Thread: Replacement battery cables

Some Boost

Replacement battery cables

Hi,

What is the proper length for both battery cables? I don't have originals to compare to and everything online is generic.

Also, anyone have any luck finding a negative battery cable with the eyelet and connector into the wiring harness? I suspect not, but figure I'd ask.

Thanks,

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Chris,

from the Ford manual,
    positive e3sz-14300-a or Motorcraft wc-8540, 21" long and 4 awg.
    negative to ground, e3sz-14301-a or Motorcraft wc-8541, 32" long, 4 awg with 6.5" ground wire.
    As you might know original cables might go for $100 or more. There are lots of others very close.

Ron Francis Wiring was looking into making high quality replacements for Foxes.

There are three main "battery" cables. The negative one goes from Battery (-) to one of lower bolts on the power steering pump bracket to the block.

The battery (+) terminal has a shorter cable that only goes to the hot side of the starter solenoid on the inner fender.

The switched side of the starter solenoid has a third cable that goes down across the front of the block - with a bracket that mounts to the front of the block (I would need to check but I think one of the mounts is to the AC bracket front) - and continues on to the starter motor top.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

NOtice also WHERE the cable goes into the LUG for the post of the battery.
    Both enter from the side and the positive has the cover to prevent shorting.

Some Boost
    Hi,

I'm giving up on finding originals or good ones via the usual auto parts stores. All look way too fragile.

I found a place that can build new cables, for around $38 each. But I'm not positive of all the options.

Does this look right:
    Positive: 4GA SGX - 21" long. Right-hand terminal on the battery. HD 5/16" lug
    Negative 4GA SGX - 32 long, right hand terminal on the battery, 6.5" ground wire, HD 5/16" lug.

Questions: what gauge on the ground wire? What lug size on each of the cables?

Here is where I'm thinking about getting them: http://custombatterycables.com/custo...nline_form.php

Anyone have experience with these guys? Or can recommend someone else to make cables?

Thanks,

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure it isn't CCA (COPPER clad Aluminum) cable.

4AWG as listed above is what you want to use.

Lug hole size of 5/16" or 8mm.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I just purchased a positive cable from Advanced Auto. The stock one was too long. The new one has a small wire off the big one that I'm running to the fan.

Some Boost
    Thanks. What gauge for the small wire that comes off the negative cable and goes to the fender?
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

That should be 10AWG.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

The little wire looks like a 12 or 14

Some Boost
    Well I screwed up.

When I ordered the negative cable I didn't change the gauge of the smaller wire, so I now have a 4 ga wire for the EEC harness. Totally my screw up.

Any options on what I can do?

- run it to a lug and the EEC harness to the same lug?
    - 'splice it' using a splicer/reducer like this: https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...spx?zpid=29340
    - suck it up and buy another one?

Thanks,

Chris
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Half Boost
    I think I would suck it up and get another one with the right size wire.