Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: 3M 1080 Vinyl Wrap

3M 1080 Vinyl Wrap

When I was working under the car last summer I used the bottom of the car for leverage installing the lower control arms and my passenger side spat shattered. So, I ordered a new one off of ebay. It came unfinished and has sat in my den ever since. While researching stuff for another project I came upon this stuff. So I ordered a square foot and tried it out. Not perfect but not bad and totally reversable later on. The square foot of vinyl wrap cost about the same as a can of spray paint. The Gloss black really matches up nice with the gloss black 1C and the matte grey is darn close to SVO gray.IMG_1159.jpgIMG_1164.jpg
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

You can see where I taped over a small mistake.
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Very nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Good info, do you have a link to the product you used? I'd love to do something different on my spats (also a 1C car)

They are forever getting paint chips that I have to continue to touch-up....

JT
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

JT,
    I got "sample" sized pieces off of ebay from a company called "Metromods", they also had the tools and other stuff and videos of the wrap being applied. It goes on dry, and is pull and release if you have to redo an area. (You get do-overs!). I used a 12X12 sample of 3M 1080 GLOSS Black that I bought for $6.00 along with a roll (12'X60") of Avery Supreme Dark Gray matte vinyl that I bought for $17.00. I also bought a roll of their 3D Carbon Fiber vinyl (12"X60") for $17.00 , and a 35'X4' roll of 3M 1080 gloss white for $49.00. I plan on using the gloss white on the roof of my 2011 Kona Blue 5.0. I will experiment with the carbon fiber wrap and also experiment with how well the dark gray matte works on the SVO bumper trim instead of paint.

Eric
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Thanks for the info Eric!

JT
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Looks nice, your giving me ideas! Wraps are big here in vegas, they wrap complete vehicles here! Never saw such a thing until I moved here.

Snake,
    There is some 3M technical info on the Web about how well/ how long this stuff holds up to different UV exposures. I think 2-3 years for the southwest desert. Just google "3M 1080".
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by subpay View Post
    Snake,
    There is some 3M technical info on the Web about how well/ how long this stuff holds up to different UV exposures. I think 2-3 years for the southwest desert. Just google "3M 1080".
    Ok Thanks!

Since it was a rainy day I put the Gloss white vinyl on the 2011. Not SVO related but I think it came out well. Plus it shows that if I can do it (and I can be kind of a gorilla), anyone can.IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1188.jpgIMG_1172.jpg
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Vinyl Roof??
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Technically, yes. Kona Blue BOSS 302's have a white roof. I am very happy with how it came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Vinyl Roof??
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Did you need to use a heat gun for the edges?

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

It is all contact pressure. If you stretch it too much, crease it, or screw up, a little heat with my wife's hair drier would return it right back to original shape. Heat will also allow some stretch. You press it down / finish off with a felt covered squeegee (sp?). After it is in place some heat helps it all to seat properly. I don't know how the guys in the video used a full on heat gun, the hair drier almost semed too much. Any air bubbles were just "tapped out". It is damn near idiot proof.

I cut the sides near the rain gutter with this stuff called Knife-Tape. Worked like a champ. Imagine pinstrip tape emmbedded with dental floss. Nice smooth cut, then press down the edges. I used a razor on the front and back by the windows before tucking and seating the vinyl.
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Sweet - thanks for the details.