Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: measuring outer tie rod locations

Some Boost

measuring outer tie rod locations

Hi,

Not an SVO but you guys seem to know a thing or two about suspensions

84 Capri RS Turbo. SN95 lower control arms, 87 ball joints, 87+ spindles and brakes. 04 Cobra rack & MM bumpsteer kit for the rack and longer control arms.

Since none of this was a carry over from the stock, I have no idea how to get the outer tie rods setup correctly. Currently I have a bad 'pigeon toe' going on and after several iterations of 'take them off, open a couple of threads, put the back on' I figure I'm missing something.

So, rookie question: how do I get the setup 'close enough' when I don't have the original lock nuts in the correct place?

Thanks,

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How about the "string" method of alignment: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/c...e/viewall.html

JT
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    How about the "string" method of alignment: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/c...e/viewall.html

JT
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense with the conduit.

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you asking about setting toe? Of about adjusting the bump steer? Or both?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Are you asking about setting toe? Of about adjusting the bump steer? Or both?
    Just toe for now so I can move her around (no engine yet). The wheels are clearly not pointing straight forward so I want to fix that.

Thanks,

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Get some jackstands and lots of kite string. Set the stands along the sides of the chassis a few feet bey9ond each wheel. Then srun he string between the stands. Make the string parallel to the edges of hte rear ture (actuall wheel lip) and set it the same distance from the wheel lip on the front.

Tape measure the front vs. rear of the font wheels to the string and set them to the same value. Repeat on other side.

I have pictures of Pat doing that on a car at one of the Reunions. We were going do to an instructional video, but ,iirc, he was about 4 six-packs beyond being the narrator at that point. The car came out fine, btw.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Scotch comes in six-packs?
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

The airplane-sized bottles, yes.

The larger bottles are often used to refill the empty O'Douls bottles. I'l post some pics later.

Some Boost
    Thanks guys. Can you clarify something for me? Is the scotch for using the bottles instead of jack stands or to drink so I can make sure the line is straight? Or to convince my friends to help me yet again work on this time and money sink?
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Yes.

As promised, some pics. But first, a Public Service Announcement (aka PSA).

This is why you should not share your brew and tools with the locals. This kid was gonna fill up that lighting pole with whatever he got his hands on. Just say NO.

Img_6126.jpg
    Img_6127.jpg

The Pat Parking Lot String/Jack Stand Toe Adjustment Process Pictorial Guide (aka PPLS-JSTAPP Guide).

We tell Pat he's doing an alignment Tech Session. And it starts now.
    Img_6664.jpg

Getting his bearings straight.
    Img_6646.jpg

Pat telling the car what he's doing.
    Img_6659.jpg

A lonely beer in a dangerous place.
    Img_6658.jpg

Beer moved to a safer location.
    Img_6653.jpg

Pat was not pleased that his beer had been moved. I told him Gator took it.
    Img_6651.jpg

In his world-famous style, Gator denies any involvement.
    Img_6652.jpg

Place the stands and string parallel to the rear wheel rim (string looks like fishing line). Measure from front and rear of rear rim to verify string is parallel to chassis; move stands as needed. Then measure to front rim lips - make front and rear of front rim the same distance to the string by adjusting toe setting.
    Img_6647.jpg
    Img_6650.jpg
    Img_6654.jpg

Vice grips. Don't leave home without 'em.
    Img_6656.jpg

I brought Pat a fresh cold one. There's no Pat like a Happy Pat.
    Img_6667.jpg

Some Boost
    Thanks. (Remember I'm a newbie at this stuff) What is he doing with the vice grips? I don't see a jack and tools so I'm assuming you're not removing the outer tie rod and adding/removing turns? Is he turning the inner tie rod with the vice grips?
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Ahh, I understand your question now. You do not need to R&R the tie rod end. See pic. The tie rod (attached to the steering rack inside the bellows) rotates freely inside the rack end.

There is a large locknut on the inside edge of the tie-rod end - on the steering arm (called a tie rod). Loosen that locknut (#1 in pic) and put a 1/2" open-end (iirc) wrench on the hex portion (#2) of the tie rod and rotate it. Both sides (of tie rods and tie rod ends) are normal, right-hand threads. So the side that needs to be longer gets rotated anti-clockwise and the side that needs to be shorter gets rotated clockwise. When it's all set, snug the locknuts and re-check.

Img_7929.jpg

Some Boost
    Thank you so much!
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Last step: Remove any twisting in the bellows boot. It will rotate with the tire rod and should be loosened or rotated on the outer clamp to remove any twisting. Sometimes loosening the clamp is needed; sometimes just grabbing it with a gloved hand and twisting will work. Be aware of the sharp edges on the spring clamp.

Additional thought: If the car drives straight and the toe-in is set properly but the steering wheel is slightly off center, shorten one tie rod by a couple flats and lengthen the other by the same amount. This will keep the toe setting the same while allowing the rack to move slightly left or right.

Re-test the steering wheel position after a drive. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Those photos are classic, as the vintage "Member's Only" jacket worn by Pat

Originally Posted by Meotchh
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Ahhh, the memories....
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

I installed my new Cardone steering rack yesterday with new poly bushing (red) and new Moog tie rod ends. I eyeballed them in and drove a few miles to Precision Tune for a front end alignment. They put it up the 3 guys looked underneath. I'm watching. they put it down after 15 minutes of doing nothing. The head Clown comes in and tells me there isn't enough adjustment on the steering rods to adjust it. I realized after talking to him he was pulling a scam. I told him take it down he said that would still be $40. I kept my cool( and it was a hot day). I compared the old rack with the new rack at Summit. They are the same as are the Moog tie rod ends. I told the Clown that. I pulled up the Hot Rod tech posted here. Today I spent $40 on conduit and stuff so I can do it myself. I see in the pic Pat has the measurement around 13/4" toe in. Is that about what I want? You can see in the pic the Ford tie rod end and the Moog with the new rack. I can't post the pic I'll see if I can get it later After I sleep.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!

Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!