Thread: Wall Mounted Tire Rack & Garage storage

Wall Mounted Tire Rack & Garage storage

I had to make more room in the garage so another adjustable tire rack from Summitt was in order. For anyone looking into the rack from Tirerack.com, the same one is sold at Summitt & the shipping price is significantly cheaper from Summitt.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...y=Tire+Storage

Same rack from Summit (They show the image without the Tire Rack decal)
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900048/overview/

Summit shipping cost is $8.00, while the shipping from Tirerack is nearly $30.00.

1 & 2. Original rack purchased from Tirerack.com
    Tire Rack-1.jpg

Tire Rack-2.jpg

3. Tire rack from Summit, also the same rack, mounted above. Now I can move around without maneuvering around a stack of SVO wheels.
    Tire Rack-3.jpg
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Half Boost
    If they only hold 4 tires, I would need at least 4 of them. I could build one that is bigger but that is probably a good deal if you figure in time and welding wire and gas.
    The problem is, I need another garage just to hold parts I think. Just not enough property for that though.

Currently I do not have a spare set of Mustang rims but I have two sets for my '12 F150. 20" OEM chromes for summer and '09 FX4 alloys for the winters. I can barely maneuver them to stack them or get them on the truck when swapping let alone putting them up high. Yours look pretty high up Mitch. Unless they had a pulley to pull the rack up and down or if I had a lift to get them up there...Plus with nine foot ceiling in my garage it might be a head banger.

My problem like dagenham is needing more garage or more shed or something else to store the ever growing part/stuff collection!
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Yes I do have high ceilings. The garage doors follow the pitch which gives me plenty space. Eventually I'll get a 4 post in there, when I can find one for the right price. Until then I'll just stick with using the ladder to pull the wheels down. Since I rarely use them, it isn't that big a deal.
    I also posted info in another thread on building a low budget rack that can free up some space. It would work well for normal height ceilings.
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...for-the-garage

I think Pat may have posted pics & plans on FB of the rack he put together, maybe he can post them in here?

Below are a few pics of the garage.
    We started by blowing in insulation into all walls. The temp in the garage stays around mid 50's to mid 60's in the winter with no heater. We then replaced the garage doors with new insulated doors & changed them to follow the pitch opening up space for a lift. Along with the new doors we added new Liftmaster Jackshaft openers for two bays freeing up space & as an added benefit they are very quiet. I also ran all low voltage wiring behind the sheet rock making it much cleaner than the previously stapled wires everywhere. Once that was all done I began building the shelving on one wall to store parts out of the way.

Garage outlets rewired & cleaned up.jpg

Garage Doors Bay 2 Follow The Pitch.jpg

Garage Door Bay 2 Liftmaster.jpg

Garage Door Bay 2 Eye Wiring.jpg

Garage Door Bay 2.jpg

Garage Door Bay 1 Wiring cleaned up.jpg

Garage Door Bay 1 & 2 Eye Wiring.jpg

Garage Shelving.jpg

Garage Shelving-2.jpg

Garage Shelving-1.jpg

In this pic you can see how the doors follow the pitch. You'll also notice the old metal shelves I started with when we moved in.

Garage Doors Bay 1 & 2.jpg

Tons of room for a lift! I would need to raise my whole garage to do that.

Okay I'm a little jealous now. Soo much extra space mwaahahaha. The options...
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Very nice garage & racks!! I got one on eBay relatively cheap for my extra wheels. I am pleased with it to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    Very nice garage & racks!! I got one on eBay relatively cheap for my extra wheels. I am pleased with it to say the least.

Nice! Did you buy from a vendor or a private seller?

Some Boost
    Griots sells the same tire rack. Free shipping or discounts make some cheaper. So far 2 tire racks and 2 car lifts. All filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Nice! Did you buy from a vendor or a private seller?
    From a vendor. It was around $100 shipped & worth it to me to get my extra wheels off the garage floor to help utilize more garage space.

Nice! I ended up getting the one Tire Rack offers....I guess the extra price justifies the stickers.....

I did a garage build-out almost a year ago and have really liked having a finished space to work in.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188665 I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Garage Journal website...but if you're not, check it out. Its an excellent place to get ideas if you're thinking of building or finishing a garage (and see folks with more money than they know what to do with)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Garage Journal website...but if you're not, check it out. Its an excellent place to get ideas if you're thinking of building or finishing a garage (and see folks with more money than they know what to do with)
    Awesome forum!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Nice! I ended up getting the one Tire Rack offers....I guess the extra price justifies the stickers.....

I did a garage build-out almost a year ago and have really liked having a finished space to work in.

Nice garage!!!

Why is my car out in the rain?
    Abolish the IRS, and End the Federal Reserve.

Great forum Pink. Stumbled across it before. there are some really cool builds & ideas in there.

Talking

If you have some 1 inch thin wall tubing and welder you can throw one together in no time for cheap.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Homemade shelf.

Well with parts and stuff accumulating I need more space. I was going to buy a rack from Canadian Tire (similar to all of the store bought metal ones). For $150 bucks I had a brainwave and decided to do my own (around $50 material). I was going to just have three supports but added a fourth. They are slightly offset to line up with the wall studs. It is very strong.

Currently I switch between summer and winter tires on my 2012 F150 which were stored in the open spot beside the saw. Man they are heavy and awkward too!

Due to being so heavy I built a pulley into the design which would be the only way to put them up there. Worked ok, still too much effort though if the rope were to slip in your hands. I am going to get more parts to the pulley to gain some more mechanical advantage. Three parts is not enough.

Once I had it high enough, a gentle push to get it on to the shelf as I let it down.

IMG_4801 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4802 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4803 (Medium).JPG
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT