Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Michael Schumacher Injured

Michael Schumacher Injured

F1 Michael Schumacher in critical condition after sking accident

http://news.yahoo.com/schumacher-39-...lkA1ZJUDM0M18x
    mark

Yea, sounds pretty serious.

Slight improvement shown in Schumacher's condition

Michael Schumacher's condition has reportedly improved slightly, but the retired Formula One driver remains in critical condition in a medically induced coma.

After doctors at the university hospital in Grenoble observed an improvement in Schumacher's condition late Monday night, they opted to undertake a second operation to remove an additional cranial hematoma on the left side of his brain in order to reduce inter-cranial pressure. The Schumacher family, which remains by his bedside, were reportedly consulted on the decision, and he appears to have made it through the procedure. His doctors say that he will, however, remain in the coma for as long as necessary, and that it's too early to make predictions on the extent and timeframe of his eventual recovery.

"We have a strategy to correct a number of anomalies that continue and we want to give ourself some time during this phase of stability," said Professor Jean-Francois Payen. "There are some important matters we need to think about for the future."

The seven-time world champion was taken to the hospital on Sunday following a skiing accident in which he hit his head against a rock, and has been listed in critical condition over the days since the incident.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I wonder if he was wearing a helmet?

They had an article on the news last week about helmet usage for skiing/snowboarding up to around 70-80%. With notable celebrity deaths such as Sonny Bono and Liam Neeson's wife/actress Natasha Richardson it is talked about more but is not mandatory yet.

Call me old school, but I don't wear a helmet skiing but I ski within my ability.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

According to several different news reports he was wearing a helmet.

From the yahoo article Mark posted:
    "A source close to the investigation into the off-piste accident at the posh ski resort of Meribel told AFP that Schumacher's helmet was smashed "in two" by the impact."

Now you are banned Darran, until your next post or until you read the article Mark shared.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    Call me old school, but I don't wear a helmet skiing but I ski within my ability.
    Ditto for me....
    My daughter wears a helmet skiing, but she likes to push the boundries.
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    ...or until you read the article Mark shared.
    "quoted a rescuer as saying the split helmet was full of blood."

I really need to to stop speed reading, and probably start wearing a helmet while skiing so I'm not "that guy" with his head split open on the hill.

Journalist disguised as priest attempts to access Schumacher's hospital room

In the pursuit of a big story, some journalists have tenuous relationship with things like ethics. For example, one such "journalist" in Europe has reportedly attempted to gain entry to the hospital room of injured racer Michael Schumacher... by dressing as a priest. While this reporter's blatant disregard for the Schumacher family's request for privacy is disturbing, attempting to gain entry to the room of a potentially dying man by dressing as a priest makes it a considerably more heinous act.

"Apparently a journalist dressed as a priest had tried to gain access to Michael's room. I wouldn't have ever imagined something like this could happen," Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm said.

Schumacher has been in Grenoble Hospital in France following a skiing accident in Switzerland over the weekend, where he suffered a traumatic brain injury after hitting his head on a rock. In speaking with the assembled media, Kehm also shed some light on how Schumacher's injury came about. According to his manager, Schumacher was probably not skiing at a high rate of speed when fell and hit his head - he had just helped a friend who had fall themselves and then began skiing into deep snow where it's possible the F1 champ hit a rock that caused him to tumble head-first into another rock.

Schumacher's progress towards recovery has been slow and uncertain, and he remains listed in critical condition and in a medically induced coma after a second surgery as of earlier today.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Update posted, not too promising....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...y-9066613.html

Bummer.

So who is Joe Bloggs, you ask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bloggs

No, I did not ask.

From the context of the article, it seemed pretty obvious what the author was implying.

Not to me...

I thought Bloggs was a real person.

Some Boost

Michael Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since hitting his head while skiing on December 29, and his condition is not improving. Reports from Mirror in the UK have doctors saying that each day in the coma puts Schumacher in danger of never emerging from it. However, they have no intention of bringing Schumacher out of the coma because they fear he could have a brain hemorrhage. The medically induced coma is meant to decrease his brain's need for oxygen so that it is under less stress for recovery.

Neurosurgeons at a medical conference in Hannover, Germany, made Schumacher's condition a topic of discussion during their meeting. They said that medically induced comas beyond eight days are dangerous because there is the possibility of permanent brain damage. If Schumacher comes out of the coma, he could suffer memory loss or be in a permanent vegetative state for the rest of his life.

Schumacher has been in the coma since entering the hospital in Grenoble, France.
    Currently, Schumacher is listed in "stable, but critical" by the hospital. His wife, Corinna, his two children and close family are with him at the hospital.

A phalanx of fans of the seven-time Forumula One World Champion have been waiting outside the French hospital and wishing for any sign of improvement.Doctors fear Michael Schumacher may remain in vegetative state for rest of life originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:47:00 EST.

Michael Schumacher leaves hospital after coming out of coma following ski accident

One expert said patients in the "rehabilitation" phase are often moved closer to home.Helen Fernandes, consultant neurosurgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, said: "This is a period that can be quite lengthy where people are supported to recover as best as possible after their head injury through things like physiotherapy and speech and language therapy.

"That tends to be closer to their geographical home because the interaction with friends and relatives becomes very important. They form a large part of supporting the patient through their neurological recovery." She said the disclosure that Schumacher is no longer in a coma suggests he has responded in some way to his surroundings.

"It would mean he is no longer unconscious and he is aware of his environment," she said. "Maybe he is talking or making some voluntary, purposeful movements,

"But it doesn't tell us much more in terms of what level that functioning would be."

She said it was impossible to draw any firm conclusions about the driver's recovery chances from the information that is currently available.

Generally patients with head injuries can be supported through a rehabilitation period for anything up to 12 or 18 months, she added."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...spital-3703344

My prayers are with him along with millions. He will get better, not the same but better.