Thread: History of your svo?

History of your svo?

What is the best way to determine the history of your svo? I pulled a carfax not much info there? Can my local dealer tell me more using vin? Anyone have a few research tips for me?

Carfax and dealer would be the last place to look IMO!

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING - but your VIN number
    The internet would be the place to start
    With a Marti report you can get the original selling dealer
    Selling dealer may have original owner info
    If the car was sold recently, listed on Ebay or tracked by SVOOA, SVOCA or http://www.svoregistry.com/ info is out there. You can work backwards, do DMV searches in state/states

Mostly ASK SVO owners in the area or online near you what they know of your car! (you maybe surprised)

Mark
    P.S. Look at all your posts and I see no VIN so I couldn't do all of the above for you!

Before 9-11 you could call up the state DMV and get all kinds of information on your car or any car with the vin number. I got lots of good stuff on my Hertz car from Texas. Not any more. Good luck with your hunt. Asking on the svo sites is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    Carfax and dealer would be the last place to look IMO!

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING - but your VIN number
    The internet would be the place to start
    With a Marti report you can get the original selling dealer
    Selling dealer may have original owner info
    If the car was sold recently, listed on Ebay or tracked by SVOOA, SVOCA or http://www.svoregistry.com/ info is out there. You can work backwards, do DMV searches in state/states

Mostly ASK SVO owners in the area or online near you what they know of your car! (you maybe surprised)

Mark
    P.S. Look at all your posts and I see no VIN so I couldn't do all of the above for you!
    86 2a paint vin GF113417 I bought her in South Carolina? Any info appreciated?

I agree with Mark's post, Marti Report will give you the starting point and you already have the end point.

I would begin with the previous owner that you purchased the car from in SC. They should be able to tell you who they bought it from. You then contact that person and continue to work your way back. This can sometimes be very rewarding if one of the previous owners comes up with the window sticker, oem parts, etc.

Howard Pardee , SAAC fame, once told me that the best time to get all of the available info on the car, is prior to the purchase. Once the car is sold, the seller begins to lose interest in remembering specific details.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I agree with Mark's post, Marti Report will give you the starting point and you already have the end point.

I would begin with the previous owner that you purchased the car from in SC. They should be able to tell you who they bought it from. You then contact that person and continue to work your way back. This can sometimes be very rewarding if one of the previous owners comes up with the window sticker, oem parts, etc.

Howard Pardee , SAAC fame, once told me that the best time to get all of the available info on the car, is prior to the purchase. Once the car is sold, the seller begins to lose interest in remembering specific details.

Good luck!
    so far I have found out I am the second owner. Originally purchased at Duval Ford in Georgia. And yes once sold previous owner stopped answering questions.

Found out original DSO was Lou, KY. Bought in Central IN. Glad to bring it home. Well a lot closer. Have not researched what dealer in the area originally sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by SVOTim View Post
    Found out original DSO was Lou, KY. Bought in Central IN. Glad to bring it home. Well a lot closer. Have not researched what dealer in the area originally sold it.
    You can get a lot of that information from a Marti report. They are at martiauto dot com.

Building Boost
    I live in S.C. and have owned many SVO's over many years.

Tells us what city the car was purchased, when, post a picture and give us particular details of the car. We may just recognize it! A lot of special interest cars came into the Charleston area due to military assignments - those are hard to track the history.

Need the last 9 digits of VIN to provide any useful information for you you only provided 8 GF113417

Quote Originally Posted by svobrad View Post
    I live in S.C. and have owned many SVO's over many years.

Tells us what city the car was purchased, when, post a picture and give us particular details of the car. We may just recognize it! A lot of special interest cars came into the Charleston area due to military assignments - those are hard to track the history.
    kiawah island

Building Boost
    Kiawah is a ritzy area.......will be in Charlestown area this week. I know there is a Mustang club there so will follow up with them also.

Quote Originally Posted by svobrad View Post
    Kiawah is a ritzy area.......will be in Charlestown area this week. I know there is a Mustang club there so will follow up with them also.
    thanks the mans name is Rakes

Quote Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
    Need the last 9 digits of VIN to provide any useful information for you you only provided 8 GF113417
    You can try all the numbers 0 to 9 including X for the "Check number" in the VIN.

Mark
    P.S. I checked all I have and didn't find car. (But found a couple 2A's very close)

Some Boost
    037.jpg041.jpg042.jpg

Got the certificate from Ford last week. Build date agrees with Marti report

Sweet

Building Boost
    good ol marty reports, dont get any better than that.

Building Boost
    Just for the hell of it I'd like to track down the first new car I bought, an 86 1C with the factory sun roof. I don't have the VIN but I bought it from McCoy Lincoln Mercury in Rising Sun MD. I sold it to a guy around 1988 or 1989 in College Park, MD, I believe he was a mail man. Anybody have any ideas?
    Kevin

86 1C
    66 K-code Coupe