Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The" Racecar Build

"The" Racecar Build

Now this race car build is not to be confused with some other race car builds...this is "THE" race car build. Many have attempted, many have completed, but I don't think anyone has taken so long to complete...wait...I cant say complete yet can I...or others...Blue Bitch!

In the beginning this car started off fairly stock. I purchased this car from Robert Canepa (Bruce Canepa’s brother) back in 2000. Robert and Bruce raced this car in SCCA Club racing. According to Robert it was his first race car. The car was painted to match his Ferrari Challenge car. I did some minor mods to the car.big valve head, FMIC, shocks and springs

2.3 Turbo (Stock bottom end) Big Valve Head
    T3 Turbo NPR FMIC
    8.8 rear end, 4:11 gears Stock T5 tranny
    245/45/16 Wheels/Tires Custom valved Koni Shocks
    6 point Auto Power roll cage Ford "C" springs
    Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture7.jpg

I actually got T-Boned in this car.
    Picture4.jpgPicture5.jpg

After numerous DNF's due to electrical issues I decided it was time to clean the 20 year old wiring up.

Picture8.jpg

Also had to do some engine bay cleanup

Picture10.jpgPicture11.jpg

Of course as you can probably guess...it didn't stop here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

To make sure I keep your interest...here are some pics of the car done (mostly)...then I'll continue with the build saga...

Engine bay with custom intake (being replaced this week because it didn't work...more to come on that)

Picture160.jpg

Nice photo of the car at a Queen Mary Mustang show...took first place in SVO class...honestly there were much nicer SVO's there...I think this car took it just because of the "wow" factor...besides...who doesn't like a race car.
    Picture161.jpg

Interior
    Picture162.jpg

Hood Shot
    Picture163.jpg

Rear wing
    Picture164.jpg

Rear mount fuel filler
    Picture165.jpg
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

So I then decided it was time to put some real suspension in the car. Out goes the stock K-member
    Picture12.jpg

Filled in some of the gazillion holes
    Picture19.jpg
    Picture18.jpg
    Picture13.jpg

While waiting for the Maximum Motorsport Full Grip Kit I decided to do some painting (although premature)

Picture20.jpg

So Shiny
    Picture21.jpg

Parts received for the Full Tilt Boogie!

Picture16.jpg

Picture15.jpgPicture14.jpg

Big Brake Kit

Picture17.jpg

How much rwhp are you making?

And I thought I was "mad at my money" !!

Mark

Looking good!
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Wow... yea the Wow factor! Very cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Out with the old and in with the new, MM K-Member
    Picture22.jpg
    MM Caster Camber plates
    Picture23.jpg
    New steering rack
    Picture25.jpg
    Koni coil overs
    Picture26.jpgPicture28.jpg

New spindles
    Picture30.jpg

Here are some pics of the X-bracing for the doors.
    Picture32.jpg

A tangled web of roll bar
    Picture33.jpg Picture34.jpg

Prepping for a fuel cell
    Picture35.jpg

Additional front stiffening

Picture36.jpg

The cage goes from the back of the car through the firewall to the front shock towers and sway bar
    Picture37.jpg
    Picture38.jpg
    Picture39.jpg

Remember I said the roll cage went from the back to the front. This is a "reverse" Pat's strut tower brace

Picture40.jpg

Additional strut tower reenforcing

Picture41.jpg
    Picture42.jpg

All the way to the sway bar
    Picture43.jpg

Might as well lighten up the front end since I added all that steel
    Picture44.jpg

Someone told me the MegaSquirt is easy...I beg to differ. "Installing" the MegaSquirt was pretty easy. Making it work was a bit more challenging.
    Picture45.jpg

Brakes and clutch are all done with new Willwood setup.

Picture46.jpg

This was the first attempt at the dash. Although it looks really cool, it was way too far back. I ended up replacing it later. I may go back to this design in the future.
    Picture47.jpg

Picture48.jpg

Time to do some work on the rear end stetup

Picture49.jpg
    Picture62.jpg
    The Maximum Motorsport shock connectors wouldn't fit.
    Picture55.jpg

Had to improvise

Picture56.jpg

Some pics of the underside

Picture53.jpg
    Picture52.jpg

Picture51.jpg

Picture50.jpg

Picture64.jpg

Some pics of the engine bay before paint
    Picture57.jpg

Picture58.jpg

Here is the dash I originally had in mind...I think I should have kept it this way

Picture66.jpg

Picture65.jpg

Some of the painted cage

Picture63.jpg

Picture62.jpg
    Picture67.jpg
    Picture61.jpg

Picture60.jpg

Picture59.jpg

This is an awesome build good job

Vince,
    With the work that all of us had in that car, we were all proud to see it place first at the Queen Mary show.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

With the work that all of us had in that car, we were all proud to see it place first at the Queen Mary show.
    Anohter trophy for Team Red!! Nice work!!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

OK...now I'm going out of order because I just starting putting back in a stock (ported) upper intake. The custom one we built didn't have the right volume needed. I was only able to get about 210 RWHP out of the motor. Should have been able to make a lot more. I used to have a NPR FMIC on the car and I still have the plumbing for that. However with the new FMIC I needed some new plumbing.

Here are some pics of the new plumbing, still need to trim to fit but I had to prove that I'm actively working on getting the car to the track!
    IC_Pipe1.jpgIC_Pipe2.jpgIC_Pipe3.jpg

Now that I have the suspension in place I put the wheels on and don't have the clearance needed both front and rear.

Picture68.jpgPicture70.jpg

I did a lot of research on the fenders I wanted and kept coming back to the Ford Motorsport flares. However at the time they were not available so I decided to build my own. After this project was complete, the company that originally made them started producing them again. I wish they would have had them available before I went through all this reverse engineering. But it was still fun to make them.

I mocked up what I wanted the fenders to look like.
    Picture72.jpg

Then I cut the fenders
    Picture75.jpg

Now it's time to build them.

First I built the cardboard shape, taped it to the fender then welded on the skeleton

Picture76.jpg
    Picture77.jpg
    Picture79.jpg
    Picture80.jpg
    Welded on some steel

Picture78.jpg

Here are some more pics of getting the basic shape down with the sheet metal

Picture83.jpg
    Picture84.jpg
    Picture85.jpg
    Picture86.jpg
    Picture87.jpg

I had to do the same process with the rear fenders.
    Picture81.jpg
    Picture106.jpg
    Picture107.jpg
    Picture108.jpg
    Picture110.jpg
    Picture111.jpg