Thread: Tire time this spring,,,,,

Noob

Tire time this spring,,,,,

Any recommendations for a sticky set of tires for my SVO. I don't rack up very many miles so long tread life is not going to be an issue. Anyone came across anything interesting lately? Had great customer service?

What do you use the car for?

Dunlop Direzza Z2's (second gen Star Specs) are very popular, as are the Hankook RS-3 for auto-x and track use. You did say "sticky", yes?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I have the Hankook RS-3's on my '86. I'd say they're the stickiest "street" tire I've experienced without going to a slick race tire. A good compromise of street/autocross performance. They suck in the rain, but grip very nicely on dry pavement. Good value for the money too.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Are you getting Spring or Summer tyres??

I have a set of PSSs for the EVO on a spare set of wheels - the street tyres. They are VERY different in traction levels than the Star Specs (my track tyre set) - especially when cold. The PSSs come with a 30K warranty (which would be ten+ years for the EVO) and are quieter than the Dunlops in highway use. They are also a summer-only tyre and not recommended for cold weather, ice or snow.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I have the Hankook RS-3's on my '86. I'd say they're the stickiest "street" tire I've experienced without going to a slick race tire. A good compromise of street/autocross performance. They suck in the rain, but grip very nicely on dry pavement. Good value for the money too.
    I love my Hankook RS-3's, and I don't think they suck in the rain.

I'm not sure how they do when it's "cold" outside.

In my experience, all "Extreme Perf Summer" tyres turn into hard plastic at about 40F.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOJames View Post
    I love my Hankook RS-3's, and I don't think they suck in the rain.
    It rains in Texas????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    It rains in Texas????
    Yep, and in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee, all places I've driven (drove?) my RS-3's in (sometimes heavy) rain.

Yep, and in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee, all places I've driven (drove?) my RS-3's in (sometimes heavy) rain.
    Rain in Texas? Who woulda guessed that? Wow - learn something new every dayumed day!

Welcome back James!

Building Boost
    I too really like the Hankooks. I have about 20 autocross passes on them and they really stick, though not quite as well early the season when the temps are in the 50's.