Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 84 owners

Original 84 owners

Since I'm digging into some stuff on my engine, I'd love to see some underhood pictures of an original 84. Can anyone help out?

Some Boost
    Here ya go. Original 84 (10/83 build date) only non orig is radiator and P/S (orig rebuilt)007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg

Thanks! Mine is a 10/83 build date too.

Building Boost
    Excuse the export brace and mm camber plates. Otherwise all original. DSCF2196.jpgDSCF2197.jpgDSCF2199.jpg

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    very nice gentlemen!!!! Dave, I don't mean to be douchey; aiming for correctness and no confusion, but you wiper motor, cooling fan motor and shroud, valve cover and battery hold down clamp have been repainted at some stage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not to pile on, but we need to be careful when we talk about "original" to make sure that others don't make similar mistakes when restoring their cars.

The battery hold down is not correct (besides the color), the battery cables are not original (the terminal covers are incorrect), as Chris stated, quite a few of the original zinc dichromate parts have been painted black.

I do agree though, very nice pics!
    1986 2R Comp Prep
    1986 9L Comp Prep

Good point.... and I'm sure there are some 'lurkers' out there sitting on low mileage, all original cars they could share.

They are just teasing us. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Good point.... and I'm sure there are some 'lurkers' out there sitting on low mileage, all original cars they could share.

They are just teasing us. lol
    I could if I could get at them ! LOL Getting ready for winter in MI (because I wanted to change my garage) turned into scattering the cars to two states and (yes I'm back to keeping cars at friends houses) ! I know that many of you have done the same due to lack of space, garage or just "hiding from the wife". In this case we needed room for 5 cars fast (don't ask) and with the Cuda on a rotisery am out of space. I might be able to get to the 3000 mile Comp Prep - but photos will be bad. (How is that for tease) I will say this with that RED battery tie down how far are you from a complete color change to RED !! (right Mike) Mark PS (not mine)

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    here's a link to a thread over on the Concours Mustang forum about this very subject. Unfortunately most of the pics I have are of 85 & 86 cars.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum...p?topic=1134.0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Boost
    One original part I did not see is the black plastic shield that fits between the back of the alternator and the intake manifold. Have no idea of the intended use of this part. Only fits the inline intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    here's a link to a thread over on the Concours Mustang forum about this very subject. Unfortunately most of the pics I have are of 85 & 86 cars.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum...p?topic=1134.0
    Great site, unfortunately some of the older pictures do not show up and there isn't a lot of SVO activity over there yet.

Good to have 85 & 86 pictures too.

Quote Originally Posted by svobrad View Post
    One original part I did not see is the black plastic shield that fits between the back of the alternator and the intake manifold. Have no idea of the intended use of this part. Only fits the inline intake manifold.
    Not sure what plastic shield you are talking about? If it's the alternator shroud, that wasn't on the 84's.

Yep, I remember that part too.

Best I could figure it as an added electrical insulator between the #1 lower intake runner and the high-tension spark plug cables from the nearby distributor. Doesn't make any sense to add thermal insulation there.I may still have that part in a box somewhere, but i left it off the car from the first time I had the lower intake off, about 5K miles from new, iirc.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Ahhhh, I think I remember what you are talking about. Is this it? Never gave it much thought.

Never mind the crud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Great site, unfortunately some of the older pictures do not show up and there isn't a lot of SVO activity over there yet.

Good to have 85 & 86 pictures too.
    Jeff's site predates SVOCOP by just a bit. I didn't know Pat and Mike were working on this - so when Jeff was working on Concourse I said Hay "how about an SVO section" (to which he said GREAT YOU CAN BE MODERATOR!

I just posted up a topic on the Concours Mustang site about the various positive battery cables that have been issued for our cars over the years.

Yes your right, not a lot of activity for the late model cars on that site... mostly early model stuff (which is fine since I have some of those too).
    Last edited by bluemax; 12-13-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    1986 2R Comp Prep
    1986 9L Comp Prep

I saw the post. Very nice!

Yea, I hang out there for the early stuff too. Lots of good info and details I never knew about. I have a very original rust bucket 65 A code coupe that I'm always finding original details on. One day I hope to restore it.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Some Boost
    If you need late 84 pics let me know 25,000 mikes on mine. .

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I thought you might chime in on this one.

I think there may be a few here that have quite a few pics of your car Kevin. Its a very nice example for anyone needing to restore an 84.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Would love to see some pictures of it!