Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 4: Power

I'd be afraid to run that head....
    Fortunately the gremlins only come out at night!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Oil pump time. Used a Melling pump. Disassemble, check edges and clearances, adjust as needed. Deck all the surfaces, blast (walnut shells) to clean, wash, rinse, re-assemble.

Img_4336.jpg
    Img_4338.jpg

Check fitment of the oil pick-up tube. Desired bottom of pickup to pan clearance printed in the Tech section of the Esslinger catalog for reference, found here: http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/tech-section.pdf:

"Oil pick-up should be 1/8" to 3/16" from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the oil sump".

This requires some measuring and adjusting. In my particular situation for this engine I needed to relocate the support strap that fits onto the #4 main cap stud as its height changes when using main cap straps.

Img_4339.jpg
    Img_4340.jpg
    Img_4345.jpg
    Img_4346.jpg
    Img_4347.jpg
    Img_4349.jpg
    Img_4350.jpg

Measuring the distance from the block pan gasket surface to the bottom of the pick-up tube thingie.
    Img_4355.jpg

Measuring from gasket surface to bottom of pan. Be sure to add compressed thickness of the gasket being used (4-piece cork in this application).

Img_4356.jpg

Once we know how much to relocate the pickup bottom, we can work on getting the support brace to fit onto the stud. Cut off old brace, bend it to work, mark new location, glue in place.

Img_4528.jpg
    Img_4533.jpg
    Img_5318.jpg

Used a flexible silicon-brass filler.

Img_5326.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

ARP main studs, straps, washers,12-point nuts and installation/removal tool.

Img_4175.jpg
    Img_4176.jpg
    Img_4177.jpg
    Img_4178.jpg

Oil galley plugs installed. New Ford parts with Vibra-Tite on them.

Img_4190.jpg
    Img_4192.jpg
    Img_4193.jpg
    Img_4195.jpg

Pics of painted oil sump (aka oil pan).

Img_4172.jpg
    Img_4174.jpg

Oh my!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Oh my!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears??

More parts prepping. Here's the front crank pulley in 3-groove. After powder coating. BTW I do not recommend PCing v-belt pulleys for a high-speed engine as there is VERY little friction for the belts to grab. In any case here is the timing TDC notch marked with some white touch-up paint to make it easily visible.

Img_5211.jpg

Other end of crank: Mounting flywheel with new ARP bolts & some 262 Red Loctite. Note the crank bolt hole threads are 12mm x 1.0mm and you'll want a bottoming tap to clean those holes.

Img_4287.jpg
    Img_4288.jpg

Lastly always check run-out after mounting the flywheel to the crank (much easier with the engine on a stand) just to make sure it's running flat. If it's off by more than 0.002", dismount, clean the mounting surfaces again, remount, re-torque, re-test. If still off, surface or replace the flywheel.

Img_4290.jpg

Assemble the pistons to the rods. New word: SpiroLoc. These pistons use a triple lap SpiroLoc. Installation takes some practice while removal takes a special tool to unwind them out of the groove. You can never have too many spares locs. Also be sure to check the total end play of the piston pin inside the piston with both locs in place. MAX of 0.006", prefer 0.003".

Img_4236.jpg
    Img_4238.jpg
    Img_4239.jpg
    Img_4243.jpg

One side installed.

Img_4244.jpg

Add piston pin and rod - be sure to get the rod orientation correct!

Img_4246.jpg
    Img_4247.jpg

Second SpiroLoc with pin installed. Time for rings.

Img_4248.jpg

These pistons have the pin bore intersecting a portion of the oil ring land area - the result of a longer rod and longer stroke which requires the use of a shorter height piston (without a tall deck block). The bottom of the oil ring groove uses a thick hard steel bottom spacer support ring and it goes in first. Note that almost all rings have some mark to indicate the up direction while these bottom groove supports have a dimple on the bottom - that goes in the ring groove void to keep them from rotating.

Img_4295.jpg
    Img_4296.jpg

Standard three-piece PC-style oil ring with a wavy expander and two thin steel wipers with hard-chromed edges.

Img_4298.jpg

Note the wavy expander has little steps on the top and bottom to hold the chrome rails out against the cylinder walls. Be sure to get the chrome rails to mount on the steps properly.

Img_4299.jpg
    Img_0000.jpg
    Img_4300.jpg
    Img_4301.jpg

Finished ring package installed onto piston.

Img_4332.jpg

Rod/piston installation into block. Magic thread and bearing lube.

Img_4304.jpg

Clean rod bolts. Note the reduced diameter shank, the large radius reliefs, rolled threads and 12-point, washered-face heads. These 3/8x24 bolts go to 50 Ft-Lbs with lube.

Img_4305.jpg

Rods use dowels to maintain rod-to-cap alignment.

Img_4306.jpg
    Img_4309.jpg

Note the already work-hardened (& smooth) bearing surface where the washered head on the rod bolt mates to. These surfaces must be fully torqued together at least five times before final assembly if you have a new rod or fastener. If not, proper torque cannot be achieved.

Img_4308.jpg

Lube everything.

Img_4311.jpg
    Img_4327.jpg

Piston and rod install from the crankshaft side.

Img_4333.jpg
    Img_4334.jpg

Short block assemblies. Posi-Drive head driver (similar to a #3 Phillips bit) to install the screws (6x1.0mm) that mount the auxiliary shaft thrust plate. These screws have a captive, star lock washer on them - same screws and thrust plate as used on the camshaft.

Img_4258.jpg
    Img_4260.jpg

Fuel pump cover plate and gasket. From the old days.

Img_4262.jpg

Auxiliary shaft and front crank seal holders installed.

Img_4264.jpg
    Img_5386.jpg

Assemble pick-up tube to oil pump. There is not clearance to tighten these bolts with the pump on the block.

Img_5387.jpg

Oil pump mounts here - and does not use a gasket.

Img_5388.jpg

DO NOT forget the hex drive shaft. BTW - it's an 8mm hex (5/16"). it should install from the bottom and have a stop ring installed to prevent it from being pulled out when R&Ring the distributor.

Img_5389.jpg

12-point bolts to mount the oil pump to the block.

Img_5390.jpg

Some Loctite 262 for the pick-up tube support jamb nut.

Img_5394.jpg

Bottom end ready to button up.

Img_5395.jpg

Sump bolts fresh from the blast cabinet.

Img_5396.jpg

Sump that was previously painted and stored.

Img_5397.jpg

Pan installation. Note the hex extension on the front crank snout for the degree wheel and the crank timing reference marks on the flywheel.. The crank belt sprocket is installed also.

A little dab of silicone to help seal the hump sections of the 4-piece sump gasket.

Img_5402.jpg
    Img_5404.jpg
    Img_5405.jpg
    Img_5406.jpg

Degree wheel installed on front of crank snout. Now we know exactly where TDC is for all cylinders. Make reference marks on the flywheel - so we cab find exact TDC again after the head is installed.

Img_4314.jpg
    Img_4316.jpg
    Img_4317.jpg
    Img_4319.jpg
    Img_4320.jpg
    Img_5409.jpg

The head gasket I'm using. Cometic MLS in 3.830" bore at 0.045" compressed thickness.

Img_4415.jpg
    Img_4416.jpg
    Img_4418.jpg
    Img_4425.jpg

can't believe the essy heads are that junky.

shame.

can't believe the essy heads are that junky.
    They're in total denial whenever I ask them about it. And it's not like I'm the only person that has these issues.

Looking great Mike!

Originally Posted by Meotchh
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

I need to get back to this thread!

So much stuff to post, so little time.

Half Boost
    Mike how did you do the external waste gate on your Rods header? Plumbing ect?

No external wastegate -using the internal dump valve as standard on the T3. The dump hole is a bit bigger though.

Half Boost
    I'm still running the stock waste gate and the boost spikes to 19.5 then drops to 16. I would like it to go and stay at 18. Does the enlarged hole make this possible? Also what did you end up with for HP?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Mask and paint inside of engine.
    Attachment 4392
    Attachment 4397
    My naive self has never seen this done before. Using a thermal paint; is that for more uniform heat conduction? Less chance of a hot spot? Inquiring minds want to know!

I just started reading your thread here Mike and so far quite interesting. I look forward to learning more about these blocks, engines and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I need to get back to this thread! So much stuff to post, so little time.
    I hear you! My build thread for my '82 on FEP was always around 1-2 months behind. I have had the car on the road for a month and the posts don't reflect it.

I appreciate the detail you are going to in this thread so keep it up!

Using a thermal paint; is that for more uniform heat conduction? Less chance of a hot spot? Inquiring minds want to know!
    The paint was originally used, many decades ago, to keep the sand from coming out of the castings and to provide a smooth surface for oil to drip off of more easily. Not for any special thermal insulation properties - just capable of handing internal engine temps and oil/fluid impervious.

And it's red. With a hint of orange.

... always around 1-2 months behind. I have had the car on the road for a month and the posts don't reflect it.
    A month? Excuse me? That'd be almost real-time.

This car was [mostly] finished seven years ago. I think I'm gonna win the "behind a bit" contest.

Wink

GET ERRRR DONE Mike
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Remind me in November. Plate is full just now.