Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectors car Insurance

Half Boost

Collectors car Insurance

Who is insuring with who and what are the restictions?

I used American Collector, but the rules & restrictions were a bit harsh. Now I'm using Hagerty & it's much easier, though that comes at a slightly increased rate. Good thing is Hagerty has a policy for cars under construction that will not be driven on the road while insured.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    I used American Collector, but the rules & restrictions were a bit harsh. Now I'm using Hagerty & it's much easier, though that comes at a slightly increased rate. Good thing is Hagerty has a policy for cars under construction that will not be driven on the road while insured.
    The 'work in progress' insurance is why I went with Hagerty too.
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I use 'Condon & Skelly' & they are great. The cars must be garaged & driven no more than 2,500 miles per year. No problem here.
    I pay $593 per year for full coverage for all 3 of my Fox Mustangs. That's a terrific deal if you ask me.
    I have the SVO insured for $15,500, the GT for $12,500 & the Cobra for $22,500.
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

I am also with American Modern. Iirc they require evidence of a garage the vehicle is keep in and you must also have another car for your DD. I don't recall the mileage limits but it is definitely not to be used for commuting to/from work but OK to commute to/from shows and events. I think the wording included "Pleasure only".
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I use Hagerty also because both of my cars are still "work in progress". They are easy to work with.

"Pleasure only". Thats every time i drive the SVO.

Half Boost
    Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    ...they require evidence of a garage the vehicle is keep in and you must also have another car for your DD. I don't recall the mileage limits but it is definitely not to be used for commuting to/from work but OK to commute to/from shows and events. I think the wording included "Pleasure only".
    Same rules for Hagerty. I went through my local agent (same price as online).
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Hagerty...... the only thing they don't want is daily driving type trips to the grocery store, work, etc. Basically every trip should be somehow 'hobby' related but if you want to go out for a meal that's ok too.

Condon & Skelly here too. I have both my SVO and ''70 Bronco with them. SVO is only $95 a year for agreed value of $10k. I pay $140 for the Bronco with $15k.

Just have to have them garaged and must show proof of another daily driver.
    86 1D #9823
    H&R Sport Springs, T-Coupe Intercooler, CAI, Bosch Bypass, 3" DP

Half Boost
    Filled out the app at American modern and here is what they sent in reply.
    Thank you for contacting American Modern for an insurance quote. While we appreciate the opportunity to serve you, we are unable to provide you with a quote because of one or more underwriting restrictions currently in place at the corporate level. Underwriting restrictions vary by product, but can be associated with where you live, you're driving record or loss history, and the age or condition of your home or recreational vehicle. The make/model of your vehicles require them to be 1979 or older to qualify for our collector vehicle program. I can offer coverage for the vehicles under Progressive’s regular auto insurance.

Thank you for your interest in American Modern

Here is what I got from Condon & Skelly
    Please note the vehicles should be in show condition to qualify for a policy and the value should be at the fair market value.
    Last edited by brsvo; 04-07-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add ons!

Half Boost
    I have Grundy. They dont have mileage limits and allow me to drive it to work maybe once a week.
    I cant complain about the rates either.
    They dont ask about condition, they ask for a couple pics and you state how much you want to insure the car for, and they dont have a year limitation.
    Very easy to work with.

Some Boost
    I have Grundy also for a couple of years now. Agreed to value policy on both the SVO and the 93 Cobra. No mileage limit. Only conditions were they must garaged (provide pictures) and you must show that you have daily driver and provide them with proof of who you daily is insured with. $15K on Cobra and $10k on SVO for $395 a year.

Some Boost
    I have American Modern and they were fine for several years and only requiring photos and a garage (never verified). They did limit the coverage to $20K without an appraisal. The 84 SVO ($18K),85 McLaren ($10K) and 67 T-bird ($15K) were covered. In 2010 I added the 89 LX vert. and they started giving me a hard time. They only wanted to cover for the purchase price. I managed to drag my feet and it was added for my covered price ($7.5K). 3 years ago I tried added the 03 Mach 1 with 8000 miles and they would not cover it, saying I had to own it for a year first! I used my regular Allstate policy and took the risk that I had a bill of sale for the purchase price proof. I added 88 Mclaren ($15K) a couple years ago with no issues. All are agreed value policy.

Recently, I had the 03 Mach 1 appraised for insurance and it came back as I expected $20K. I went back to American Modern now having owned the car a few years, and they still gave me a hard time. Finally, they did add it to the policy, covered for $12K, 1000 miles max, and $1000 deductable. I was not happy but it's probably better than Allstate at this point. Good news it cost only $14.00 per year. Total for all cars? Too cheap, I think they did the math wrong as it's cheaper now than when I started with 3 cars. I need to start shopping around again. I have a quote from Classic Collections from a few years ago and they seemed flexible. In shopping around , my wife got ripped into by Haggerty stating she was doing it all wrong (illegal). Another would not cover the cars because my daily driver was too old, 2002!

Half Boost
    Sorry to say all these companies are telling me my past driving record isn't good enough to insure me. Most are asking for 2 tickets or less. I have had 5 but none since 1988!!!

I have had 5 but none since 1988!!!
    I don't think any states keep those records past 7 years, most past 5.

I don't recall AmMod even asking me about a driving record. The requested agreed value assigned to the car was never questioned either (and they automatically increase it a bit every renewal too).

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I don't think any states keep those records past 7 years, most past 5.
    I agree with Mike and I have never heard of anything thing being kept past 7 years. No tickets since 88, you are well past being 25 years old with no tickets you would not be considered an unnecessary risk. You may want to take a look at your driving record to see that it is correct.

Building Boost
    Most places I've been to only go back 3 years on tickets or accidents...just sayin'.

Most places I've been to only go back 3 years on tickets or accidents...just sayin'.
    While this is true for the actual ticket, some states (Arizona, for example) will keep the points, if any, from some deleted ticket(s) on your record for a longer time - depending on the offense. For example reckless driving, racing, DUI. DWI, etc.

There is no reason to have anything active after ten years in any state I'm aware of.