Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Dash panel removal....

Building Boost

Dash panel removal....

I have removed and repainted my instrument cluster bezel on my 85 SVO with wrinkle paint, rather than the factory fuzzy dash paint. I need to remove the dash plastic on the passenger side, above the glove box, but cannot figure out how to remove it. I have the two visible screws out, but cannot seem to get the panel out. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

That panel is held on with sheet metal nuts, ~1" hex, iirc. Take out the glove box and reach up behind the panel through the glove opening. You will feel two plastic studs, ~1/2" dia, that have sheet metal hex nuts on them. Unthread those nuts and the panel will easily come away from the dash.

It helds ot have strng fingetips and at least two more joints between the wrist and elbow. Note there are sharp oblects in there so move slowly.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Thanks for that Mike. I know what you mean about the sharp objects. I found out the hard way on that!! :-(

Am going to take it out tonight.

Btw, my new 255lph pump came in today. I may install it this weekend if time permits! :-)

Attached are some pics for you to reference.
    Measurements of the panel:
    • Overall length = 21.75
    • Inside Stud position vertically on the back of the panel from the top = 2" (Measurement taken from bottom edge of the panel up)
    • Outside Stud position vertically on the back of the panel from the top = 2.25" (Measurement taken from the bottom edge of the panel up. BTW, Sorry for the fuzzy pic on the non-fuzzy side)
    • Outside Stud position horizontally on the back of the panel as measured from the outside/pass duct = 3.75"
    • Inside Stud position horizontally on the back of the panel as measured from the center duct = 4.25"
    • The size of the speed nut = .683" or ~5/8"
    • The size of the stud = .325" or ~ 5/16"

20140324_125322-1.jpg
    This pic is upside down compared to how it looks in the car (providing the car is not roof side down).

20140324_125449-1.jpg

• Overall length = 21.75
    • Outside Stud position horizontally on the back of the panel as measured from the outside/pass duct = 3.75"
    • Inside Stud position horizontally on the back of the panel as measured from the center duct = 4.25"

20140324_125529-1.jpg

• Outside Stud position vertically on the back of the panel from the top = 2.25" (Sorry for the fuzzy pic)

20140324_125545-1.jpg

• Inside Stud position vertically on the back of the panel from the top = 2"

20140324_125642.jpg

• The size of the speed nut = .683" or ~5/8"
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Oh Goodie! I don't need to look for pictures!

Thanks Mitch! (BTW you're banned, until your next post.)

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Oh Goodie! I don't need to look for pictures!

Thanks Mitch! (BTW you're banned, until your next post.)
    Great I needed that break!

Now you are banned for not moving the thread to the interior section & Phil has officially earned a banning as well for posting this in electrical. I have since moved it to interior, so all bans are null & void.

Building Boost
    Ha!!! I love this place already! Not a stuffy uptight forum like the SVOCA!! And I don't mean that to any current SVOCA members. I used to post there, but the purist thing, I really don't care for it! IMHO!

I ban myself for previously giving Mitch the permission to move threads.

( "What was I thinking??" he says to himself. )

Building Boost
    I guess Ford never thought anyone would ever have to take this panel off huh?

Well, they didn't anticipate this being a highly serviced item.
    Gloves & long needle nose worked well in the JY.

5/8" deep socket and some hand gripping.

When I removed the glove box it was easy to get at the two speed nuts, they where 5\8 socket
    Last edited by Ford Builder; 03-24-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Building Boost
    I ended up using a 11/16 through socket (from Sears, socket end slide over the bolt end, really handy). I forget that most of the time they put all of these pieces on before assembly. Removal is not even in the thought process during vehicle assembly.

install1.jpg

As mentioned, 11/16" socket possibly a deep socket. Depending on hand size, universal joints, and contortionist abilities, these are easy or hard to access. Even with the glove box removed, there is a piece of duct work that runs right across where you'll attempt to fit a socket. It can be done without pulling the dash.

Can you fit a ratchet wrench in there?

Building Boost
    I have used the 3/8" drive 11/16" socket and used an adapter down to my 1/4" drive ratchet. I used an extension (length as req'd.) to give some ratcheting space. Easier done if seat is removed - saves your back.

Building Boost
    Too late for my back! I have DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease) and basically no L5 Disc left... Oh well! I got them off. It is painted and ready to refit!! Thanks Everyone!!