Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Final drive ratio

Final drive ratio

I have a 3.55 final gear and a T5 trans. At redline in 4th (1:1) 6500 rpm I am at approx. 131 mph. I was thinking of going to 3.31 gear and calculations say that I should hit 140 mph at redline. Any downside to this? Comments?

Half Boost
    What's wrong with fifth? That's why their called T5's! My calculations say with a 373 final drive I can hit 140 in 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    What's wrong with fifth? That's why their called T5's! My calculations say with a 373 final drive I can hit 140 in 5th.
    I was always told to stay out of 5th on the track. Its overdrive & I could break the gear at high rpm?

Perhaps if you're pushing >350HP. Not otherwise.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Perhaps if you're pushing >350HP. Not otherwise.
    saturday dynojet run at brothers performance approx 395 rwhp @ 6500 rpm. New forged internals, added intercooler, etc, New redline is 7000. Running very rich. Video on svcop FB page.

Then you might have enough torque to cause problems with the stock T5 5th gear set.

I installed a 0.82 fifth gear set in my 3.35:1 T5 for my 2.5L engine that had coarser teeth with more engagement depth. And I now can't for the life of me recall the name of the place where I got it - husband/wife team small busness that's big into WC T5 parts and service.

I hate it when that happens.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Then you might have enough torque to cause problems with the stock T5 5th gear set.

I installed a 0.82 fifth gear set in my 3.35:1 T5 for my 2.5L engine that had coarser teeth with more engagement depth. And I now can't for the life of me recall the name of the place where I got it - husband/wife team small busness that's big into WC T5 parts and service.

I hate it when that happens.
    How about this place http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

That's it!

Thanks Kendal!

Video on svcop FB page.
    can ya link it here please

-RICH-
    I'm a car junkie . . . I like junkie cars

Half Boost
    Thanks for setting me straight about 5th not being strong enough. I had never heard that before. Bruce