Thread: Has anyone here ever swapped their 7.5" rear for Lincoln Mk VII 8.8'?

Building Boost

Has anyone here ever swapped their 7.5" rear for Lincoln Mk VII 8.8'?

A while ago, I bought a 92 Lincoln Mark VII 8.8 complete rear axle. My original 7.5" SVO rear has seen better days plus my new engine will be making considerably more power than the original. The Mark rear is complete with all brakes and axles.

Some question for those who know:

1, What is the track width of the Mark VII 8.8 vs. my 85 SVO? Can my SVO axles be bolted in place in the lincoln stuff? Since the Mark VII is a 5-lug already, do I even need to?

2. I don't think the Mark VII has the quad-shock setup. Unless I cut off and weld the brackets from my 7.5, is there a severe hit to performance with using them? Alternatives?

Any other info you can give or advice would be welcome!

Thanks,

Phil

Did you get an LSC model? If you did all you will need to do is swap the brake lines from the calipers to the body. The axles are the same between the SVO and the Lincoln. There are no provisions for the quads but I would not worry about it. There use to be a kit to add the quads maybe someone has one.

Building Boost
    Yes, this is an LSC 8.8. I have read that these are the 3.27 geared, traction lock rear ends. I have also heard they are a little wider than the SVO rear because of the ABS rings on the axle shafts. IF so, how much wider and is this cause for concern?

I have a set of 3.73 Ford Racing gears coming for it, but some on other boards have suggested that I try the 3.27 gear to see how it works out. I am fairly certain that my 85 SVO has a 3.73 7.5", and with that steep a gear, I was shifting ALOT. Maybe the 3.27 will yeild some better performance? Who knows?

Any thoughts on this?

It is the same width and does come with the 3.26 gears. It also has a trac loc. I have installed this same diff in an 85.5 SVO. I did swap out the gearing for the 3.73s. I would try the 3.26 before you swap them out.

Half Boost
    You may find better gas mileage but certainly not better pick up.