Thread: driveshaft balancing

Half Boost

driveshaft balancing

We dont really seem to have a driveline spot I'll put it here and if the moderaters wish to move it they can.
    I am actually working on the wife's '91 5.0, but the idea is the same. I'm trying to find a vibration problem that I think is in the driveshaft. I replaced the u-joints, but it didnt make much difference. The car has had a slight vibration ever since we got the car. I noticed today when I did the u-joints that there is a washer tack welded to the driveshaft.
    I have never seen a washer welded to the d/s from the factory. Everytime I see them it is a thick piece of square steel welded on.
    My question is, has anyone ever seen a washer looking thing like that on a driveshaft from the factory???

Half Boost
    No experience with that but back in the day I had a problem with a bent driveshaft from a tire change lift issue. Was hard to diagnose.

Some Boost
    more questions need to be asked before diagnosing.......

is it there all the time......... during acceleration .....during constant speed ...... or during deceleration

Half Boost
    It starts to get noticable at about 50mph. There has been two different sets of rims and probably 3 or 4 sets of tires, and it never changed any after that, so I was able to rule that out easily. It was there during accelerating and decelerating but is gone now with the u-joint change. The cross on the one u-joint was messed up.
    I did goof and put the front yoke back on 180 degrees off from where it was before. I am not sure if I want to bother changing it around or if I am just going to let it go and have the d/s rebalanced(which is something I was thinking of doing anyway).

Several years ago (probably 15 or 20), I had a driveshaft balanced from my '66 Mustang. I had it done at a Truck Service Center and the cost was about $40 way back then (which I thought was very reasonable). It took care of my vibration issue. Barry is right though.....