Thread: Control Arm Spring Pocket

Control Arm Spring Pocket

I am doing the conversion and installing new SN95 Lower Control Arms on my SVO using the MM adapters. I understand the stock SVO springs will be too long due to the difference in the stock vs. SVO arm. My question is how much too long are the stock SVO springs to achieve the same ride height?
    86 SVO (9L)

Not sure how to answer your question. Are you asking how much longer is the stock SVO spring compared or how much to chop an SVO spring to achieve the same ride height? The ride height ends up being about an inch taller with the SVO springs doing the swap over. I would get a set of the Motorsport b springs or the Eiback springs. They will lower the ride height from a stock SVO a little and I like the improved ride and handling. Don't forget you will need to reset the sway bar height and will need to drill a hole in the control arm to attach the SVO sway bar

Well I got it done yesterday, new MOOG SN95 lower control arms. They came with the ball joint and bushings for $87 each. I wound up cutting the original SVO springs 3/4", did not have to drill another hole for the sway bar. The ride height is the same as before. I had intended to install the new MOOG springs I bought but the old springs were severely pitted in the lower coil and had been powder coated, so I decided to just cut them and save the new springs for another project.

I measured the difference in the spring pocket depth between the stock control arms and the SN95 arms (3/4") and just shortened the springs by that much.

The results are fantastic, the car drives like new and I couldn't be happier, no rocket science required
    86 SVO (9L)

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Take a picture of how much you cut the springs and what the ride height is now. I sure people would like to see it. Which control arm did you get? Early or late? Besides new bushings the ball joint is a low friction variey. That should translate into slightly less steering effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. Take a picture of how much you cut the springs and what the ride height is now. I sure people would like to see it. Which control arm did you get? Early or late? Besides new bushings the ball joint is a low friction variey. That should translate into slightly less steering effort.
    The control arms I ordered were p/n RK620900, and RK620899. The application is from 1994-2004.

I had bought a used set of control arms from a 99 Mustang. I ordered a pair of K8749 Ball Joints and was also going to have to replace the bushings. After I checked on prices of bushings and work involved to press out the parts, blast, paint and reinstall the joints and bushings, it was a no brainer for me to buy the new arms considering the price and time saved. I will keep the K8749 joints of future use.

The joints that are in the new arms do seem to be low friction (easily moved by hand) and are different than the K8749s, which are pretty tight to move. The new arm has a lifetime warranty so I think I'm in a good place. I cut about 1/2 a coil from the springs. I think I still have the pieces I cut off, I'll try and get a picture of the parts and also the stance of the car now.

Mark
    86 SVO (9L)

The control arm on the mustang was redesigned in 99. The new arm is good for about a 10% reduction in turning radius over the earlier arm. They will interchange.

The new arm is good for about a 10% reduction in turning radius over the earlier arm.
    Wouldn't that also require a mod to the amount of travel provided by the steering rack? Assuming the arm mod provides more rim/tyre clearance?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Wouldn't that also require a mod to the amount of travel provided by the steering rack? Assuming the arm mod provides more rim/tyre clearance?
    Yes and no. It will be dependant upon which rack and arms are currently installed. Many of the racks have limiters installed and they can be added or taken off. Of course changing tires and wheels will have an effect also.

Of course changing tires and wheels will have an effect also.
    Not if the movement (turn angle of the spindle) by the steering arm doesn't change. A smaller wheel/tyre (narrower) with more clearance to the a-arm and suspension parts will be capable of turning farther before it touches something, but will not do so without steering rack/tie-rod arm angle changes.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mike, could you point out a thread where someone put on smaller tires and wheels.

Mike, could you point out a thread where someone put on smaller tires and wheels.
    Most all drag race cars have smaller [then stock] front wheels and tyres. I suspect there's a couple drag racers here.

But I don't hang out with that crowd much.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    I tried to add some pictures but they won't upload, the little wheel just keeps turning round and round.
    86 SVO (9L)

I tried to add some pictures but they won't upload, the little wheel just keeps turning round and round.
    We call that "Even-Numbered Day Internet Syndrome".

Email them (with notes about which thread/post to attach to) to webmaster@svocop.com and I'll see if I can get Mitch to post them for you.

Just a question.

These control arms you listed "p/n RK620900, and RK620899", do these have a pocket for the coil spring? I only ask bc I did a search on the p/n's and the pics shown did not show a pocket for the coil spring....maybe the pics are not representative of the actual control arm?

Thanks
    Frank
    1985.5 9L
    1986 1D owned since 1992 and on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    Just a question.

These control arms you listed "p/n RK620900, and RK620899", do these have a pocket for the coil spring? I only ask bc I did a search on the p/n's and the pics shown did not show a pocket for the coil spring....maybe the pics are not representative of the actual control arm?

Thanks
    They do have a pocket, just not as deep as the SVO control arm. They appear just like the stock steel stamped Fox body control arms. BTW I have been driving this car for awhile now, it's like a whole different car, about the best project I have done on it so far.

I looked up the picture, you are correct, The actual arm is nothing like the picture shown. If you took a picture of a stock Mustang Control arm that is what is what they look like. Pretty much like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1987-198...r#ht_747wt_916

Mark
    86 SVO (9L)

Some Boost