Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Creation of the Red Baron - Phase 4: Power

Just your average parts. lol
    "Gots 'em all at Pep Boys. Had 'em right dare on da shelf, just awaitin' fer me."
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

The Pep Boys counter guys head would explode if you requested a cryo-quenched 2.5L crank!

The Pep Boys counter guys head would explode if you requested a cryo-quenched 2.5L crank!
    Actually heads explode when asking ANYTHING SVO.

I used to go there decades ago and give them part numbers of stuff I wanted. In the beginning, they'd just mosey over and pick up the parts and I'd take 'em up front to pay.

Now (past decade??) they INSIST on looking it up in the computer - just to make sure they get me the correct parts. And they ALWAYS say "That's a five-Ohh, right?" and "There's no EFI Mustangs in 1984 [according to my parts book]."

Yup, always gobs of fun.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Oh the joys of auto parts stores. At one point I was on a first name basis with the guys at the store I normally went to. They knew if I came in it was probably for an odd part and were prepared for it. They knew about my SVO, and knew about all the different brands of parts I put in my Jeep. Unfortunately they all left so it's back to how it was before.
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine

^
    Today's typical chain parts store person: "Would you like fries with that water pump?"

Noob
    Well......since you linked it from TF (and it's now been officially "resurrected") - I have a couple of questions:
    1. What cam did you end up using - and what are its "events" & LSA, Mike? (I saw mention of a 2277, but also realize that's not what was "plotted" on the graph)
    2. Where do I get my 2.5 crank lightened like yours?
    3. Just wondering if you're aware that Brian at Esslinger has recently come up with a so-called "fix" - dunno whether permanent or temporary - that supposedly alleviates (prolongs?) the denied "washer-sinking phenomenon"?

I fully agree that such a "fix" shouldn't be necessary or required, and I sympathize with all of y'all that ended up with the "soft/bubbly" Essy castings, whose machining apparently leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully, the casting processes and machining have improved - for the sake of all those plunking down their hard-earned money. But, in the meantime (and for those who already own one of the early/soft castings), the "fix" basically involves them (Essy) machining the top of the "column" (bolt/washer recess) to a shallow-angle "V-shape" and using special/matching cone-shaped large-diameter washers (flat on top).

Well......since you linked it from TF (and it's now been officially "resurrected")
    So the bag and the cat are no longer an assembly??
    1. What cam did you end up using - and what are its "events" & LSA, Mike? (I saw mention of a 2277, but also realize that's not what was "plotted" on the graph)
    2. Where do I get my 2.5 crank lightened like yours?
    3. Just wondering if you're aware that Brian at Esslinger has recently come up with a so-called "fix" - dunno whether permanent or temporary - that supposedly alleviates (prolongs?) the denied "washer-sinking phenomenon"?
    I originally installed Nick's large custom roller. It makes ~.585 lift and the timing events are shown in the chart above. Then I later installed a 2277. Now back to the Nick grind for more low-end grunt (seriously lacking response/power with the 2277 below 3800 or so).

Most of the internals came from Race Engineering (www.raceeng.com): pistons, rings, pins, rods, crank. Look here: http://www.raceeng.com/c-4722-crankshaft.aspx

The crank I have is a small journal, lightened, cryo-quenched version. Don't see that listed on the website just now.

Someday I'll put new sticky tires on it and install a PiMP. And spend some time on the dyno to make it right. Not today though.

Noob
    THANX, Mike!

THANX, Mike!
    Be careful, my friend.

Comments like that may get you banned ( just don't let Mitch see this! ).

Someone [who shall forever remain nameless] asked how/where I installed my EGT sensor so I'll just leave these here.

Img_8853.jpgImg_8854.jpgImg_8855.jpgImg_8856.jpgImg_8857.jpgImg_8858.jpgImg_8859.jpgImg_8860.jpgImg_6312.jpg

That is just damn sexy!
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Someone [who shall forever remain nameless] asked how/where I installed my EGT sensor so I'll just leave these here.
    Mike, looked through your posts and photos, didn’t see where you got that header?
    Seems to be almost stock location (towards the rear) unlike most of the center mount headers, which leaves some room to retain the A/C compressor.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

It is a stock mount header made by a fellow named Rod of Rods Headers. IIRC he was sommers in Canada. He passed away a few years back. Big Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    It is a stock mount header made by a fellow named Rod of Rods Headers. IIRC he was sommers in Canada. He passed away a few years back. Big Sigh.
    Oh - sorry to hear that for multiple reasons.

As for the header - the craftsmanship on the finished product is certainly "Red Baron worthy!"
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Half Boost
    Doug I bought my Rods header off a club site. Search and you may find a used one.