Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Sunday afternoon project, 84 shifter

Building Boost

Sunday afternoon project, 84 shifter

Have to share, I was so happy for result. Probably been discussed before, please forgive me...

Only thing I have really hated on my 84 since first drive is shifter. That too long and totally misplaced darn rod. I have to stretch my fingers to shift to 3. and 5. Or then I just have totally different length arms than average Joe.. Today was nice and too warm afternoon to do anything useful, so got this solved. Just one hour and two beers after I had pulled shifter rod (that stock curved one) from my 88 TC parts car and replaced that annoying original with zero price

What a difference it made. Now shifter is exactly where it should be at least for me, much lower and 2-3 inches backwards. And even throws are maybe half of travel they used to be. Too pity that original knob doesn't fit, but had almost unused 03 Cobra leather knob which doesn't look that bad on SVO interior. And it's quite heavy compared to original, gives bit better shifting feel.

And please don't tell me how much better Steeda etc shifters are. For me this was best ever FREE upgrade. Was so happy after test drive that had to grab one more beer
    Lauri

1984 Mustang SVO 1C
    1988 Tbird TC 1C

Perfect upgrade, free, and only took 2 beers to do.

Building Boost
    Can't beat that lol

I like how our SVO time is measured in beers and not hours!!!!!
    Dark Charcoal Metallic (2A to 9W)
    225/50/17 on 2005 GT Premium Rims
    70k miles

Good deal, glad to hear the T-bird arm works better than the original! The original shifters really are not bad at all, it comes down to the geometry of the arm and that damn crappy rubber isolation bushing. Removing the rubber is a 100% upgrade, IMHO. I recently replaced my original shifter unit with an MGW unit, because the body cup area of the original shifter where the pivot ball rides was just plain worn out. I have to say, the feel is almost identical to the original shifter, way closer than I ever expected. YMMV.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVO8T4 View Post
    I like how our SVO time is measured in beers and not hours!!!!!
    Why do you think the restorations take so long? I never had a drop of alcohol until I bought an SVO.....just sayin. That's an awful strong coincidence.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Half Boost
    I took my shifter in my 84 apart and found someone had put nuts in place of the rubber bushings. As for the SVO driving you to drinking, that's OK if you don't drive home after.