Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 4: Power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 4: Power

In this thread I will attempt to document the design, fitment and build-up of the power plant in the red car. With some pics and details of planning, collecting assorted parts, machining, fitting and assembly along the way. These pics and details are not necessarily in time order, so things may appear out of order. I'm sure most of y'alls can deal with that.

Original plan:
    - 325-350 WHP
    - Pump petrol (which means 91 ACN octane petrol)
    - 7500 MAX RPM
    - 2.3L Turbo sized clutch
    - T5 gearbox

Some engine inspection pics after coming back from block machining. Started with an 86 SVO block and bored it to hold 3.810" (+.030") forged pistons from Race Engineering, bushed full-floating Crower rods at 5.5" CtC with a .927" pin size, and a thin moly faced top ring (0.047"), 0.047" second ring and a 3-piece PC-style oil control ring set.
    IMG_3801.JPG
    Img_3806.jpg
    Img_3811.jpg
    Img_3827.jpg

The bottom end is studded and strapped with an RE lightened 2.5L crank. Since the crank is a small journal and the block is a large journal design, spacers are required to fit the crank main bearings. These spacers must be align-bored as a set after the main caps are machined for the straps.

Img_3758.jpg
    Img_3746.jpg
    Img_3737.jpg
    Img_3736.jpg
    Img_3733.jpg

Note machined (lightened) counterweights and balanced crankshaft. Pic of stock 2.5L crank is shown in Post 3 below.

Img_3722.jpg
    Img_3705.jpg
    Img_3704.jpg
    Dbearing.jpg
    db2.jpg
    Img_3769.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

One of the 2.3-2.5L main bearing spacer shell after align boring.
    Img_3771.jpg

Test fitment of rotating assembly, rods, & pistons.
    Strapped.jpg

After all the assorted inspections were done (bearing clearance checks, piston-to-wall checks, deck height for each rod/piston combination, cc'ing everything, ring fitting, all gasket surfaces lapped, all thread holes chased, etc.) it's time to clean and paint.
    Img_4029.jpg

Lapping plate and compound on head gasket surface.
    Img_4030.jpgImg_4032.jpgImg_4038.jpg

Washing/scrubbing. Lather, rinse, repeat - scrubbing each and every oil passage.
    Img_4052.jpg

Assorted cleaning implements. Img_4053.jpgImg_4054.jpg

Dry. Note all previous paint was removed so surface rust will show up almost immediately.
    Img_4055.jpgImg_4056.jpgIMG_4057.jpg

Bag to dry over night.
    IMG_4058.jpg

Mask and paint outside of block.
    IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mask and paint inside of engine.
    Img_4124.jpg
    Img_4126.jpg
    Img_4127.jpg
    Img_4129.jpg
    Img_4130.jpg
    Img_4154.jpg
    Img_4155.jpg
    Img_4157.jpg
    Img_4158.jpg

Cleaning/prepping of assorted engine parts. Running a bottoming tap (12x1.0mm) in the flywheel bolt mounting holes and polishing the rear main seal surface.
    Img_3991.jpg
    Img_3997.jpg

Lightened 2.5L crank.

Img_4028.jpg

Stock 2.5 crank.

51692503-Slide6.JPG

Very nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

I started with a new (as in newly released) Esslinger D-Port aluminum head. I was told by Esslinger it flowed better - as cast, out of the box - than any iron head they had ported. I was also told it would be specially custom machined to work with the cam specs I intended to use - which was a 0.575" valve lift roller profile. Needless to say what I received was not at all what I was expecting. Sure it was aluminum, but the chamber and seat machining were extremely rough, the retainers contacted the stem seals at 0.450" (which means it wouldn't even be right for a stock lift cam), the casting material is extremely soft (can easily mark it with a fingernail and its' full of bubbles), and the flow numbers were disappointing - lower than the mildly-ported iron head I was replacing (not to mention that we couldn't measure to 0.600" lift because it wasn't properly machined).

In any case my machinist talked me into fixing it locally (for a fee!) rather than sending it back to Esslinger (for either repair or a complete refund!) so here's some "as-received" pics.

Chamber2.jpg
    ExhaustPort.jpg
    FordLogo.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    IntakeCoolant.jpg
    LifterBore.jpg
    RearBearing.jpg
    SideView.jpg
    SparkPlug.jpg

Yes, those are monstrous dual springs.

TowerSpringBolt.jpg
    UpperView.jpg

Some chamber and port close-ups, without valves.
    ]
    04.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg

If you have lots of extra cash and time and are willing to take what Esslinger delivers to a qualified machinist and porter to have it "fixed", then go ahead and get one. The ports need work - the exhausts aren't round, straight or large enough; the valve seats are very rough with lots of sharp edges, the steps into the chamber surface are really bad and the steps in/out of the ports are very rough, with sharp angles; the guide ends in the ports are rough castings and not centered in the airflow path.

This is the only one I've personally seen and touched. However the castings are the same for all of them (95% of the ports are as-cast) and the chambers, valve pockets, seat inserts, etc. are all CNC machined so - except for minor tool wear when cutting soft aluminum - all should be exactly the same.

So I *expect* it's typical but I don't have hard evidence to support that. Unless they've made some design changes from "customer feedback".

Pics after Jeff worked it over.

02.jpg
    03.jpg
    03-04.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    07.jpg
    08-05.jpg
    09.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    RearBearing-01.jpg
    11.jpg
    SeatEdges.jpg