Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer color question

Half Boost

Speedometer color question

Can someone show me a good pic of their original speedo. I bought a gauge cluster at Carlisle today and the marks after 85 look like the wrong color, but the guy had a second one and the marks looked about the same.
    just like to confirm the color before I put it in the car.

Here is a pic of my '86.

'85GT
    '93COBRA

Half Boost
    With the sun on it I still cant tell, it is it just plain orange or is it kinda brownish orange????

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    With the sun on it I still cant tell, it is it just plain orange or is it kinda brownish orange????
    Here is mine but it is kind of yellow orange by the looks. Not the best lighting either.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Half Boost
    Has anyone here ever touched up their needles or gauge faces, and if so what kind of paint did you use.

I repainted all of mine in a semi-gloss black from a spray-on can (SEM paint). The most difficult part is cleaning and scuffing them to where they'll take paint. The removable speedo and tach needles are easier than the fixed ones on the other four gauges.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Has anyone here ever touched up their needles or gauge faces, and if so what kind of paint did you use.
    I painted my GT's speedo needle with 'Testors' orange model paint. It came out like OEM. I was impressed with the match.
    CIMG1914.jpg
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

I had mine orange briefly after installing the white gauge faces but immediately found that I couldn't see the orange pointers at night with the orange illumination. So I painted them all black. Nicer contrast both in daylight and with the orange back lighting now. I have pics somewhere.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Something doesn't look right. Doesn't the SVO tach go to 8K?? Hence my continuous quest to get to 8K when driving to use up all of hte tach space.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Something doesn't look right. Doesn't the SVO tach go to 8K?? Hence my continuous quest to get to 8K when driving to use up all of hte tach space.
    That's my '85GT not my SVO. lol
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

^DOH!

^DOH!
    lol
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

I used a florescent rattle can sprayed into the cap and used a touch up brush carefully , I used paper placed under the pointers and look like new .
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Half Boost
    I repainted all of mine in a semi-gloss black from a spray-on can (SEM paint). The most difficult part is cleaning and scuffing them to where they'll take paint. The removable speedo and tach needles are easier than the fixed ones on the other four gauges.
    Mike, how did you repaint the whole face, is there a paint mask available or what. My other gauges are faded some also and I would love to be able to restore them.

I painted the needles. The faces are vinyl overlays. I probably still have a full set of them somewhere.

Here is a picture of a low mileage unit I have stored in my stash of parts in the dark basement, this has not been retouched. The colors of the tickmarks are nearly as vibrant as the needle same with the tach colors. Most of the units in my SVO's are faded similar to the other picture posted here some not quite as bad. Don't know what I will ever do with this unit, I don't want it to fade!!001.jpg

Very nice , something you don't find very often.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Here's a low mile canadian speedo, plus, I see you're in Canada...canadiancluster.jpg

Half Boost
    Now I'm really jealous!
    Has anyone seen the gauge overlays anywhere for sale?? All I could find is white face and I would like to find stock black ones.

Also, does anyone here have led lights in their dashes, and if so would you recommend them or not and why???

I don't recall seeing (recently) stock-colored gauge overlays. I would first try contacting the places that make the white ones and ask about them making a set in custom [stock] colors.

The bulb holders are already orange on the SVO clusters so all the white light from the bulbs is filtered to only orange. I suspect if one changed from clear to orange bulbs, I suspect they would merely appear darker.