Thread: Fuel Rail Connectors

Some Boost

Fuel Rail Connectors

Hello again, and once again thanks for all your invaluable help. I am sad to report that the brittle plastic gremlins have struck my project once again.

I've just come from measuring the fuel rails and fuel lines on my SVO, which is by no means trusted as stock. I measured the fuel rails between the main rail and any fitting flaring, and I hope that is the right place to measure them.

Here's what I got. My fuel rail has two lines, one is 3/8" and the other is 1/4". The nylon line that runs to both is the same size at 5/16"

So if that is right, than these should be reasonable replacement fittings?

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-20639-800-085.aspx
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-12456-800-083.aspx

Both feed and return hoses are 5/16". The pressure feed side fittings are all, stock, 5/16" quick-connect fittings that use replaceable, push-in retaining clips. The return line duckbill fittings are 1/4".
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Well that makes sense. That is why the Dorman clips didn't work on the smaller line, they don't seem to have 1/4 inch push clips.

Some Boost
    Hmm, such a piece of plastic is starting to make me feel so SLOOL. Seems a shame to lose another stock item and have to hunt for a replacement fuel rail that has connectors I can buy.

Clips ONLY are
    N806191-S1901
    N806190-S1901

Fitting with new orings and clips are also sold.
    Mark

Some Boost
    Both are an 1/8 of an inch too big from the measurements above, or one is 1/4 inch too big and the other just right. I've used them, and it is a real pain trying to get one to fit the smaller 1/4 line but the 3/8 fits well enough on the 5/16.

Also, there's no O-rings on the connectors I have, there's a nylon surface on the inside that slips over the stainless steel. Granted, I can't speak for how they are supposed to be, just how they are.

What might save me from this is that it appears the fuel rail has the same fittings as fuel filters, so maybe any clip meant to fit the ford fuel filter will do (but there is nothing for the 1/4" still).

(update? It looks like the 2003/4 Expeditions used a fuel filter with a 1/4 fitting.)

(update2? Also called Bundy Fittings?)

All in all my confidence is restored in the Dorman fittings, seeing that quick-connect is a trademark for a fitting specification and all.

Some Boost
    Instead of the 3/8 fitting noted in the first post, I'm using this one...

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-13751-800-080.aspx

They are both on the way. I'll let y'all know if they work or not.

They are Bundy fittings - there are O-rings internal these will work.

Cut off old Bundy
    Boil water in microwave
    Immerse end of tube 1/2 inch into water ONLY
    use new Bundy to open tube so you can get TWO of all of the barbs into the tube TAKE OUT
    Reheat water do 1 inch of tube
    Using a twisting pushing (lots of force, but not enough to kind line) this time see if you can get to all of the barbs.
    If you kink the line cut and start over.

Mark
    P.S. You couldn't wait two months for me to be there ! LOL You guys in the areas that are warm in the winter. (Best time to drive) WE close up shop and switch to buying stuff.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Both feed and return hoses are 5/16". The pressure feed side fittings are all, stock, 5/16" quick-connect fittings that use replaceable, push-in retaining clips. The return line duckbill fittings are 1/4".
    Hey Mike, is there dorman part #s for both lines??? I've been looking and it seems #800-053 might be the return (duck bill type) but I can't see one for the "reusable retainer style for the pressure side of the injector rail??

Yes, there are Dorman numbers for both the end fittings and the "fitting + 18" attached tubing". I will need to search for the numbers. The replacement fittings have changed over the decades.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    I was able to find all these fuel parts, lines and clips on the Rock Auto site. Just need to search under Tools and Universal Parts (I believe)...

Noob
    Thanks mike!
    I managed to find the following info...
    Dorman #800-050 for the pressure line (5/16" tube, 5/16" fitting
    Dorman 800-053 for the return line (5/16 tube, 1/4" fitting

Sweet! Rvrn Amaaon carries one of those.

If you need the proper tool to assemble the fittings, let me know. It's in a box in the shop somewhere - just need to locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Sweet! Rvrn Amaaon carries one of those.

If you need the proper tool to assemble the fittings, let me know. It's in a box in the shop somewhere - just need to locate it.
    I dare you to find it and post a picture of the mystery tool.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I dare you to find it and post a picture of the mystery tool.
    Locating it is a worthy task indeed. But pictures Ialready have!