Thread: Sticky Calipers

Question Sticky Calipers

Both front calipers on my 2R intermittently stick. The car sat for a number of years before I bought it. Would it be worth trying a good thorough flush with new brake fluid before rebuilding and/or replacing the calipers? I don't know at this point if the pistons are phenolic or steel.

Thanks, Paul (cheap sob)
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Steel piston calipers are about $25ea at Oreilly's, i'd just replace 'em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I haven't priced out reman calipers lately ... but a IIRC 40.00 being the high end.

Or get the kit to rebuild it yourself much cheaper but you'll to put some time into it.

I would replace ... just cause its the brakes.

-RICH-
    I'm a car junkie . . . I like junkie cars

I already ordered both from the Car Quest I used to work at, A-1 Cardone @ $22.00 each with steel pistons.
    The brakes work great most of the time, I asked more out of curiosity before I wasted my time trying it.

I always install the 'self-bleeders' with the one way check valves, one of the best things I ever found for my cars.

I think you know that you should suck out all the old fluid in the master and top off with fresh brake fluid,
    and bleed the the calipers starting with the rears.

Have fun
    -RICH-
    I'm a car junkie . . . I like junkie cars

Quote Originally Posted by SVO4PWR2 View Post
    I think you know that you should suck out all the old fluid in the master and top off with fresh brake fluid,
    and bleed the the calipers starting with the rears.

Have fun
    -RICH-
    Yep, always do! Start with the 'farthest first' and work towards the MC.
    I do miss the pressure bleeder we had at the garage I worked at in my early 20s.
    Held a quart + of fluid in it's resevoir, clamp on top of the master, hook up an air line, flush and bleed at the same time.

BTW - as the fluid travels the farthest caliper from the MC is the left rear, then right rear and on the front circuit it's the right front, then left front. Front and rear are completely separate circuits. The large MC reservoir is for the front; small for rear.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    BTW - as the fluid travels the farthest caliper from the MC is the left rear, then right rear and on the front circuit it's the right front, then left front. Front and rear are completely separate circuits. The large MC reservoir is for the front; small for rear.
    Good point Mike, I am aware of all that. Please keep in mind I was taught this process on cars prior to '65 when Fords had single brake systems.
    That's what I learned on, just like cars that didn't have flippin' computers in them...lol

Half Boost
    I can relate to the sticking brake issues. I bought new rear calipers when I did my 8.8 and forgot about the steal pistons. Now they groan when I pull out of a parking spot I backed into. Need to fix that!

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    I can relate to the sticking brake issues. I bought new rear calipers when I did my 8.8 and forgot about the steal pistons. Now they groan when I pull out of a parking spot I backed into. Need to fix that!
    They offer non-steel rear pistons?? If so, what brand so I can avoid? I thought the rears had to be steel due to the integral parking brake mechanism. This is all moot if Bruce is talking about his front calipers...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Half Boost
    Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. The rear drag after parking (backing in in particular) I just assumed the non steal was the problem!!