Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Mile 86 in TX

Some Boost

$$$$

Low mileage original car with a repaint.

Begs the question...why?

Lots of little things bother me about this car and ad.

My observations from the pics in the ad:

• It's missing the thin trim molding
    • From the pics in the ad, the door trim appears to be too dark in color (that could be lighting)
    • Looks like the engine bay has undercoating sprayed in it (could be the poor quality pics)
    • Fender bolts have been replaced, why?
    • Missing the decal for the fan shroud, surprising for such low miles
    • Someone installed an alarm so the harness has likely been hacked & its pretty obvious there are new holes on the passenger shock tower.
    • Did any of the SVOs come from the factory with a tinted strip at the top of the windshield?
    • It's missing the correct front license plate frame
    • Why was it repainted??
    • The gauges look awfully faded. But that could be due to the poor picture quality?
    • What happened to the original Gatorbacks? I still have them with my 38K mile car.
    • On top of the $19,500.00 price tag, the winning bidder has to pay a $150.00 documentation fee. I guess thats the price you pay buying from an outfit like that?
    • The shift knob & steering wheel look GREAT!

Low mileage is nice, but there are quite a few questionable items on such a low mile car. I would also expect that someone selling such a low mile car for that asking price would do a better job at taking pics of the car. Maybe someone near by can stop by & view the car to confirm or clear up the points above? With the poor quality pics, I was quite surprised with the following quote in the ad:
    Seller Notes: Near perfect! Read description and see pictures as they speak for themselves

There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Magnolia Tx is down around Houston area, maybe a little north west of there. Car does look good but I noticed they expect bidder to pay for a CarFax report!
    For that kind of $ I would expect it to be provided with the auction info.
    In addition to what Mitch pointed out, (I agree completely) is that a service replacement sticker on the overflow bottle?
    I would like to see pictures of the bottom sides also along with the vin ID stickers on DS door and also tire stickers on ps door jam.

This kind of paint job could cost nearly 10,000usd alone,
    While you could pay that much, it's certainly not more than $5K worth of a paint job.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

For anyone interested, below are the answers I received to the questions I sent. I just took my observations above & sent them as questions:

Thanks for your interest. I will try to be as specific as i can as i am not the original owner of the vehicle and dont know all of its history....

The car was repainted less than a year ago and saw no mileage since then. Same color but way better quality, no orange peel, really nice clearcoat and very well done door inside areas as well as the hatch sorroundings. Its near a how quality paint

I am not aware of any bolts replaced but thats not impossible

As far as i know, not all the svos had the thin trim youre telling me about

The polished parts are not replacement parts on the engine bay, theyre additions, so underneath you will find the original caps and the polished covers on the towers simply screw on and off at your will

We dont have any other parts, like tires, license plate brackets, nor any other

It seems that the engine bay paint was left unmolested but also cannot assure that

The car looks really awesome and ill be more than glad to send you more pics if you provide me with your email address
    Thanks a lot

- revelwoodspeedlab

Thanks for your detective work Meotchh, I agree w/ your observations in your first post.

I notice the hatch lock is painted black.
    It does appear the engine compartment was painted as hardware that should be natural is black.
    Looks like the door striker bushing is missing (on a low mileage car?)

For a asking price of $19,500 it better be a true zero mile car if you ask me.

On top of all of the little things wrong with this car, why photograph it with other high end cars in the background? Trying to make a point about how special this car is. Seems like marketing slime to me.

It's a car I wouldn't walk away from......................... I'd

Second time I'm typing this (so I guess it is important) ! I like the fact that YOU GUYS are aware of the issues with the car ! Mitch should be the person to start this tread, point out the issues & question the seller. Really good cars exchange hands privately. Mostly WE know what it takes to paint a car correctly. You all know why the car doesn't have side trim (as does the seller $1000). LOL But mostly it is painting incorrectly. Anytime you use more masking tape than new emblems it will be an BAD JOB! I write this off to a dealer that buys or takes cars in trade, puts lipstick on a pig and sells for as much as they can.

Mark

P.S. It probably wasn't a bad car before they got it ! Prior owner took care of it, had some "dress up items under hood" - but that was probably to break up the black or from when he gave to his kid (prior to trading to this dealer for an import). Once you compromise a car and install aftermarket parts (shinny or not) you go down a road and "justify" your move (mistake) IMO

God I wish I could TAB my responses ! (can't "return" at end of lines)

SOMEONE has "editing" capabilities - but it wasn't me ! This response is a test and in ...........3..........2...........1...let's see NOPE! Mark P.S. Maybe it is a windows 8 thing.

Just received additional pics from the seller in email. As expected the pics he emailed are just as poor in quality as those posted in the ad. Is it a bad car? I wouldn't say that it is.
    Is it worth the asking price? Not in my opinion.
    The gauges are VERY faded as they appeared in the listing. But the pedals show almost no wear & the same goes for the shift knob & steering wheel.

The problem I have with the asking price, is that it is way too steep for a low mile car that has far too many alterations from stock for it's mileage. It is missing too many original parts that just shouldn't be missing on a low mile car & there is no way you'll get back that original paint. It leaves too many things to question, but on another note, the important interior pieces that are normally worn out on high mileage cars, are in top notch shape here. I am a little biased, but I would price mar car above this car, & mine has 25K miles more on the odometer. In fact, I would price Roberto's 4E above this car, & it was heavily as well as tastefully modified.

In the end, it is a nice car (judging by pics & the ad), but it has too many personal touches to it that can't be brought back to original. It will make a nice car for someone, but the kind of SVO buyer that would be intrigued in a low mile car, would walk away from this car. So who would pay that asking price? Not me, but there might be someone who falls in love with that.

SOMEONE has "editing" capabilities - but it wasn't me ! This response is a test and in ...........3..........2...........1...let's see NOPE! Mark P.S. Maybe it is a windows 8 thing.
    Mark - users are able to edit their own posts for up to 600 minutes, and the title up to 60 minutes if they also created the thread, from the original post time.

I edited your one-paragraph, multiple subject comment above to make it read gooder (a new term Mitch taught me recently on fb).

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Thumbs up

The company that represents the car is done a poor job of presenting the car all aspects restoration & price .
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post

I edited your one-paragraph, multiple subject comment above to make it read gooder (a new term Mitch taught me recently on fb).
    My situation is I can't "return" on my computer (on this forum) to break paragraphs. If I can ever get my logon (hint hint) I can edit posts via my mobile phone (after posting) I guess. Mark

I suspect that unless the price is dropped dramatically the car will be for sale for a loooong time. Are we sure of the mileage? I see no mention of documentation.

............ SVO in TX

IMHO, it needs to drop $5-7K in price.

Now if it were red ...

Building Boost Honorary Member
    hey mike. do you consider medium canyon red as ( red)?
    i suspect my 86 will be on the block as soon as i get rid of the snow.
    bob

hey mike. do you consider medium canyon red as ( red)?
    i suspect my 86 will be on the block as soon as i get rid of the snow.
    bob
    If the word "red" [in any language] is in there, Yes.

Noob

You call yourself experts??

Hello guys thanks for letting me into your forum. I will try to be as straight as possible as Idon't mean to offend no one but post my opinion. I live in the woodlands texas and I came to see the car your talking about. More than one at this post sound like a typical know it all with irrational arguments. I don't want to brag (you dot even know me) but i am a huge car guy. I own two ferraris, one lamborghini, mercedes black series, porsche gt3rs and many mustangs including shelbys.
    I am not an "expert" like you on svo's but I know the essentials and I am looking for one to
    complete my collection.
    i think you're right on:
    the picture quality on the ad (it may be better but if you know what you're looking for it may not be that important)
    paying for the carfax (should be included by default when you upload the ad, so it sounds weird)

neutral on:
    paying a documentation fee is not a big deal, 95% of dealers do so. Its even contemplated by texas dmv law. It covers misc expenses like paperwork, copies, sending checks or someone in person to the dmv to complete your registration... Anyway complaining about that just make you sound cheap. Everyone here care about his money but does not sound like a huge problem.

I don't mean to take sides nor know these guys at magnolia but I plain hated some of your affirmations sounding like you drove or even saw the car...

The paint: I am comparing this paint job to the one I have on my ferrari or lamborghini. I cannot find a difference. I don't know if the shades are correct to the book but the car overall looks fantastic to me
    someone said that its really weird to have this car repainted. The car is 25 years old right? Black right? Do you live in texas? Even if he car is pampered the paint goes out after all those years. Personally i prefer modern ppg urethane paint rather than the crappy single stage oem paint on those cars. I know original cars worth, but this is not a vintage ferrari!! And the seller is not claiming that the paint is original...

same deal with the tires. You have the oem gatorbacks. Cool! I don't want a tire near 30 years old exploding on ih45 cause I am an expert on original equipment on my car...

Then. We all know that good cars are only available through private sellers... That's of course not a rule. Ive bought most of my cars through dealers and the few I bought from particulars are not too distant. Yes! Some dealers are mofos same thing with private sellers... Again. If you think you know that much no one can sell you a useless car with make up, right? But for that you will need to see and drive the car, not only bla, bla on your side of the computer.

On details of trim, bolts, tags, sticker and other little issues that bothers you thaaaaat much. Well. The seller is not called "just museum like svos" i saw a few hi end cars, aston martin, shelbys, ferraris... Of course they would like to earn as much as possible but I dont think that saving a hundred dollars on the correct door moldings would make a huge difference to their business. You can earn a lot more on lambos, ferraris and so on.

If someone advertises a car (dealer or private) is just a car, if theyre not the original owner they may not know what happened with the service records, manuals, keys or other accessories that may be lost on the way from 25 years to our era...

again!! Guys, this is NOT a vintage ferrari, the asking price is not 1,000,000 usd come on! Any decent car any brand or year is worth something if in mint condition. Wheter you think it worth it or not you just sound like cheap cry babies.

conclusion: I dont know a lot about text book insignificant details but this is one of the nicest svos ive seen. The person who helped me (alex) was very kind and efficient. Finally i think they sold the car. It was sold to a collector out of the us but the transaction is on hold due to import laws on the country of the buyer. (Thats what they told me)

no bad intentions with you guys but you dont sound objective. A lot of dealers in the area (the most luxurious area in texas) feature hi end cars that may be shown on the photos as a sales argument. Thats a scam too? The guy that wrote that on this post would surely hide megan fox from the transformers movie just to discover the real quality of the movie plot...

open up guys! A low buck svo is not the best car on the world! Its a nice mustang but thats all it is! Don't be paranoid. No one is trying to take your huge money away from you with this "crappy" car in texas with a multimillionare company scam... Sound idiotic right?

Be objective. See the cars, drive the cars, then open your mouth!

I dont know your cars guys so i wont state an opinion. But I am not so sure that yours would look better than the one I drove in magnolia. Not after more than 25yrs.

I may or may not buy a car there. This one seems to be unavailable. I saw a big block 65 mustang that was awesome (have one already) but thats not the point. You should have elements before opening your mouth if you are the so called experts (thats why you have a forum, right)

thank you very much guys and please dont take me wrong I love to be on the forum and soon I will be sharing my svo experiences with you as I am getting one for sure again (sold one a few years ago)

AMrio,

Welcome Aboard. Post some pics of your collection!!

What kind of SVO are you looking for?

Noob
    Thanks for your welcome. I like the newer svos not the older ones with the recessed headlights. Here you can see my beloved and rare 78 cobra ii my 58 vette and 04 aston martin vanquish hope you like em
    image.jpgimage.jpg