Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The" Racecar Build

Half Boost
    Looks familiar. Make sure the throttle clears the hood-ask me how I know!!

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    Looks familiar. Make sure the throttle clears the hood-ask me how I know!!
    Already had to cut out some of the fiberglass hood support material to clear the turbo. Seems to close OK right now but we will see once it's all put together and running.
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

Already had to cut out some of the fiberglass hood support material to clear the turbo. Seems to close OK right now but we will see once it's all put together and running.
    Get some heat shields and airflow in there. GFRP burns easily.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

When is the next track day?
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

BTW - Vince, your car has just the right amount of red in it.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Hopefully your glass hood has the supports in different areas than stock. My throttle caught on the inside of the reinforcement rib when the motor torqued under full boost.

Heat shields...yes...in progress
    Next Track day...Hopefully late April at Spring Mountain
    Red...of course
    Supports...HO Fibertrend hood. The supports have been "modified" many times. Throttle looks like it will all clear but like you mentioned, I wont know until it's running on the track again.
    Last edited by vrinner; 02-14-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

Vince,

Don't know if you need any "heat shield" stuff like this, but if you do, PM your address to me and I'll send it to you.

I love your persistence - and all of your hard work.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    7B SL55

Thanks Greg. PM sent.

It certainly has taken some time to get things all worked out. Everything else on the car is setup great. Just gotta get the motor done.

Speaking of heat shielding, found this recently:

http://www.zircotec.com/page/--zircoflex-gold/199

I know nothing about it, but it does look interesting.

A little bit further along. Had to have a new turbo oil feed line and drain made. Next is put on the heat shielding (thanks Gregg!) then button up the small bits.
    Intake2.jpg
    Intake1.jpg
    Progress2.jpg
    Progress1.jpg

I, personally, would like to see some soft grommet material (even rubber hose) surrounding these holes in the sheet metal.
    Intake1.jpg

Something to do during Knotts weekend.

Yeah...the plug wires do have a grommet and the other line needs it for sure

Half Boost
    I'm guessing the coil is inside to keep it away from engine heat?

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    I'm guessing the coil is inside to keep it away from engine heat?
    And so the driver can switch coils, should the need arise, without stopping in the pits.

Building Boost
    vrinner. I have a question on your catch can. Is it setup to drain into the pan, (with a check valve?) or do you do it manually into a cup of some sorts? I have one and it fills up WAY to fast. Takes forever to drain thru the tiny drain cock. Then again the hose you have is way smaller than what I have.

TIA. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by J. Caraco View Post
    vrinner. I have a question on your catch can. Is it setup to drain into the pan, (with a check valve?) or do you do it manually into a cup of some sorts? I have one and it fills up WAY to fast. Takes forever to drain thru the tiny drain cock. Then again the hose you have is way smaller than what I have.

TIA. Jim

Setup to drain back into the pan...kind of. So from the valve cover it goes into the can. There is another larger line that goes to the block on the intake side where where the stock pcv valve is. There is a third drain line that I still need to drain every couple of hours of running the car.

External Wastegate Manual Boost Control question

OK...so I've seen a couple of different versions of this.
    Option 1
    Boost hose from turbo compressor to the inlet (bottom) of the Gillis Valve
    Hose from outlet (side) of the Gillis Valve to the bottom port of the Tial external waste gate
    Top port of the Tial external waste gate goes to atmosphere

WasteGateOption1.jpg

Option 2
    Boost hose from turbo compressor with a T
    One side of T goes to the inlet (bottom) of the Gillis Valve
    The other side of the T goes to the bottom port of the Tial external waste gate
    Hose from the outlet (side) of the Gillis Valve to the TOP port of the Tial external waste gate

WasteGateOption2.jpg

Any opinion on which one to go with?

When you use a single port boost controller like the Gillis, you only use the side port (pressure port).

You will have your pressure signal coming from the compressor to the boost controller, and from the boost controller to the side port on the Tial.

Your Top port on the Tial, will not be plugged to anything (vented to atmosphere).

Make sure that your Tial valve is pointing towards the cross over inlet pipe (where the gases are coming in) and make sure that the Gillis stays mounted like you have it shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    When you use a single port boost controller like the Gillis, you only use the side port (pressure port).

You will have your pressure signal coming from the compressor to the boost controller, and from the boost controller to the side port on the Tial.

Your Top port on the Tial, will not be plugged to anything (vented to atmosphere).

Make sure that your Tial valve is pointing towards the cross over inlet pipe (where the gases are coming in) and make sure that the Gillis stays mounted like you have it shown.
    OK...just to make sure, like my option 1 picture in previous post? Also make sure valve is pointing towards the cross over inlet pipe...do you mean the valve inside the wastegate or something else. Here is a picture of the wastegate and the crossover lines.

wastegate.jpg

One more question...the turbo currently does NOT have a port for the vacuum line. I can either drill and tap the turbo (more risky) or can I drill and tape into the intercooler pipe just past turbo before the IC?