Thread: still more 8.8 swap questions...??

still more 8.8 swap questions...??

Have researched this in numerous sources, so muchconflicting information, a lot of "I think"s and "IIRC"s.Here is what I have established, and yet to be resolved:

1) 87-88 Turbo Coupe is “bolt-in” other than thedamper bracket mounting hole needs to be re-drilled appx 2” lower. Remove 4bolt axles, swap over SVO 5 bolt axles.

2) Lincoln Mark 7 is “bolt-in” other than thedamper bracket mounting hole needs to be re-drilled appx 2” lower. Already has5 bolt axles.
    a. Do I have to swap over the SVO brakes to theLincoln or TC housing?

3) The SVO / TC / Mark 7 axle is wider than “standard”79-93 Fox housing by 1.5”
    a. Is it 1.5” per side, or 1.5” total (3/4” perside)?
    b. Is the housing wider, or just longer axles?
    c. Will a Fox GT / 5.0 8.8 drum housing work w/SVOaxles & brakes? Or is it to narrow?

4) Will the Ford Racing M-4006-B373 work in an SVO(using SVO brakes / axles)?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Some Boost
    4) Will the Ford Racing M-4006-B373 work in an SVO(using SVO brakes / axles)?
    This is a direct bolt-in using the SVO axles and brake components. The bracket for the center brake line will need to be modified to work with the large 8.8 pumpkin. I have one in the road warrior.

Building Boost
    I've got an 8.8 sitting in my garage waiting to swap in but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got all new parts ready to go in but have some misgivings about the 4.10 gears I bought (Ford Racing). Has anyone here had any experience running 4.10s in an SVO mostly for street and road use? Sounded like a good idea when I bought all the parts.

Thanks in advance,

IMHO, 4.10s are a bit much for a street & highway driven car. You end up keeping the revs pretty high all the time. If you're only interested in stop-light sprinting, and don't mind constantly shifting, they're great.

In street cars the 4.10 works much better with the v-ate 3.35:1 first gear ratio gearset than with the 4.0x/3.51:1 that comes in the SVO.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Mike, I finally did it. The 8.8 is in SVOOOM and the driveshaft clank is GONE! I don't feel a lot of difference between 3.73 and 4.10. Seems to be so much better now. I took it out the other night and no whine, no growl just smooth. I took my time setting up the new gears and got a near perfect mesh pattern on drive side and coast side. Now I'm dealing with a cracked E6. Any headers that are good now?

BTW, all of the SVO brake brackets came across directly onto the 8.8. The mounting holes are already there but must be tapped to M8-1.25.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Building Boost
    Just chiming in here again about the 4.10 gears in the SVO. It is very difficult to feel much difference between the 3.73s and the 4.10s, really! It still runs like stink, passes most people on the freeway and I have no idea what top end is now. In 1986 I learned that it would, indeed, go 140 mph but the road that I did it on is now in the middle of the City of Surprise, AZ. I'm sure it will still get there, even with 4.10s since I also have a BoPort 1.9 cam that just LOVES high rpms!