Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran off the road, turn signal cover question

Ran off the road, turn signal cover question

Hey guys, long story short I drove off the road and went 20 feet down into a small gully and I'm absolutely fine with the fact that only my left turn signal cover fell off and nothing else broke!

Here's some pictures, can you all let me know if everything is still ok or not? Sorry I don't have a close up of the housingIMG_0961.jpgIMG_20130917_131355.jpgIMG_20130917_131337.jpg
    '84 GT:375HP fun ride
    '84 SVO:stock daily ride...even winter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

26 views and no comments?

Half Boost
    The lens looks fine. If theres nothing wrong with the body take a piece of 80 or 120grit sandpaper and clean the old glue off of both pieces and epoxy it back on. I used Permatex 1 minute epoxy that is clear.

How about two comments and one question... I agree, the lense looks fine and epoxy should cover it. You were REAL lucky that's all that happened.
    How did you end up in that situation; texting, run off the road, changing channels, avoiding dog or deer, girlfriend distraction?

Thx guys, will clean it up and reattach the lens. There was no other damage besides some scratches and paint swapping with a wooden pole. Thanks for the replies...Downshifted into second and missed a turn and tried to make it....the car grabbed hard and then the back end slid out and I tried fixing it but....couldn't :P...I was extremely luck that this happened with minimal damage

Indeed, very glad to see you are OK.
    Peyton Manning? Who's he drive for?

Half Boost
    Lane first off good to hear your OK was this off of Lake Drive? I have had some spirited runs in that area when younger. Be careful its too easy to get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    The lens looks fine. If theres nothing wrong with the body take a piece of 80 or 120grit sandpaper and clean the old glue off of both pieces and epoxy it back on. I used Permatex 1 minute epoxy that is clear.
    I agree with the method, but I have used clear silicone sealant to reattach the lenses on my lamps. My theory is the silicone will flex and allow for slight movement if needed.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanes84s View Post
    Thx guys, will clean it up and reattach the lens. There was no other damage besides some scratches and paint swapping with a wooden pole. Thanks for the replies...Downshifted into second and missed a turn and tried to make it....the car grabbed hard and then the back end slid out and I tried fixing it but....couldn't :P...I was extremely luck that this happened with minimal damage
    When downshifting to second, you need to make sure to rev match and release the clutch slowly. Any dump of the clutch into 2nd will end in a spin similar to pulling the parking brake. As me how I know.

Practice the downshift blip.

There's a reason them pedals are so close together.
    Peyton Manning? Who's he drive for?

As me how I know.
    Turn 15 at Barber?

Lane - Pretty lucky to not have any of those large brown things in the path. Around here it's msotly sand and gravel run-off, with Armco and concrete walls thrown in for some excitement, so the car gets really dirty in off-road excursions - assuming you miss the Armco/concrete.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Lol sorry I didn't check this sooner but this made my day better cuz I got a laugh :P. Yeh bruce, it's right outside of Concordia. I actually drove the car over a 100 miles this weekend and it's purring like a kitten so I'm happy. Dad says that I should remove the entire lens assembly for that side and then put it on with some epoxy and then put it back into the housing. For now I'm driving w/o the lens cover on and it has an amber light so it's all ok .

Mike S, Thank you for that information because I was actually wondering how it had broken the back end out so easily! I did a quick brake down to about 35 took the turn while downshifting into second and I did a pretty fast downshift I guess and it caught me by surprise I suppose...I've learned my lesson as the police arrived without my calling them...they shouldn't have been there because there was no damage, but I still get a lovely inattentive driving ticket.

Glad to not see any trees or buildings in my path, 10 more feet and I would have been in the trees

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Turn 15 at Barber?
    Yep. I have since learned a better line that allows me to go through that turn in 3rd with a shift to 4th just after the apex.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by notacarlo View Post
    Practice the downshift blip.

There's a reason them pedals are so close together.
    I've tried rev matching (toe/heel) and just haven't mastered it yet. With the stock flywheel it takes along time to rev to 5K rpm.

I've tried rev matching (toe/heel) and just haven't mastered it yet. With the stock flywheel it takes along time to rev to 5K rpm.
    Needs more time (of the open throttle) and wider throttle openings. Takes LOTs of practice.

Once you get it though, it'll be with you forever.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

How do you even practice this? I don't have a track or even a parking lot to do this in I would really like to learn how to be a far better driver...

Every downshift is a practice session.

It's often better to start with some semi- or professional instruction to learn the actions then practice everyday as you drive. Just like being smooth, proper hand on wheel positioning, knowing when to scream, etc. Patrick is available as a loaner instructor. Just pay his bar tab and he'll be right over.

Lol well that sounds tempting :P I wish it was easier to get the experience....like a how to guide lol I always feel that downshifting is kind of hard on the clutch disk because if I let it out quick, it's ripping it up but if I go slow than it's just grinding away at it? idk maybe I'm wrong :P Patrick live in WI? :P Otherwise I'll have to ask my dad or Bruce ;P

Half Boost
    Pat lives in LA as I recall. Just start working at it and you may get it. I am still a work in progress.