Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Engine Pictures

Racing Engine Pictures

Let's use this thread to archive pictures of racing engines. It can be very instructive to look at what other folks are doing. I'll add some pics that I've run across for the Roush Trans Am turbo-4 effort. I'd really like to see any pictures that anyone might have for Rick Byrnes Bonneville record breaking Merkur engine, Huber's Mustang, etc. You get the idea. While I would prefer racing engines, well modified high performance engines and engine bays are acceptable. I'd also encourage the posting of any pictures that are instructive for efforts related to turbo-4 racing engines. F1 turbo era pics, Cosworth turbo Indy engines, etc. If you post a pic of a stock engine, don't get miffed if it disappears. Bob

The engine bay for the Blue Bitch:

Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Not a Turbo, but it sure is eye candy. 834 HP on 87 octane and 10 to 1 compression.

DSCN0118S.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

How many cubes, Mr. Pat?

510 inches. You can visit it in April. It's pretty much a coffee table until the budget for custom headers gets taken care of.

In the first pic of the Ford turbo engine, notice the added coolant outlet lines above each exhaust valve. That was required to push the engine/head combo above 350HP reliably (continously). Then they had crank, rod and piston pin problems at 400. Seems that when one of those fails, the others weren't far behind.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

So do we start another thread with car pics too?

Racecars, or Cars? I'll make one for racecars here.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    In the first pic of the Ford turbo engine, notice the added coolant outlet lines above each exhaust valve. That was required to push the engine/head combo above 350HP reliably (continously). Then they had crank, rod and piston pin problems at 400. Seems that when one of those fails, the others weren't far behind.
    Were those outlets or inlets? They have the same on the intake side. I just can't find that picture.

I've often thought about adding those to my set-up. Basically teeing off of the block at the same location as the turbo water supply. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

Cold coolant comes out of the lower radiator hose into the front of the block via the water pump hole and flows rearwards past the cylinders. Then up into the rear of the head, then forward through the head, past the combustion chambers and spark plug holes to the thermostat housing hole in the front of the head. Then onto the upper radiator hose for cooling again.

There are also small holes between the cylinders to the head in the head gasket to help release gas pressure and to assist in liquid filling without leaving gas pockets behind.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yep, that's my understanding.

So how does that tell us how the flow occurs with the exterior lines? Not being argumentative, just wondering how we know?

Block and head coolant pressure between the water pump and the thermostat housing restrictor is greater than that in the rest of the cooling system. The greater pressure coolant is forced to migrate to the lower pressure area.

On Ricks engine he copied the cooling modification(drilling additional holes in the block,head and gasket) from the small block Chevy. Specifically the 400 which had a different block the 350. The bores are siamezed and, although he did no testing, he felt it did no harm and probably helped. The coolant lines to the side of the head were tested and they definitely helped. He was also running a water pump that flowed considerably more coolant.

Iirc they first added those holes to vent the vapors and gas pockets (boiled coolant) that formed around the exhaust ports and spark plug areas in the head. Coolant would boil there and not provide any cooling and things went downhill rather quickly.

I also seem to recall that many racers on turboford.net were commenting on similar issues with Esslingers aluminum D-Port head - about poor coolant flow around the exhaust port

You didn't specify an automotive engine. Here is the Cobra guru McCluskey running a jet engine at Torrance airport.

jettest.jpg

I love the high-tech, anti-creep chain!

^^^ Hey, safety first!!!

Bottom end pix from Fitz.

IMG_0259.jpgIMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0333.jpg

See the dizzy gear oiling line in the last pic.

Got to like looking a a 2.3t built by a guy that builds ALMS and Indy engines for a living. Well jeweled block, Aux external oiling line, piston oil squirters etc.

Could be worse.

Could have been blowed up!

Here's a nice engine that was in a Cobra at Willow Springs on 5/12/2012.

DSCN0192.jpgDSCN0193.jpgDSCN0194.jpgDSCN0195.jpg
    Dscn0199.jpg

Give him time!