Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Formula 1 Racing Thread

Man, I bet half the field doesn't finish! And we haven't even see the fuel economy equation dealt with. How many run out of fuel instead of finishing. I think Oz will see surprising strategies.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Jenson BUTTON! Still flogging that tired nag, Tony?

He'll be performing the "Weber" role for McLaren this year.

Great qualifying session!

I wonder if Mssr. Vettel has been driving an almost perfect car for so long that he has lost some actual driving skills? Since his younger, more inexperienced teammate seriously out-qualified him. Hmmm ...

And my good bud Lewis does great again. Of course it was just another case of the last man standing - so that's credit to team management.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Daniel Riccardo has been driving shitty cars for almost as long as Vettel has been driving great ones.

I'd say Riccardo is more prepared for the situation that the RB guys find themselves in.

Vettel looked about as good as...Button.

I have to say that Ferrari disappointed. Williams, however, may be back on their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post

Vettel looked about as good as...Button.
    I have always maintained the Vettel was a golden child with a golden spoon. Qualifying was good, but I don't think we have fully learned everything we need to know for the race. Hoping for a dry race tomorrow!

The results were interesting.

I'm probably most thrilled by the resurgence of Williams. They've got a live one in Bottas. Through the field twice!! For about the last half of the race he seemed to be the only one passing anyone.

I can't tell if some of the better guys are sucking with the new cars, or if the cars are experiencing problems. Kimi looked like a rookie.

Lotus looks worse than Caterham and Marussia, no wonder so many folks jumped ship.

It is difficult to get your hands around all the things that happened in Australia. The track is known for high fuel usage, tough to pass, greasy but hard on tires. Of those that finished, fuel usage did not seem to be an issue and tire life did not seem to be an issue although driving on rain tires is still unknown for most. The Ferrari performance is suspect. Red Bull will be more competitive than people thought. Williams will be more competitive than people thought. Lotus may be competitive if they can fix some reliability issues. The bigger questions for me are how well will Vettel, Massa, and Kimi adapt to the new car. And who will wreck the next race, Kobioshi or Maladono?

Hey Bob! I see that with Red Bulls disqualification, Button is third! Guess I had a pretty good guess on the old horse(or Smurf as he is known) Isn't your car Smurf Blue?

image.jpg

Button got beaten like the #2 that he is by a rookie in an identical car.

;P

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Button got beaten like the #2 that he is by a rookie in an identical car.

;P
    So did Vettel. A lot of teams had their number 2 driver do better. Vettel got beat, Massa got beat, Button got beat, Hamilton got beat, everyone at Lotus got beat.........

Vettel broke, Massa got punted, Button got beat, Hamilton broke, but you got it right on Lotus.

^
    And the younger, "less-experienced with last years cars" drivers did much better than the older, more experienced [with the previous, easier-to-drive cars] drivers did.

The learning curve appearsto be in effect now - both driver and technical. While the pit stops don't appear to have changed much.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I think I saw a 2.8 second stop, with a couple 3.0s also thrown into the mix. Amazing.

It almost seemed - while watching the race - that the pit stops were disproportionally faster then the cars were on track. An optical illiusion I'm sure.

I thought that Red Bull was going to leap to the top of the heap, again, once it had its IT issues dealt with on the power unit. However, if the fuel consumption issue isn't also dealt with, they may have a longer hill to climb.

Malaysia practice will soon start. Time to refllect and conjecture on the upcoming race. Who will win? Probably Mercedes. Who will be on the podium is a tougher question? McLaren should marginally improve, Red Bull will probably improve a good bit as will Mercedes. Lotus will improve quite a bit. But lets face it their fastest lap was slower than a 5 cylinder Mercedes. Maybe they can beat Caterham? Williams will improve, not because of Maladona but for Massa. I like Maladona and Kobioshi like Bob likes Button. Is Ferrari in serious trouble? If Hamiliton, Massa and Vettel had not dropped out of the race would they have made it to the top 10? The track has some long sweepers that the Ferraris and Red Bulls like, but do we really know what the Mercedes can do? Fast lap was lap 29 by Nico and at the end of the race with him running on the lesser performing hard tires and the rest of the top 5 on the softs he was still pulling away comfortably. The Red Bulls brake later and carry more speed into and out of the tight corners better than everyone else, and with rain expected are we going to see them at the top of the podium spoiling the day for Mercedes, McLaren, and Williams? It should be fun and exciting! For a best guess before practice, Mercedes, Mclaren and Red Bull on the podium! Ferrari will not be in the top 5! Kobioshi or Maladona will crash!

Hard to argue your points.

"Bottas is faster than you..." !!!!!

"Bottas is faster than you..." !!!!!
    It would appear that perhaps the only times Massa has driven "fast" is when his seat is on the line or after he's just been told by the team to yield to his teammate. With very few exceptions.

^
    It could happen.