Thread: Track day tires suggestions?

Track day tires suggestions?

Looking for track day tires 400 rwhp mustang. Suggestions? PS I don't do much street driving with this car.

Some Boost
    Toyo RA1 and Yokohama A048 seem to do well on a lot of cars at track days.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Proxes+RA1

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=ADVAN+A048

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by stockman1 View Post
    Looking for track day tires 400 rwhp mustang. Suggestions? PS I don't do much street driving with this car.
    Will there be driving on the street and if it rains? Is this HPDE are actual paint trading racing? How experienced are you on track?
    Help Wanted - 1985.5 SVO needs a full resto...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary13 View Post
    Will there be driving on the street and if it rains? Is this HPDE are actual paint trading racing? How experienced are you on track?
    10 yrs experience mostly HPDE, had a comp license but it expired. Don't do hardly any street driving or rain however I don't have a trailer currently. I raced Panoz GT at Sebring 10 years ago and was fairly quick for a newbie. I haven't been out for a year now.

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by stockman1 View Post
    10 yrs experience mostly HPDE, had a comp license but it expired. Don't do hardly any street driving or rain however I don't have a trailer currently. I raced Panoz GT at Sebring 10 years ago and was fairly quick for a newbie. I haven't been out for a year now.
    Great on the experience as suggesting a sticky tire makes sense and it sucks not being out that long. I finally got back into it with a vengeance on my other mustangs but just ran the SVO on-track for the first time. Will you be on the stock SVO wheels? If so I have a few suggestions based on my street and limited track time with this car. If not, I have a few suggestions after a lot of time with a highly modded '07 GT, '03 Cobra and a Boss 302 on 18" setups.
    Help Wanted - 1985.5 SVO needs a full resto...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary13 View Post
    Great on the experience as suggesting a sticky tire makes sense and it sucks not being out that long. I finally got back into it with a vengeance on my other mustangs but just ran the SVO on-track for the first time. Will you be on the stock SVO wheels? If so I have a few suggestions based on my street and limited track time with this car. If not, I have a few suggestions after a lot of time with a highly modded '07 GT, '03 Cobra and a Boss 302 on 18" setups.
    my svo is my street car this is my track day car. It's been modified since this pic at Sebring. Added agent 47 front brake ducts, fogs are out, added 30 rwhp and an air to air intercooler. corbeau was sponsor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone have input on Hankook Ventis z214?

Stick with tried and proven tyres. RS3's or the Direzza Z2 (Star Specs v2.0) from Dunlop. The RS3s are much less pricy.

If you want a tyre that's ready to go cold, with some losening when it's reallty hot, get the Z2. If you are OK needing to warm up the tyre, and want even grip when it's overheated, get the RS3.

IMHO.

Or are you looking for a street/track combo tyre?? Look at the Michelin PSS.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Stick with tried and proven tyres. RS3's or the Direzza Z2 (Star Specs v2.0) from Dunlop. The RS3s are much less pricy.

If you want a tyre that's ready to go cold, with some losening when it's reallty hot, get the Z2. If you are OK needing to warm up the tyre, and want even grip when it's overheated, get the RS3.

IMHO.

Or are you looking for a street/track combo tyre?? Look at the Michelin PSS.
    I am currently running the Dunlop Starspec v1.0 and love them. I was concerned as to whether the V2.0 would be as good? At first glance on Tire Rack, looks like the RS3 are a few dollars more........

The SS V2 are MUCH better than the V1. But they will overheat after 10+ laps on a warm day.

I also still have the SS v1 on my track car. They're wonderful.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    The SS V2 are MUCH better than the V1. But they will overheat after 10+ laps on a warm day.

I also still have the SS v1 on my track car. They're wonderful.
    leaning toward RS3, right now I am staggered 265 front 275 rear. Thinking of 275 all around?