Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: measuring outer tie rod locations

Uh yeah. The spec for total toe-in is somwhere between 1/8 and 1/16".

The pic measurement you're seeing is the distance between the string (aka fishing line) and the rim edge. There's kinda a logistical issue with getting the string to actually touch the rims with the tyre in the way and all so the parallel string is placed a few inches (in this case about 1.5-2.0") from the rim to be clear of the tyre and other body stuffs.

Adjust the string / stands position to where it's exactly exactly 1.5" (or 2.0") from the front *and* rear edge of the rear wheel (here we are making a rather large assumption that the rear axle is straight, centered and exactly perpendicular to the center line of the chassis and that none of the wheels have any bends or runout, etc.).

Then measure the string distance to the front and rear of the front rims. Subtract the two values by using some of that math magic stuff to come up with tow-in or tow-out (toe-in means the front of the rim is farther from the string than the rear of the rim). I always ask my daughter to assist when there's math involed.

As far as enough thread engagement pf the tie rod (male threads) into the tie rod ends (female threads with the 90-degree ball joint at the far end), make sure there's at least 8 full turns of thread engagement at the installed length.

Note this method gets a bit more complex if there is adjustable toe for the rear wheels. In those cases we usually have a mark showing exactly where the chassis centerline is on the front and rear. Then place the stands exactly the same distance from the centerline marks on each side.

Lastly make sure you roll the car at least ten feet into the position under full weight before setting the stands and string. If you have to raise a corner using a jack, you will need to start all over by rolling it back ten feet, then forward again. The nre-set the stands/strings.

It's kinda fun to watch this process when crews do this at the track. Which is usually ony needed if they forgot their floating plates.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

OK, I'll play with it next week, thanks
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No, you should do it NOW. People are following this thread and need the results ASAP. Don't leave us hanging ...

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

OK, OK, remain calm or as they say at the boarder ( tranquilo). My fiancee says I snore, so she keeps waking me up. I need rest, you know Sleep. I'll Need all my energy just to tie that fishing line together. I'll get er done in slow-motion after I sleep, my pillow is calling me now.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did the alignment today. It took awhile, but after I stopped tripping on the fishing line I got it going. I dialed it down to about 1/8 to 1/4". It is tricky to get a real good measurement off the rim. Took it out and works good tracks straight. I'm going to do it again now that everything has settled down in place. The steering wheel is off a little but I'll get that tomorrow.SVO sleeping.jpgConduit.jpgNew rack.jpgDogs poker game.jpg

I remember that dog poker picture from the 70's! Ahh, the memories.

I did a lot of adjusting on the rack today. Dialed it down to 2 mm toe-in. The conduit makes it easy to go back & forth to each side. Got the steering wheel centered. Good thing I was only doing 70mph (speed limit) when I passed the G.S.P. & then his G.S.P. buddy over the next hill. He liked my Red SVO, he was starring at me as I passed his hand held radar gun. Going out to check the alignment One More Time.