Thread: Repop inner reglue?

Half Boost

Repop inner reglue?

My after market inner had the lens fall off over winter. Bright side it was sitting right there on the bumper. Any recommendations for glue/epoxy/silicone?

Half Boost
    I had the same problem.
    First thing first, take some sandpaper and remove the chrome plating from around the edge where the lens and the housing go together.
    I used 80 grit sandpaper to give the epoxy something to bite into. Make sure to get all the plating off.
    Then do the same thing to the matching edge on the lens. I used one minute epoxy that I had from Permatex, but you can use anything that will work on plastics.

I too have had some inner parking lamps loose the lens. Follow dagenham's advice on cleaning up the chrome. I prefer clear silicone sealant to reattach the lens. Obviously, let the silicone cure FAR away from the car.

Half Boost
    Enlighten me on silicone and not curing near the car?

Silicone and painting don't mix. I had a car painted about 10 years ago, the painter kept getting fish eyes and told me it was silicone.
    From what I understand, once it is dry it is fine. It puts out vapors when curing that tend to piss off painters.
    There are lots of other things that cause fish eyes; silicone is one of them. Some anti-antiperspirants and laundry detergents cause them too.

Some Boost
    yeah, when we do repairs on dealership cars we have to take meticulous care to remove all their silicone clean and shine products, fish eyes will come thru primer to base coat even!!

Half Boost
    And this happens to cars with 20 year old paint? I put on my Ford blue oval on the hatch with silicone last year. Guess I ought to check my paint!

Once the paint is cured, you won't have any problem with the existing paint if silicone is exposed to the paint.
    The problem arises when there is silicone and you try to apply new paint as spraying new paint over silicone (even a tiny amount) causes fisheyes. As in2fords said above, "we have to take meticulous care to remove all their silicone clean and shine products".

All this being said, I still prefer silicone sealant to reattach the lens. I just glue the lens back to the lamp far, far away from any of my vehicles.