Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '86 2R build thread. "Project tax return"

'86 2R build thread. "Project tax return"

Took her for the last spin before the build. Engine is ready to pull now, hoping this Thursday if weather cooperates.

Cp pistons, stinger fmic, 3g upgrade, gutted/ported intake, walbro 255, bob log, 3" exhaust, garrett 50 trim, stinger p.I.m.p, adj cam gear, doing roller ranger for now until I have 2k for a no head. It's just going to be a street cruiser for now to take to the mustang club of kc cruise nights and such, Si hopefully this ranger cam with the cam gear will be good for now.

What it has now, k&n, gillis, adj fpr, pretty stock.

Half Boost
    Good looking car!

Man that's a clean looking car! Bonus points for RED. How many miles on it?

Hey rodster, I talked to you over on FEP. 75k on mine.

What kind of wheels are on it? Are they cobra? We have an '86 2R and I like those wheels a lot!

Those came off of a '95 cobra. I believe they came on 94-97 cobras maybe the 98??? But i thought the 98 had a 5 spoke that resembled the r wheels more. I could be wrong.

The cam has been previously converted to a roller. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is or who made it. Only has "kw117" and a seperate larger "4" in between cam lobes. No markings front nor back. Need help figuring out what this thing is!!

The only for-sure way to id a cam profile is to assemble the head/block/rocker/cam belt/etc. - all assembled with proper rocker geometry - and install a dial indicator on the valve retainer, degree wheel on the crank snout and map it out. Then you will see the total lift, total duration, ramps, acceleration rates, etc.

Unless you have access to a cam lobe mapping machine. You will still need the appropriate rocker to get the final numbers though.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Update: engine was suppose to come out today. Rain all day is in the forecast. Looks like next week instead. Ugh

"project tax return"...gotta love it.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Time for an update, got the engine out on a beautiful day. Going to the machine shop next week. Bottom end looks great, knew the rings were shot from.the leak down, and the top ring on cyl. 2 came off in 5 pieces. Sweet.

... and the top ring on cyl. 2 came off in 5 pieces. Sweet.
    JB Weld??

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Looking good, hopefully the machine shop doesn't find anything 'hidden' in there. BTW, I am surprised Mike didn't point out the matching RED dizzy rotor

Just a quick note on the Cobra wheels, as being a previous owner of a set, they were that style for 94-97. 94-95 versions had silver painted inserts and the 96-97 versions had the metallic charcoal painted inserts, which is very close to the color of our charcoal trim. Here is an example of what they look like on a 1C version SVO:

DSCF4188ss.jpg
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Got most of the wiring fixed today. Stuck on a couple of things that someone hopefully can help me with.

There is a cut blue wire coming out of a connector on the Dr. Side. Same connector has the oil pressure sender wire and I'm not sure what the other 2 wire connector is. I need to know what the blue wire that is cut is for.

Pic of blue wire cut. And the oil press. Sending wire and another 2 wire connector coming out of thevsame connector that the blue wire is cut on.

Also, the generator connector is melted, and the black/org tracer wire is showing copper. Any fixes for this? I'm sure finding a connector isn't that easy unless I find a donor.

Certainly need to get that wiring fixed. Unfortunately I don't have my reference material with me, but I am sure Mike could quote it off the top of his head.

As for the alternator harness, that is pretty typical, you will likely see the plastic melted away from the blades inside the connector as well. Ford went way undersized for that lead and it shows. I would not even consider replacing it with another stock setup, it is marginal at best. Best bet is to upgrade to one of Pat's harnesses, that bypasses that connection, pretty easy install and much safer. I saw almost a 1.0V jump at my battery with Pat's wire upgrade, along with no more dimming of the lights/turn signals when sitting at idle at a light.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Thank you for the help. That's one thing taken care of, how do I go about aquiring one of these wire kits from pat? Yes, we will wait for mike to see if he can tell me what the cut blue wire is.

I've been looking at wiring diagrams on Mitchell and they are very limited and less than spectacular. Haven't found anything yet. I'm hoping mike or someone has some diagrams that are complete. Looks like Mitchell just has diagrams for things such as window, horn, wipers, etc.

Blue nuts AND blue wires? Next they''re start making blue cars!

Not that sure on the 86 harness, but in that same ares is the engine coolant temp sender on the upper rear of the block (for the dash gauge, under the oil pressure take-off block) that uses the same push-on stud connector end as the oil pressure sender. And on the 86 there is the sump oil level sensor wire. There is also a push-on stud connector used on the starter solenoid, but I suspect that's in a different harness stub? Hard to tell without seeing the whole harness.

That 2-wire connector looks like it goes to the 2-wire cooling fan thermo switch that lives in the lower intake.

If I remember, I will check the 86 EVTM over the weekend in between watching races, drinking beer, and prepping the EVO for paint.

I need to see more of the harness area to know were is is on the engine and car. There's not enough context in that pic above.

Mike could you post a picture of this cooling fan thermo switch? My intake does not have a place for it I'm afraid.

When I get home I will post better pictures.