Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The resurrection of the Red Furd!!

The resurrection of the Red Furd!!

To chronicle my rather hackneyed attempt to take my '86 SVO boneyard shell into a replacement for the recently totaled "hoser."

Where we started:

Where we are today:

I love it! That looks really good. You should call it the Phoenix or the Lazaris project. From looking at the weeds you could take on that lawn mower for your next project.

So other than a bath and removal of the front license plate, what did you do? hehehe

Looking nice. And you know how I feel about red!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yeah, and you know how I feel about red!!
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    I don't get it??? You went from being in a field with a license plate, to being in a shed without a license plate.

Where's the progress in that???? We need more info. Looks OK(!!!!) for a red one.

No respect, none at all!!!!!

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    No respect, none at all!!!!!
    So you are asking for special treatment? That may be a new infraction.

So you are asking for special treatment? That may be a new infraction.
    Yeah, Uh-Huh. Right. Make more work for me. THAT could be a new infraction too!

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I'd say "I like this new infraction category" but I'm scairt!

You ever get stymied by a low dollar part...two days in a row. This has become a royal PIA!! First, the oil pan gasket is the correct early one, but one of the ends is too large. How can that happen. Of course no parts store has them in stock, they're all "at the warehouse." "We can get it for you tomorrow!" How come I can call Summit and they will deliver anything in their catalog to my doorstep the very next day, but if I buy anything local it takes a day to get it from the warehouse and I have to drive 15 miles to get it!

Freakin cam dowel pin also bit me in the ass! Obsolete Ford part, had to order some from another city.

So my plans to get the engine and transmission in the Red Furd over the holidays has been dashed!! I don't think this car wants to get back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    ... "We can get it for you tomorrow!" How come I can call Summit and they will deliver anything in their catalog to my doorstep the very next day, but if I buy anything local it takes a day to get it from the warehouse and I have to drive 15 miles to get it! ...
    The warehouse orders it from Summit, too. DOH!!!

Just plan a JY day to gather dowel pins, crankshaft keys, and all that sort of stuff.

Buy a lathe and get some hardware store round brass or aluminum stock ...

I was looking for tool steel Mike, I'm storing a buddy's small lathe and was going to make some.

You can't even buy a piston stop at the local "McParts store."

Which means that I just need to do some better project planning, catalog shopping is becoming the best option. And by catalog shopping I'm talking about getting on the interwebs and finding what I need from the big warehouses.

That dowel does not need to be tool steel, Even a soft aluminum will work just fine for the countershaft.

If you break stuff, you may as well break the cheap part (dowel pin) rather than the expensive, difficult to find part (aux shaft). The best lathe and mill manufacturers in the world use softer material dowel pins than the material on the drives, gears, and shafts for a reason. I had the traverse quit working on my South Bend 17"" x 8' Turnnado Lathe. I asked for the price of the bevel gear before taking it apart. The gear would be $310, but they suggested that I take the table apart and check before ordering. Sure enough, a shear pin did what it was supposed to do. The cheap part sacraficed itself to save the expensive parts.

Good points, gentlemen. Thanks.

Wha .. uhh... wait-a-hold-it. So I was right?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Wha .. uhh... wait-a-hold-it. So I was right?
    Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

A little update, since we're only three weekends of potential work away from Knott's (which will be not if I can't make this thing driveable).

Engine, transmission, suspension (front and rear) all in the car. I'll have to go through and nut and bolt it, I can't remember whats been hot bolted and what's been torqued.

From an electrical stand point, main cables, engine harness etc have been installed. Need to install the charging system cable, dash and steering column electrics.

No AC, so it better not be 102 in Fullerton this year like it was a couple of years ago.

Entire interior needs to be installed. I ran out of SVO gray interior paint; my order from Late Model Restoration should get to me on the 27th.

Brakes are installed except for emergency cables. They will need to be bleed again when I have time.

Fuel pump has been installed in the tank. I'll install the tank after the rear suspension bolts have been checked.

Needs full exhaust. I have all the parts, just need to slice and weld.

Weather stripping needs to be installed around door opening and hatach.

Trim needs to be installed around front and rear windshields. I wanted to repaint them, but it might have to wait.

Need to install rear bumper and cover.

Need to install headlights.

I'm sure I'll think of some other items. I'm going to take next Thursday and Friday to try and make a dent. I'm supposed to teach at a teen driving clinic, but to hell with it, I need to get this done.

Bob

Get 'er Done, Bob. Folks are counting on you.

BTW - 108 at Knotts this year. That's light jacket weather in the PM where I come from.