Thread: Need advice on relocating the fuel filter when going 2 to single pump!

Building Boost

Need advice on relocating the fuel filter when going 2 to single pump!

Ok, so my new 255lph highflow pump arrived yesterday. I took the tank out yesterday as well. I knew already it would be nasty, and when I go the tank out, it was COVERED with dirt and crap. I cleaned it all off, removed the original low pressure pump and hanger/strainer. I went online and found a nice Carter hanger assembly (brand new) that comes complete with clips, clamps hoses, o-rings, etc. That should be here in a few days.

Now, with all that being said, I have removed the original filter/high-pressure pump assembly to facilitate the dual exhaust. I am going to get some barbed brass fitting and a small section of nylon fuel line of the right size and will take care of the gap created when I eliminated the original high pressure pump.

Long winded, I know, but now I am down to this question. I have eliminated the original filter assembly and want to know what others have done for a replacement filter? Should I put it in the engine compartment? Any suggested filter part number and location?

Thanks all!

Instead of using barbed ends and a short extension tube, get a Ranger fuel filter. It's almost the exact length as the HP chassis-mounted fuel pump and has the same quick-connect ends.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    I bought a filter holder for a 87-93 Mustang after seeing several others who did the walbro swap using one. Found it on Ebay cheap last year. Also got the Range fuel filter like Mike said.

Whole thing goes in this Friday (weather permitting!)
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Boost
    All,

How about this filter?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...908&cc=1140387

This is from a 1989-1994 I believe Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe (nice cars btw, have owned several). It is more compact and will tuck up nicely up next to the front frame rail (where the filter is located on the Tbird SC's). Thoughts?

^
    That may work also. I also found this pic in my collection of a std vs Ranger filter:
    Img_7192.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    How come you updated the pumps, I find in all the duel fuel pump cars I've played with the stock pumps are enough to make a fair bit of power if they are in good operating condition and clean fuel filter.. mine i the 84 svo went 11.80s.. however that was 2008 and they are 6 years older now so maybe thats bad advice... mine started leaking around the casing of the rail mount pump... so I bought a Walbro high press 255 to put in it's place from APE, and it came with every fitting etc.. was cheap too.

Building Boost
    Well, to be honest, I did it because I am switching to dual exhaust from single. The chassis mounted pump and filter are in the way when running a regular case style and size muffler.