Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Cobra Mustang wheel fitment

Building Boost

1998 Cobra Mustang wheel fitment

I have been researching the 1998 Cobra wheel for some time now. This is the 5 slotted 17" x 8" wheel.
    Have read every wheel post on all the sites I could find but the lingering question is: do the wheels for the front have to be machined or not to fit the SVO rotor?

Some say it's a direct fit.

I was planning on using 245/45 on the rears and the same on the front. Car has 'B' springs. Any rubbing issues?

I assume these are the wheels you are looking at. The tires mounted are a 245/45 17. These are the stock springs, but the motorsport B springs are 1.5" lower in front and .75" lower in back. With the stock suspension I get some rubbing in front on hard bumps. I am currently moving the B springs from the Red SVO over to this car and will have some pics of those later. When I picked up the wheels they had these tires mounted. They will probably be changed out for some 235 tires as they are old and cracked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Building Boost
    That's exactly what I hope to do.

Did you have to machine out the wheels for the front to clear the rotors?

Also good to see you have used the SVO lug nuts.

Those center caps are a lot harder to find than I thought.

Those are not '98 Cobra wheels. They are '94-'95 Cobra wheels.

These are '98 Cobra wheels

3svo.jpg
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Building Boost
    The wheels I am using are: Part No. F8ZZ-1007-BA with center cap: F6ZZ-1130-B
    It looks like the pics Raven posted earlier. It is a silver wheel with clear coat - the 5 slots are silver also and not painted grey or black. In fact, these are N.O.S. wheels with the part number on the boxes. I've heard that these wheels were also on the GT's.

You are right in that they came on the 94-95 Cobra. Ford actually made them from 93-98. These 2 pics show the part number and the front hub. No machining was necessary. I do recommend you roll the fender to keep from cutting into the tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have '97 Cobras on my '86 with 245/40's all around. CIMG3467.jpg

IMG_20130720_143924_221_zpsccb7ad98.jpg
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Building Boost
    Thank really looks good.

Ever wonder how the wheels were masked and painted in the slots originally? Whole wheel must have been powder coated then the foreground was lathed down.

How could it be added later?

The new wheels I have are all silver and in the same design.

The wheels are painted and not powered coated I believe. I have known several people that have repainted them and even had them powder coated. The wheel originally came several ways, some were charcoal, gray, black, ect. Thats why the different part number. Same Wheel dimensions, just a different accent color.
    Last edited by Raven855; 03-19-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: English

That SVO with 98 Cobra rims looks awesome, anyone have morepics of that setup or done it? Seems like were talking about two different styles here and one looks to have more "meat" in the center to work with on machining than the other.

There are a couple SVO's with 98 cobra wheels in this thread:
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...show-8-31-2013
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Building Boost
    The casting number on the 1998 Cobra wheel is: F8ZC-1007-BA. This is the slotted wheel - not the spoked wheel.

The one thing I noticed is that the wheel does not have the slot to pry off the 5 hole center cap. It's an all silver wheel with clearcoat.

Is this wheel was not used on the 1998 Cobra then what was it designed for? I have never seen a '98 GT with these wheels.

The center is on quite tight. Any pointers how to remove? Should the wheel be removed from the car first? The lug wrench fits onto the lug nut with the cap on.

Quote Originally Posted by svobrad View Post
    The casting number on the 1998 Cobra wheel is: F8ZC-1007-BA. This is the slotted wheel - not the spoked wheel.

The one thing I noticed is that the wheel does not have the slot to pry off the 5 hole center cap. It's an all silver wheel with clearcoat.

Is this wheel was not used on the 1998 Cobra then what was it designed for? I have never seen a '98 GT with these wheels.

The center is on quite tight. Any pointers how to remove? Should the wheel be removed from the car first? The lug wrench fits onto the lug nut with the cap on.
    That wheel was used on the Cobras from 1994-1995.
    You can remove the center cap from the inside out, behind the wheel after removal.
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    There are a couple SVO's with 98 cobra wheels in this thread:
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...show-8-31-2013
    LOL, Mitch, I may get banned for this but there are 0.0 98 cobra rims in that link. They're all 96 rims.

Building Boost
    What is confusing that the wheel is a F8ZZ part (labeled on the Ford boxes) and the casting is F8ZC. Perhaps they were produced as a service part for the earlier 94-97 cars. But why wern't the slots painted the dark grey? All the Cobras I have seen are like that.
    None the less, I think the all silver wheel will look good on my silver SVO.

Quote Originally Posted by venomizd93 View Post
    LOL, Mitch, I may get banned for this but there are 0.0 98 cobra rims in that link. They're all 96 rims.
    Yup Mark, you are correct. I did some research on those last night & they are not '98 cobra wheels. But, I did find out they were on '94 -'97 Cobras. It was noted in old Car & Driver reviews. I'll sit back & enjoy my crow.

Oh, you are also correct that you will be banned, until your next post, for making a BOD member admit they were wrong. Let that be a lesson to you & me.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by svobrad View Post
    What is confusing that the wheel is a F8ZZ part (labeled on the Ford boxes) and the casting is F8ZC. Perhaps they were produced as a service part for the earlier 94-97 cars. But why wern't the slots painted the dark grey? All the Cobras I have seen are like that.
    None the less, I think the all silver wheel will look good on my silver SVO.
    The '94-'95's were all Silver, while the '96-'97's had the Charcoal painted in the slots.
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

The 94 Pace Car Cobras had the charcoal paint, regular Cobras 94-95 were silver. I have a original 94-silver. The 96-97 Cobras had the charcoal paint.
    86 SVO (9L)

So, I know 98 cobra rims were rare(limited to one year, I believe) but nobody else has tried them on their car?

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Oh, you are also correct that you will be banned, until your next post, for making a BOD member admit they were wrong. Let that be a lesson to you & me.
    If the criteria for being banned is proving you wrong, this place will be empty in no time!