Thread: Fuel Pump Install

Noob

Fuel Pump Install

Friends,
    I pulled the fuel tank this morning and then the fuel pump. I emptied the tank as the fuel had been sitting for quite a while. I was able to get the fuel tank off with no problems, lowered it down, disconnected everything fine. The problem is when I go to put the new pump in, I cant get it to seat correctly. I must not be holding my mouth correct, or something simple as that. The part numbers match up to the old fuel pump, so I know it is the correct one, I just cant get it fit in. Will keep trying but does anyone have any advice?

This is on my 85 SVO. Thanks in advance, I am going to put the new fuel filter on while waiting for help.

The Mallethead (Wayne)

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Is it a new "out of the box" pump with bracket and sock or did you bolt a new pump into your existing bracket??? Getting the sock into the pocket where it sits into the tank can take some fenagling!!! I'd play with it a bit more and compare the new setup with the old. If it all looks the same just try jiggling it a bit. It should just drop in but getting the angle right takes some patience. You have to insert it at one angle, swing it a bit and then lower away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noob
    Thanks Chris! I did find the problem, it was a bent locking tab. You are correct though, it took some patience to get it to seat correctly. Now I have the stupid question of the day... I didnt mark the fuel lines when I disconnected the pump..both are black, both have locking tabs and now I dont know which goes where. I know if just "throwitupthere" it will be reversed. Any suggestions? Also, I did find out the tank valve in front of the pump is not available over the counter. Mine was in bad shape, but I cleaned it up and siliconed it in place. I dont believe it will give me any problems as I had to do the same on my dodge pickup truck.

The pressure line should have the removable clip on it while the return line should have the duckbill. That's how they came from the factory.

The metal tubes on the pump adapter are different sizes. While both nylon flex tubes (hoses?) are 5/16", the pressure side fitting is 5/16 connector and the return uses a 1/4" connector. It should be obvious which metal tube in the pump tank holder thingie is larger.

The pic here may help.

http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post22286
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Thanks Mike! I may have to get a replacement duckbill as it seems mine is finished. I appreciate the help and hope to hear this baby fire up tomorrow!

Noob
    ITS ALIVE!!!

Friends, after several years of sitting, my 85 4e breathed life! I bought this originally when I was in Kuwait, so this is the very first time I have ever heard it run. I had the engine and transmission completely rebuilt, but after having the car delivered (it sat for more than a year and a half) it would not fire over. Another 18 months past while I was in the DC area but it has finally happened! It runs!!! Now to put it back together (the interior is out of the car) and hopefully have some fun with it! I am hoping to bring it down to Alabama where I am living now, but we will see. Thanks for all your help and advice!

Congrats on getting this VERY long-term project running!!

Someone get this man a beer!

( you know we're expecting to see video soon, right?? )
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Mallethead View Post
    ITS ALIVE!!! Friends, after several years of sitting, my 85 4e breathed life! I bought this originally when I was in Kuwait, so this is the very first time I have ever heard it run.
    Congrats are definitely in order here. Glad to hear you got it running.