a day bolting everything together this past week. I dont have a lift, i rigged some chains and straps to a probably smaller than it should be beam with a come-along as my hoist. I originally wanted this done by oct...buut shtuff happens.

Dedication I like it lol

Some Boost
    Well.. engine is back in and still wont budge. i replaced all bearings and polished the crank, re-lubed with new assembly grease, torqued back to spec and nothing. i cant get it to turn over by hand or with starter. the transmission is in as well, i cant get it to budge in gear or in neutral so im out of ideas and patience. this project has drained me financially and spiritually so im afraid ive done my best of keeping the rednecks from putting a 5.o in it as im done and its going on craigslist soon. If anyone has any ideas of what to do let me know.