Thread: understeer & oversteer changes

Question understeer & oversteer changes

I know what the terms mean but being a drag racer I would simply remove the sway bars and Konis so...

My driver SVO was used as a hobby autocrosser and what I would like to know is the effects of changing things like smaller/larger sway bars; increased/decreased tire pressure; lighter/stiffer springs; lighter/stiffer shock adjustment; etc. on the handling of the car.

For example:
    Would a decrease in rear tire pressure create more or less under/over steer?
    Would a larger front sway bar create more or less under/over steer?

I perused the internet looking for articles or a chart that would give me the basics of these kinds of changes without much luck.

I'm seriously thinking of going out and trying this corner thing and seeing how many orange cones I can kill...lol...the worst that could happen is an east coast version of Flat Bob.

TIA, Paul (with apologies to the real Bob)
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

Some Boost
    You can download a PDF here with all the info you need.

http://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/moreinfo.html

Thanks Mike! The oversteer/understeer chart was what I was looking for.
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

Sorry Paul, I've been out to lunch.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

to add, try running the current set-up (daily driver) as you are familiar with how the car handles, then make small incremental adjustments to bring the car around to your liking.

Remember just cause one persons likes their car set-up one way may not be the way you like it, Like me I love a lot of turn-in, some people don't like that.

Take a friend with you to the event with a camera, and have then photograph the car, especially going through the corners, look at the attitude of the vehicle, look at the side walls of the tires, keep all this info in a log book, with specific details, surface condition, tire temp, ambient temp, ground temp, tire pressures, you get the idea, don't forget to add your changes to your set-up in there.

On a personal note, this last Autocross I went to, I wanted to change the rear sway bar, cause factory set up is understeer/push, but I figure I would just fly like that, and sure enough, if I would have brought my larger rear bar, I would have put it on to tighten up the rear, for more turn-in.

With a full tank of fuel:

And another good thing is take some video to, going back and reviewing always helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Don Roberts once gave me the ULTIMATE ADJUSTMENT for driving fast !!

At a Pro Solo session at Firebird (just after I spent alot of money in a short amount of time changing the car) he came over and said "Take your wallet out of your pocket!" He then said to put it on the floor board under the gas pedal and see how much travel is left. (less than an inch)

His "suggestion" was to TRY NOT TO FLOOR the car !! (Think the wallet is under the pedal) Amazingly I learned to drive at 3/4 throttle on courses, started to dial back the boost and even ran faster in lower gears.

Mark
    P.S. He said the guys with the fattest wallets alway go faster when they use them correctly.