Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Svo sale on Mecum

Svo sale on Mecum

Came home for lunch today and flipped on velocity only to catch the 2012 Mecum auction at Kissimmee Florida. Across the grid rolls a 1984 grey svo. The narrators begin to chat about the vehicle and expose their lack of knowledge especially with regard to our loved ones. He walks to the front of the car lifts the hood and then begins to chat about the headlights. He says this car has recessed lights, this must be an aftermarket mod? Then he talks about the unreliable inefficient turbos and comments that after a few thousand miles they didn't work? Last he mentions that svo's were just insignificant and nothing but a foot note car? How rude? Just thought I would share this with the group.

IMHO the turbos are one of the most reliable part on the car. They definitely outlast alternators, batteries, fuel pumps, TFI/PIP assemblies, clutches, spark plug wires, ...
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Paint.
    Peyton Manning? Who's he drive for?

Quote Originally Posted by stockman1 View Post
    Came home for lunch today and flipped on velocity only to catch the 2012 Mecum auction at Kissimmee Florida. Across the grid rolls a 1984 grey svo. The narrators begin to chat about the vehicle and expose their lack of knowledge especially with regard to our loved ones. He walks to the front of the car lifts the hood and then begins to chat about the headlights. He says this car has recessed lights, this must be an aftermarket mod? Then he talks about the unreliable inefficient turbos and comments that after a few thousand miles they didn't work? Last he mentions that svo's were just insignificant and nothing but a foot note car? How rude? Just thought I would share this with the group.
    What do you expect when they probably pay minimum wage salaries and hire broadcasting students straight out of grad school. Things like this do not help increase the prices of our cars or the respect for what went into them and what they are!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    What do you expect when they probably pay minimum wage salaries and hire broadcasting students straight out of grad school. Things like this do not help increase the prices of our cars or the respect for what went into them and what they are!
    they do however speak with such authority! I agree that these bozos don't help values especially when they say that it's a "footnote car?" Additionally they completely dissed all involved with the development, racing programs etc. btw the car sold for under $6k

I am very convinced that very few people know anything about these cars. Its like we're in a black hole.
    The next time I hear "is that a five liter?" I'm going to snap. There was a dude at my bar Friday night that asked what engine it had. Then proceeded to tell me that he didn't like my "optioned" wheels (stock svo) and that he was a member of the north east mustang club. He invited me to a meeting and their local mustang show. Then he said anyone can bring whatever car they want. "You can even bring that if you want."

Bring some cones boss, I'll show you what an SVO is.

Quote Originally Posted by notacarlo View Post
    I am very convinced that very few people know anything about these cars. Its like we're in a black hole.
    The next time I hear "is that a five liter?" I'm going to snap. There was a dude at my bar Friday night that asked what engine it had. Then proceeded to tell me that he didn't like my "optioned" wheels (stock svo) and that he was a member of the north east mustang club. He invited me to a meeting and their local mustang show. Then he said anyone can bring whatever car they want. "You can even bring that if you want."
    what an alpha hotel, maybe he's a judge for his club too?

With a 2005 V6 convertible, I think not. I hope not.

Half Boost
    Its been the same experience around me too. I was at an all Ford show last summer and I put the my '84 in the special interest class.
    As I was parking a guy backs into the space beside me with a fairly new Mustang with a bunch of stickers all over it.
    After a while he looks at me and asks whats so special about my car! Luckily there was another guy there i know who does know what is was and he explained to him in a nicer manner than I was going to.
    I found out later that he is a member in the same local Mustang club as am. (one of those guys that never shows up for anything)

I can get a pretty good idea of how much of a car guy I am talking to when they do or dont know what an SVO is. At least when I am at a Ford show.

I've had a lot of people question mine. A lot of people ask why I put the rear spoiler on, and why I changed the look of the front end. They get confused when I tell them it's stock. I've had a bunch of people tell me Ford never made a turbo 4 cylinder. Including a guy at an Autozone who told me the SVO never existed, that it was only a prototype. I've had a lot of people tell me that they were expecting their N/A V8 to get beat by more against a turbo V8. (Hence my signature). Some don't take it well when I tell them they really lost to a 4 cylinder, and that it was never even made to be fast in a straight line.
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine

Some Boost
    make up elaborate stories and run away with it.. If they are going to pull shtuff out of their asses you might as well too

Some Boost
    I had my 84 at a local Ford dealer as part of a North Texas Mustang event. Most of the sales people had no idea what it was and asked about my adding the Turbo etc.

I was explaining a brief history of the SVO and even had some original dealer brochures for them to read. They were clueless but then I realized the car was older then most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    I had my 84 at a local Ford dealer as part of a North Texas Mustang event. Most of the sales people had no idea what it was and asked about my adding the Turbo etc.

I was explaining a brief history of the SVO and even had some original dealer brochures for them to read. They were clueless but then I realized the car was older then most of them.
    different generation they learn from tv and computer and not hands on like us.

Quote Originally Posted by grntRUDD13 View Post
    I've had a lot of people question mine. A lot of people ask why I put the rear spoiler on, and why I changed the look of the front end. They get confused when I tell them it's stock. I've had a bunch of people tell me Ford never made a turbo 4 cylinder. Including a guy at an Autozone who told me the SVO never existed, that it was only a prototype. I've had a lot of people tell me that they were expecting their N/A V8 to get beat by more against a turbo V8. (Hence my signature). Some don't take it well when I tell them they really lost to a 4 cylinder, and that it was never even made to be fast in a straight line.
    Had mine out today and 3 people recognized it and spoke highly of the SVO's so maybe there is hope!

Kissimmee Florida?! I'm embarrassed. That's right up the street from home.
    Abolish the IRS, and End the Federal Reserve.

Building Boost
    Maybe it's time that someone of SVO authority contact Mecum and set them straight; otherwise this sort of thing will continue.

Paging Mr. Fleming.....paging Mr. Fleming....

Half Boost
    I was at a show on Saturday and it was the usual again. Some knew and others didnt have a clue.
    I am thinking about making some kind of sign board up to set up in front of my car to actually inform people about it. Maybe it will curb some of the silly questions.
    I could use a few ideas for content if anyone want to throw some out to me.

Building Boost
    I printed a sign board for mine along with a board specific to my car. Let me look around for it in digital format. I emailed it to Office Max and they had it ready for me on foam board. OK, I found it. Pm me and I'll send the MS Word document file.