Thread: Folvo, or "what have I started now" or science fair project.

Folvo, or "what have I started now" or science fair project.

I now have three Volvo DOHC, 4 valve heads. Let's see what kind of trouble I can get into.

The goal is to cut one up, take another as a near stock build and stick it in the red SVO for a proof of concept, then do a full boogie build for the racecar.

I intend to use the Don Haulsee approach of plugging the block instead of welding up the head.

Tony Wright and I have been in communication about how best to build the mutant, we'll see how it goes.

Don't expect constant substantial progress, but that almost goes without saying.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

The disease progresses into Stage 4.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    oh boy......more destruction is imminent!!!!!

God luck with this mate, I would love to see some numbers on one of these builds one day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noob

Smile

Speaking of Don Haulsee, HERE is his recent "7-Years After" post over on TF.....where he describes the various plusses and minuses/do's and don'ts of his Folvo build.

C'ya - RAY

I need to figure out how to get my camera working, as pictures will be important.

Half Boost
    I would love to see one of these freaks in person and running.
    The guys at ford six performance are building aluminum heads for the Ford 200c.i. inline six. Mostly so a choice of intake and induction setups can be bolted on.
    Maybe someone should look into building a 4V head for the 2.3, even if it is a cast iron version.

Noob

Smile

Casting a cylinder head or block is much easier said than done!! If you were to consult a foundry &/or pattern maker, you'd probably be "shell-shocked" over the intricacies and costs involved. Besides......J/Y Volvo B234F heads are readily available for reasonable cost and can be adapted with relative ease, compared to casting/tooling a new head. Plus, they have good aftermarket support with cams, valves, etc..

C'ya - RAY

Half Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboRay View Post
    Casting a cylinder head or block is much easier said than done!! If you were to consult a foundry &/or pattern maker, you'd probably be "shell-shocked" over the intricacies and costs involved. Besides......J/Y Volvo B234F heads are readily available for reasonable cost and can be adapted with relative ease, compared to casting/tooling a new head. Plus, they have good aftermarket support with cams, valves, etc..

C'ya - RAY
    I know, it took them years to get it into production. I was thinking out loud as much as anything.

Just picked up a set of pistons that Renai had cut for the Volvo head. I plan to use them on the "proof of concept" NA build. Which will probably turn into the "just one more psi" blow up build. LOL

Starting to look at solutions for the timing belt.

What's the general consensus? Or is there one? Hal looked like he was using one tensioner, but it didn't have a lot of wrap around the intake cam. I've seen another that used a modified 2.3 tensioner paired with a stock Volvo.

At one point I thought someone was making a dual tensioner setup for sale, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Pyropete and Yoshifab no longer have anything.

A head is going to Nick Smithberg (our EMC head guru) to be worked over. I've talked to him about working on it to survive at Bonneville and an 8,000 rpm redline.

We are meeting up at Bonneville next week.

Bob I must admit I'm a little disappointed.... Pent roof chambers, increased quench area, centrally located spark plugs, higher peak CFM capability, increased valve curtain area, increased average flow throughout lift curve, aluminum alloy for weight reduction and improved heat dissipation ... It's a damn shame. I will discuss this futher with you hopefully tomorrow, btw I saw your text or missed call- tag you're it!!! Folvo FTL.... Turbocharged, nitromethanol fueled stock block and stock re-worked iron head 2.3 FTW. Just sayin'....

Side note...Bob, I'd really like to go with you this year, please keep this phone tag thing going I need a break for a few days.

All My Love,
    Bo ;-)

Noob
    Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVY9z7-l0U seems to have some good info. Or, maybe not. I'm just another Noob.

Thanks.

Cool video. That swap is not for the faint at heart....
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

He had some good ideas and lots of mods. Then he forgot to install some upper radiator mounts. Ugh!

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    He had some good ideas and lots of mods. Then he forgot to install some upper radiator mounts. Ugh!
    But...he did have the warning decal on the fan shroud.

Nice setup, lots of hours went into that.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Half Boost
    That was a nice video, but I wanted to hear it run.

That was a nice video, but I wanted to hear it run.
    Agreed.