Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: steering wheel

steering wheel

So my svo had one of those steering wheel covers on it when I bought it. I hate those things, so the other night I went to take it off, I wanted to see how nice the leather wrap still was. I fought with that damn thing for over 5 minutes, seems like it shrunk down in size some, what a bitch! I was rewarded with what looks to be mint steering wheel leather! I have some nice leather cleaner and leather conditioner, I'm going to clean/condition all the leather pieces!

Thumbs Up

You should thank the original owner for doing that , great score
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Builder View Post
    You should thank the original owner for doing that , great score
    X2!! That's awesome! Those leather steering wheels are beautiful!!
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Yup, good thing it was covered! I cleaned and conditioned all leather pieces, the horn pad will have to be redone or a better original found, it has some wrinkles in it. Shifter handle has wear as expected, boot not to bad, couple minor blems, hurst lettering shows well. e-brake handle has wear as well. Can't complain for originals thou!

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    X2!! That's awesome! Those leather steering wheels are beautiful!!
    My steering wheel had a tear on the left side where the previous owner would 'palm' the wheel to turn it. I managed to track down a nice enough driver quality wheel to replace it for now. The rest were in decent condition but I would like to get an entire re-leathered set before they get even harder to find!

Good score!
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Building Boost
    Nice! When I removed the stupid cover off mine it looked like this. Awful, and the shift knob buzz's like a hornets nest. Will need to do something here; just going to cover it up for nowsteering wheel.jpg
    Do no harm

Half Boost
    You do know that is not a SVO steering wheel, right???
    I'm not trying to be smart, just making sure you know.

Building Boost Honorary Member

steering wheel

from the look of the stitching i would say that the wheel is svo. however the horn pad is not.
    thanks
    bob

Building Boost
    Not a problem. I appreciate the feedback. I assumed it was an SVO steering wheel in bad condition; but I would not know for sure? Help on the shift knob though; that aint stock is it? My horn doesn't work. I hear a clicking sound from behind the glove box but no beep. What would you do to proceed? Steering wheel-shift knob- horn? Thanks again.
    Paul.
    Do no harm

Building Boost Honorary Member
    i cannot see enough of the shift knob. remember that the original shift knobs were metric thread and leather covered.

bob

Building Boost
    Here is a pic of my shift knob. It says hurst on the bottom collar. It rattles loosely on the shaft and has little bit of free rotation in it (annoying). There is a nut on the shaft. Does this thread on/off? I haven't wanted to twist it hard for fear of breaking it. I would like a knob with 1-5, R pattern on it if I had my 'druthers. Thanks.SVO3 012.jpgSVO3 013.jpg
    Do no harm

20140114_182633_resized.jpg
    Here's my wheel! The center pad is loose on top, glue dried out. I'm going to reglue it and also try to get those wrinkles out,hairdryer anyone?

Paul, it looks like a knock off shifter handle you have and probably the wrong thread type.

Building Boost
    Affirm. Your wheel looks nice. Any advice about going aftermarket for both wheel and knob?? Going for a grand touring vibe.
    Thanks, P.
    Do no harm

Quote Originally Posted by Paulofolympia View Post
    Affirm. Your wheel looks nice. Any advice about going aftermarket for both wheel and knob?? Going for a grand touring vibe.
    Thanks, P.
    Summit racing has a nice selection of steering wheels and probably knobs. They have great customer service and could help you get the right knob.